Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see the indicator repeaters on the dash of my 650 Transalp unless I tilt my head downwards - the repeaters are hidden by the chin bar of my helmet.

I am looking for a simple repeater that i can mount on the screen where I can see it. A product called 'bikeflash' looks like the right thing ( http://www.blinksafe.com/ ) Has anyone come across this? Or is there another product that does a similar thing?

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
60 Posts
A couple of thin wires and an LED would do surely?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I pinched this from a forum I used to be a member of

How to fit High Level Indicator Repeaters

When wearing a full face helmet I can’t see the indicator repeaters (the chin piece obscures them from view) and I forget to cancel them.
I initially tried buzzers but found that I couldn’t hear them at speeds over 40mph. So I devised this idea.
High Level Indicator Repeater
Parts required
2 x 5mm green superbright leds (3.3v)
2 x 560ohm resistors
1 x chocolate block connector
16 feet (approx 5metres) of fine wire
(Mine came from an old phone cable)
Tools required
2, 5 & 6mm drills
hand drill (not electric)

1) After removing the screen, from the rider’s side, drill a 2mm pilot hole through the screen “horn” at an angle such that you don’t drill through the brass insert for the top screen mounting screw. Don’t angle the leds to shine in your eyes – they are bright and will dazzle you at night!!! This hole can then be drilled out to 5mm to accept a 5mm led.
2) From the reverse (screen) side carefully counter-bore this hole to 6mm using a HAND drill. If you use an electric drill, you’ll drill right through when (not if) the drill “snatches” and your led will fall out!!!
I judged the depth of counter-bore by trial fitting an led several times until the end of the led just protruded through the “horn”.
3) Solder 2 x 24” (600mm) lengths of colour coded wire to each led noting which is +ve and –ve (leds are NOT reversible) and insert the leds into the “horns”. I then plugged the holes with blue-tac to keep them in place.
4) Drill a 2mm hole in the base of each “horn” adjacent to the mounting screw hole, and drill a matching hole through the instrument surround. Run the led wires down the “horn” beneath the screen rubber and through the holes you’ve just drilled in the base, and tape them in position. Refit the screen “horns” remembering to thread the new wires through the matching holes you’ve drilled in the instrument surround.
5) On the rear of each front indicator solder, 2 colour coded wires to each bulb holder.
6)It’s then a simple matter of wiring each led to each indicator with a resistor in series for each led (I used a chocolate block connector which I’ve located above the headlight behind the removable front panel).chocolate block If either led doesn’t work then swap the wires round and try again. The led won’t be damaged by reverse polarity – unless you forgot the resistor – in which case it’s now scrap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - brilliant! I was just logging on to reply to your first post, to say "great idae, but how do I do that?" Obviously you are well ahead of me. I'll try ths out& get back to you to tell you the outcome.

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts