Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, excuse the pics, took them with my mp3 player as forgot camera, won't make that mistake again!

Hi all, I was offered Fiona's BMW for a run today so couldn't refuse!

Firstly, I must point out I said I thought her GS had no soul on a past ride but I admit I have changed my opinion! Funny how my attitude has changed since running a Kawasaki KLE 500 as a winter hack, I now find the little BMW 650GS a bundle of fun! Firstly a trip east along the coast to Kingston, Spey bay. A run along the beach to the firing range was great fun! The weather was great and the view stunning.

After a bit of wheelie practice offroad I was ready to progress along the coast to Cullen, home of Cullen skink! Yummy! I then went inland to Keith, home of Schivas Regal, Strathisla distillery.

I then headed up country to Dufftown where the snow is still hanging around so I tried a bit of offroading but the Beemer didn't like the snow and pretty soon I was stuck!

Onwards to the Glenfiddich distillery then out of Dufftown to Craigellachie. I stopped to take a pic on the old Spey bridge when a guy on a 700 Transalp passed me and crossed the bridge! He did wave but didn't stop to chat?:confused: Damned Honda owners, would he have stopped if I'd been on the Vara???? Ha ha!

I must point out I was very impressed with the little BMW, compared to the Kawa it's a delight to ride, pops great wheelies, hits over 3 figures on the speedo and with the race pipe sounds not unlike an XR! I screwed up the back suspension which made it a lot firmer and feel more planted on the road, also took up the slack so wheelied better off the throttle! Bridges and humps sends it skyward on the back wheel in lower gears and it hangs the tail offroad, damn, it was great fun! Wish I'd bought one of these instead of the KLE, no comparison, Beemer wins hands down!

Special thanks to my Fiona for the loan of her pride and joy for the day! I looked after it,,,, honest! Well,,, at least it idles now! Fnar fnar! :D

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Jim -- nice one Grrrrrrrrrr :D:D

Fiona --- watch him ;)
He may lull you into a false sense of security -- then ---

Bham --- you've have lost your little beemer to some high revving ex moto x jockey whose going to thrash the living daylights of that little ol motor of yours !!!! :D:D:D

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha ha! The damned thing wouldn't idle for the first half hour, I put in fresh petrol and it seemed fine after, in the famous words of John Cleese, "I gave it a damned good thrashing!"

Fiona's well aware of my "zest" for wheelies, first day out on it we were touring along the harbour at Burghead when Fiona as pillion asked "does it wheelie?" Silly question, pulled a stonking wheelie along the harbour! "It would appear so" was my reply!

LWR, I see you had a quick blast today as well mate? Great weather for it too, same over here although it was cooler as soon as I hit an AB postcode! IV was a lot milder!

Never mind Lowflyer, we'll be out and about soon enough mate. Spring's comin!

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Love the piccie of the bike on the beach :thumbright::thumbright::thumbright:. Good to hear you're getting out there, whatever the weather :cool:.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
good little bikes jim:thumbup: and putting a pipe on them does pep them up:cool:

nice report:)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Lulu, it was great fun on the beach, although that shingle's damned hard work to ride in! Sometimes a smaller bike is all you need for a bit of fun. Compared to 1 litre monsters which make your eyes water with the visor down, it can be great fun to have a rasp on a smaller bike doing things that you feel less intimidated on! I must admit, getting out on a bike was brilliant fun and I feel so much more stress free! :thumbup:

Hey Chad, aye, I can see the attraction to these Beemers now, it was a great ride and will have a bit more respect for the Beemers!
(Or maybe I'll just hate Kawasaki's even more!) :sign5:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha ha Nick! Good to hear from you mate!

I was wearing my HM Plant Honda baseball cap today, so I've not abandoned Honda yet mate! :thumbup:
I've a new Jack Daniels one to wear for this summer coming so no room for a BM one :(
Hope you're well mate, take care and we'll maybe see you over the summer. :thumbup:

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Dont forget the little f650's have sound breeding in their blood, several Dakar's and RTW trips.:thumbup:

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
(Or maybe I'll just hate Kawasaki's even more!) :sign5:
you too:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10: thought it was just me;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts