Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.
I have a problem with my 08 700TA. The fuse marked STOP/HORN keeps blowing, causing the stop light, horn and indicators not to work. I dont know what the indicators have got to do with it as they are on another fuse and that fuse is ok. and when you change the horn fuse it all works. Until you operate the starter motor and the horn fuse blows again.
Help fat-mal going nutty.:(

·
Stone Crazy
5,316 Posts
sounds like you may have an earth problem or dead short somewhere in the system

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Cheapest thing first, as Mervin says, look for a pinched cable somewhere.
Have you fiddled anything lately, if so, look around those areas.
Take the two leads of horn and check for voltage across them when you operate starter; use a meter, not your tongue:rolleyes:
You shouldn't get voltage if you're not pressing horn button.
I think that is all overkill for a newish bike, I'd look for a pinch wire somewhere.
An indicator circuit could have gone open circuit, you could take all four bulbs out and test the wiring connections one at a time etc.
Good luck

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had a bit of a play. New fuse all works. Start bike fuse blows. New fuse all works, remove fuse start bike, replace fuse with bike running all ok. stop engine restart with fuse in fuse blows. still going nutty. fat.mal:confused:

·
Toolbox
295 Posts
Friggin´small print in the wiring harness layout in the shop manual, need to blow up the plan sometime on a xerox.
Fuse (horn) white/green powers horn switch *and* indicator relay. Fuse (indicators and clock) red/green wiring leads to the indicator relay and to the dashboard, i.e. to the indicator control lamp. Green wiring from indicator relay is negative (earth), same mass wiring as the horn and the indicators. Grey wiring from indicator relay sends power to the indicator switch, from there power is distributed to Orange (left indicators) and light blue (right indicators).
Horn: The green wiring is mass (see above), the light green cable leads from the horn to the switch. At least this clarifies why horn and indicators fail.
The red/green wiring also leads to the optional theft alarm.

Check the darn indicator relay (actually not a relay, really, but an electronic component). Located behind left side panel, rear of the regulator and two large cable connectors, big black vertical block next to the seat lock cylinder.

Shop manual says, if indicators don´t work, take the indicator relay from the mounting, remove rubber cap, disconnect 4-contact relay plug. Shortcut with piece of wiring between red/green and grey. Switch on ignition, activate indicator switch, check indicators. If indicators don´t work, check red/green and grey cable for damage. If it were me (missus has a 700VA, that´s why I´m interested) I´d do the same thing; if the fuse doesn´t blow with this shortcut in place, it would seem to be the relay.
No warranties, though, it´s late, it´s fine print and I´m tired.
HTH. Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi again Folks.
It seems that I may have found the problem. Under the nearside cover (where the flasher unit is) I found part of the main wiring harness had melted together. I dont know what caused this to happen as I have never disturbed this at any time since I bought the bike 4 years ago. Anyway I stripped the tape back and located 4 melted wires all going to the flasher. I cut back the cables and renewed them by soldering in new lengths of cable and insulating with shrink tube. All has been ok since the weekend, I will keep my eye on it.:thumb:

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Nice find Mal, just watch out for any chffing on the loom that might be why the cables melted. As I said Good find J

1 - 7 of 7 Posts