Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My cousin - god bless his cotton pickin' soul - showed up on his Yam on Wed. evening and over a cuppa mentioned that he was off to see a new house build belonging to some mutual friends over in the borders and did I want to come along for the ride. Pretty silly question really as I'm after getting as many miles of experience under my bum as a late starter to this racket and keen to catch up. So up early and having already checked and prepped the bike the previous evening (SteveT take note) it was off to meet up with him in Castle Douglas.
From there to Dalbeattie where we filled up and got on with the serious business of riding!
Dumfries to Lockerbie where we took the wrong road and ended up in Langholm - actually given the type of day it was no road could be the wrong road and we just added a couple of extra miles - it was a hardship I'll admit but there you go!
Headed back up to Eskdalemuir and SamyeLing Monastery and after a bit of early lunch headed on to Selkirk. What a road - what a day - just could not have been better - hardly any traffic at all apart from a gaggle of ABR's going the opposite way - who were those masked guys - a few Bimmers and at least one Tenere - I was too busy nodding my head and waving and trying desperately not to veer off the tarmac whilst looking cool at the same time - perhaps one of the hardest combinations to achieve in this biking world.
On the outskirts of Selkirk in the middle of the golf course above a little parking area there is some seating that some thoughtful soul built, it seemed, just for the two of us. Along with a bunch of non biting midges - the joys of early Spring. So we sat and had our lunch proper with coffee and sandwiches, juice and fruit - not a bacon butty to be seen. (The only down side to the whole day!) Then off around the Eildon Hills looking for this building site which we found near Newton St Boswells. A quick look around and then off to Peebles where I had to check out a gallery space I've been offered for an exhibition. Good excuse for a couple of posh coffees - needed that cafeine intake bigtime!
After that a quick run home via Stobo Castle, the Beef Tub, Moffat (top off with fuel), Dumfries and back to Castle Douglas where I said goodbye and headed solo back to New Galloway. 240 miles of pure bliss with just enough gravel on the corners to keep you on your toes but not too much to ruin the journey.
Oh - did I mention it was bliss. And another 64 mpg!!!
Ian P1020380w.jpg P1020382w.jpg P1020383w.jpg P1020385w.jpg P1020387w.jpg P1020389w.jpg

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Glad to hear you are getting the miles in Ian, nice down my way innit. :toothy10:

Andy

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
I meant to say Ian, if you are doing an exhibition in Peebles give me a shout and I will come along and show support, easy for me as I work in Peebles and have a fair bit of spare time now and then. :toothy1:

Andy.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Nice one Ian and 64 mpg

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lovely, Andy, and lots of roads I don't know. If we hadn't had that schedule I would have emailed you to see if we could get together - will do next time. And I'll let you know about the ex - we could partake of a little chardonnnay and peruse the images on show!!
Thanks Paul.
Ian

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Glad to hear you are getting the miles in Ian, nice down my way innit. :toothy10:

Andy
Looks a bit grey to me :D

Good to hear you're getting the miles under the riding belt, Ian :thumbup:.

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Looks a bit grey to me :D
How very dare you young lady! I'll have you know there are no grey areas here, only black and white.
;) :toothy10:

Andy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts