Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is time to replace my long serving helmet, and I'm thinking of investing in a Bluetooth enabled helmet. I like the idea of listening to a few tunes and podcasts when I'm sat on the motorway, and also on the sunny day each year I like the idea of having a chat with her on the back. But, due to the limited use she gets from a helmet I'd rather spend a bit less and kit her out with a Bluetooth headset, rather than a new helmet. But now I'm worried that a Bluetooth helmet from one manufacturer won't play nicely with a Bluetooth headset from another manufacturer.

So my question is: are all these helmets and headsets compatible? Are they using the Bluetooth ICP profile, so that they can interoperate?

Does anyone have experience of pairing a Viper/Shoei/Schuberth/Nolan helmet with a Cardo/Sena/Chatterbox headset?

Advice and experience willingly received.

Iain

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Reactions: iswoolley

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
New Sena's will connect to any intercom that can connect to a phone (some older ones can update firmware to support this)

Other than that most will only connect to the same make as far as I know (new Cardo's may be the exception as I think I saw they now do the phone trick)

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, what I think I've understood from the linked forum thread and some internet research, is that few/none of the Bluetooth helmets and headsets use the Bluetooth standard ICP profile. Instead they use their own proprietary link, carried over a lower level Bluetooth profile. Which means that you have to buy 2 of the same brand if you want to use the intercom facility.

However, Sena have now launched a "Universal Intercom" feature in v5 of their headset firmware, where the headset pretends to be a phone, and you can then pair the Sena headset with another brand headset. I infer that this means the other headset needs a dual-Bluetooth module if that wants to pair with a phone as well as the Sena headset.

I think all this has answered my question, so thanks Paul and Ian.

Iain

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
So, what I think I've understood from the linked forum thread and some internet research, is that few/none of the Bluetooth helmets and headsets use the Bluetooth standard ICP profile. Instead they use their own proprietary link, carried over a lower level Bluetooth profile. Which means that you have to buy 2 of the same brand if you want to use the intercom facility.

However, Sena have now launched a "Universal Intercom" feature in v5 of their headset firmware, where the headset pretends to be a phone, and you can then pair the Sena headset with another brand headset. I infer that this means the other headset needs a dual-Bluetooth module if that wants to pair with a phone as well as the Sena headset.

I think all this has answered my question, so thanks Paul and Ian.

Iain
spot on,

I'm yet to try the v5 software out on my Sena SMH-10s but in theory I can have a 4 way conference with 2 Senas and 2 'other' intercoms

I was going to try this out at the national but by the time we got round to it the guys with the generic intercoms had flat batteries

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It appears that Nolan's N-Com system also uses the "Universal Intercom" feature, and pretends to be a phone in order to pair with other brand headsets.

Universal intercom

Iain

1 - 6 of 6 Posts