Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everything at work done that needs to be done , so I've been posting randomly here as you can see ..........

I have also been considering my next bike options and if I were going to go for a hike in CCs the two above would be them.

My heed says Beamer but my heart says KTM, there are about a gidzillion reasons why I should not get a KTM and only about one or two reasons to get one. And it's the oppostite way round in favour of the Beamer.

For the beamer .....

the dealer is close by
the back-up is excellent
touratech do hunners of goodies
it's economical (for a fat lass)
it's got a low seat option for my short arse.
the residuals are high (or so we are told when buying).
6k service intervals
shaftie

against the beamer ....

ugly SOB
don't like the "fly-by-wire" dealer can only service using a 'puter.
everybody has got one, don't they ??

For the KTM..........

Just so dammed sexy
looks like the mutts nuts
Still fairly "rare" around these parts

against the KTM

dealer is hunners of miles away
don't know about the back-up , mixed stories
not so many goodies available , but you could get by
burns fuel like a mad arab oilwell owner
it's got a low seat option, but still vertigo inducing
value drops like a stone when out of warranty
4.5k service intervals and the big one (9k) takes 8 hours !!!!!

OH peeps !!!! what would you do ???

·
Good Moaning
525 Posts
I´ve tested both, and regarding the BMW got to the conclusion I am very probably not going to trade the Transalp for it, for some other bike yes, but not that one. I find it lacking responsiveness in low rpms, and very clunky changing gears, on the opposite side the suspension and brakes are great and it feels very well made. I suggest if you don´t want a KTM that you shouldn´t ride one, it´s great, the engine feels like a bomb ready to explode, the sound is great and it´s fast, not the smoothest of things but it makes up for it in grunt and adrenalin, handles very well, like a giant dirtbike on steroids, it´s also more comfortable than I expected, which was a surprise. I don´t think the BMW has a maintenance disadvantage over the KTM, with it´s involving dual tanks and oil visors and stuff. Also don´t know if the KTM wouldn´t be too much of a good thing for me, maybe too grunty, too harsh, too racy.

I´ld really pick a Varadero over the GS for the engine/gearbox feel, and ergonomics.

The KTM is a different kind of bike altogether, it´ll leave you wondering if you test ride one, which is a good thing, sure got my blood pumping

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
i luuuurrrrve the KTM ive got to say the beemers a better bike.........ride them my wee friend cos thats the only way your gonna come to the right choice:pottytrain1:

·
Ex Vara Rider
446 Posts
Check what Minkyhead on the Varadero UK forum has to say about the 1200gs after having one and not been too impressed with the build quality.

The KTM would get my vote after testing a 950 carb version a while ago I seriously considered getting rid of the Vara for one. After a little level head thought I decided the Vara was still the better all rounder.

If you are after spending the money that would get you a 1200gs or KTM. Then I would go for a late Vara plus a KTM enduro and really have the best of both worlds.:p

·
Lost Lost Lost
558 Posts
On the BMW vs KTM issue I just don't know. :confused:

Currently given a 9k budget I would be inclined to hang on to my 1150GSA and spend the remainder of the dosh on an XR650 or even just maybe a BMW 650X-challenge.:confused: :confused:

I must say I do like my BMW but still have naughty dreams about the KTM. :angel10: :angel10:

·
aka Oxbone :)
1,514 Posts
Compared to Beemers KTM suck.....
In fact I just dont like orange vehicles at all... or that sickly Kawasaki green....

Go Beemer wee man....

Build quality alone tells you to.... :)

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
When I was looking to get something else was basically between the GS and KTM. Unfortenately I have propeller blood instead of orange and could not get away from the BMW. When the dealer told me he will do me a HP2 for the same price as a 1200 all logic went out of the window :D

What made me think was how many BMW's I have seen with high mileage compared to KTM with similar. Obviously the fact that the market is flooded with the current lifestyle range of BMW it is wrong to think there is not KTM's equally worthy. I just have not come across say a KTM 950 with 50k miles :dontknow: To be honest if I had the money for both they would be cuddling in my garage as we speak :cool:

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
I know little about either. a friend had a KTM and it was not a reliable bike...he sold his cr to buy a new 950 KTM
this was his first report to me after the trip through Australia

The 950 ran fine all the way up the centre. However, a growling
sound that I had dismissed as chain noise when I test rode the bike turned out
to be specific to third gear and got louder and louder as I did more city
riding. I took it to the local dealer to get it fixed under warranty. I dropped
it off on the 11th of December and picked it up on the 5th of February! Apart
from the usual delay of Christmas/New Year they had broken the oil scraper rings
on both pistons (either taking the barrels off or putting them back on) and had
to order new ones from Perth. But that was not the end of it! I rode the bike
home and it ran like crap (gutless and surging at ). They had a look at it the
next day and found that the paper air filter was full of oil and so they blamed
the lack for the lack of performance. Problem was that wasn't the culprit
either! They then stripped the carbies down and rejetted it. However, it still
isn't running properly and I'll probably trade it in on a car.
For him to now want a car (and no bike) is like him saying his girl friend got fat so he is going gay...

This is my only direct experience.. but it has put me off

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
[KTM sounds a better laugh fun factor wise, my mate bought a 950 supermoto from JD Racing in plymouth just about this time last year and that had valves done on the 1st service. Cost about £400, At the time KTM didn't know how strong the motor was so was case of best tob be safe, he wasn't happy about it but he does love the bike

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
If it comes between a choice and there is not another bike in the world

or

on looks I am afraid the KTM would win it, even though they both look as if they have been hit with an ugly stick I think the BM had the biggest beating.

Reliability - well by the sound of it they both have thier problems its just if there is the availablity of a good dealer to sort out the problems that you come across, for me with the BMW bikes going from cardiff again the KTM would win becuase there is a good dealer in Pontypridd

I have sat on both and revved the engine on both, I didnt particuarly like either, I found the KTM throttle far too twitchy and the BMW its all very well being able to rev but there would be the issue of getting it off the stand.

Horse power and speed is beyond my poor little brain I dont care as long as it it nice to ride.

So if given no other choice the I think I would go for the KTM.

·
21st Century Schizoid Man
2,428 Posts
...snip on looks I am afraid the KTM would win it, even though they both look as if they have been hit with an ugly stick I think the BM had the biggest beating... snip
Ugly IS the new beautiful though... and that KTM sure is ugly :D

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Out of the two I'd have to go with the beemer, but as also said above don't dismiss the Vara, check out the purchase price AND the repair/ service/ spares prices....................you still want one ???

·
Registered
2,343 Posts

I'll have that one thanks.

One came stonking past me out on the road today, I was stood marking for a ride, and he was coming the other way, all the boxes off, shifting. It's a fantastic looking/sounding bike, and as my riding is never going to be THAT far off the beaten track, if it fails then Mr BMW is only a phone call away :)

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts

I'll have that one thanks.

One came stonking past me out on the road today, I was stood marking for a ride, and he was coming the other way, all the boxes off, shifting. It's a fantastic looking/sounding bike, and as my riding is never going to be THAT far off the beaten track, if it fails then Mr BMW is only a phone call away :)
its a cracking bike ..nuff said :cool: but then the KTM aint no shrinking violet either:D

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
... if it fails then Mr BMW is only a phone call away :)
A number you'd become very familiar with!! If you're used to Honda levels of reliability, both are going to be a disappointment.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts