Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thing's been fighting me from the start!!

Firtst every bolt in sight was rouded off and more stuck than Stucky McStuckins, mayor of Stucksville, on National Stuckday :mad:

Now finally I've come to the point I can put the XRV650 pistons back into the bore...
And after nearly breaking my thumbs while pushing is in, I've now ripped a dust seal :(
I've cleaned the rings as best I could but it won't do apparently.

So I find myself relying on the wisdom of the board once again.
Has anyone got any tips on reassembling the front caliper?

Much obliged!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
after struggling for years with ring spanners as levers and big screwdrivers I lossing skin every time final bit the bullet and bought a Draper special tool

Draper, Caliper Wind Back Tool: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

I paid about £15 a few years ago , thought I was mad but have used it a few times now and it works a treat :toothy7:

ohhh
plenty of silcon oil you usually get a small tube with the seals

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
First every bolt in sight was rouded off and more stuck than Stucky McStuckins, mayor of Stucksville, on National Stuckday :mad:
Is that in Stuck County, New Stuckia?

Good luck with your new wind-back tool. You know it makes sense...

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
smear the seal & piston with brake fluid & insert a slightly smaller socket with a stumpy extension bar in the open end of the piston, always works a treat for me, 2/3 seconds per piston.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Hmmmmmm I'm a bit confused here.

Taking them apart can usually be a bit of a pain, but putting them together should be a doddle!

Make 100% sure that the calipers, and particularly the grooves that the seals sit in are clean and free of corrosion. The grooves will need scraping out, and I usually use the cranked end of a suitably sized allen/hex key.

When it's time for reassembly, use plenty of clean brake fluid on all the seals, and then cover the pistons in it too. Release the bleed nipple, so trapped air can get out, then wiggle the pistons gently in. They should slide all the way in with minimum effort.

Good Luck

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Boba's right. As I said earlier, I use a G clamp to wind back pistons to change pads. Reading your post properly :oops: putting pistons in a fluid free caliper with the bleed nipple out should be an absolute doddle.

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Did you remove the bleed nipples?! You have to to let the air out to get new pistons in. As said brake fluid to lubricate - shouldn't need more than finger pressure if done correctly

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I agree with all the above comments, it should be easy peesy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did not think about the bleed nipple...

Anyway I'll make sure to re-clean the grooves and give it another try tomorrow evening.

Thanks for the help guys :thumbright:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts