Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please can you lot help?
Just getting back on a bike after some time, I was going to buy a BMW F650 GS Dakar until I looked at the Honda XL700V Transalp. Please can you try to be unbiased and let me know which bike could be the right one. It will be manly used for work.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Really difficult to answer for someone so many variables and a lot personal choice. I ride a 700 Transalp and am happy but I am sure a BMW owner will say the same. See if you can get a test ride on both and take it from there.

A lot of biased opinions as well many BMW owners will point towards BM's and Honda guys to Honda ( and KTM guys ... should be shot :p ) etc etc

·
Registered
38 Posts
Please can you lot help?
Just getting back on a bike after some time, I was going to buy a BMW F650 GS Dakar until I looked at the Honda XL700V Transalp. Please can you try to be unbiased and let me know which bike could be the right one. It will be manly used for work.
Hi Joe, and welcome back to the fold;).

I spent the first couple of months of the year eying up the same two bikes; the Dakar model of the BMW and the 650 Transalp, ultimately I bought the Honda. At the end of the day the decision will be a personal one but I wanted something I could use year round, largely for commuting but also for playing and touring. I looked at all the available resources to support both bikes for parts and knowledge and dealers. I enjoy the ride of both machines but at the end of the day the Honda does it for me on comfort (I'm 6'2" and do 300 miles a week) and price and availability of spares.

Hope this is of some help and you get the right bike for you soon :thumbright:

·
Blah! Blah! Blah!
153 Posts
Hello, I was going through the same choices (F800GS) when looking for a new bike.. I even added the V-Strom to the list.

In the end I had to be honest and although I like the Idea of Ewan and Charley trotting around the world, mine was going spend a large portion of it's life on the road to comute to and from work, more than off it visiting far and away places.

I chose the XL700V for a few reasons, It's a Damn sight cheaper for parts and service, Build quality is good, Theres more Honda dealers locally than BWM and looked after will go for ever oh and cheaper to insure... It still puts a smile on my face when I ride it and I know I made the right choice for me.

I still have the same dream of going everywhere, so maybe I'll go on my Honda!!

Take'em for a test ride and see which one suits you the best, One tip the XL700 is a big heavy bike, so if your a bit short maybe not.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Choices, choices:D I've never owned a Transalp but my first "big" bike was an F650GS, and I loved it. It's comfortable and easy to ride. It does 90 mpg comfortably at whatever speed and however your ride. It's good on and off road. But, it does sound like a tractor and being only single cylindered, but it's very forgiving for an inexperienced rider. If you have to change gear going round a corner, it won't throw you off and if you're in the wrong gear it will keep chugging along.

They are not the fastest thing on 2 wheels by any stretch of the imagination but in Europe it sits quite comfortably at 85mph for long periods of time. It's also very comfortable. After 600 miles in one day I got off it fresh and comfortable.

They are easy to look after and you can easily service them yourself.

On the downside, they do hold their price and a second hand one will be more expensive than a transalp, but on the plus side second hand ones usually come with luggage, abs and heated grips.

With the fuel tank being under the seat, the weight is low down making it maneuverable.

As I say, I absolutely loved it and only changed because I wanted a bigger bike.

But as others have said, take both for a long test ride and see what you think.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I owned an F650Gs a few years back. Really there's not a lot to choose between them, the GS is lighter in weight, but has less power than the XL. The two problems I can think of are dealer locality and the cost of servicing a BMW. Back in 2002 it was roughly twice the price it is to get my XL serviced today. An upside is the service intervals are longer.
I also had the problem of the chocolate steering head bearings that afflicted the model at the time. They needed changing at every service. Luckily BMW had a 12 month warrenty in such work at the time, so I never needed to pay.
It might be worth checking an F650 forum to see if that problem still exists, as it was endemic at the time.

G

·
Hi

I have an F650GS Dakar and a Deauville 700, I have thought long and hard about swapping the Deauville for a 700 Transalp but a few things bother me.

1, Fuel range on the TA is poor, the Dakar will go 250 miles with ease on 17 liters, the Deauville the same but has a larger tank.

2, There are posts here regarding spoke corrosion on the 700 TA, the F650 has Stainless spokes.

3, Servicing on the F650 is every 6,000 miles, the TA every 4,000 if it's like the Deauville. Unsure of exact cost though.

4, As for the F800 GS, the seating is incredibly uncomfortable but it performs very well but slow riding is marred but poor fuel injection.

So for solo use I ride the F650, that's about 12,000 miles a year and for two-up I ride the Deauville, that's about another 8,000 miles a year.

My favorite of the two is the Dakar, for hooning around, comuting and track days (yes track days (expert class)) it's very good, but I've never ridden a 700 TA.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Having the (much bigger) R1200GS and a Transalp in my garage, I feel that I can compare the two objectively. Depends what you want really. The Transalp is a good road bike, but somewhat limited off road. The BMW is great off road but isn't as accomplished on-road as the Transalp. Both are well made, both are easy to ride, both are very forgiving.

Residual values are better with the BMW. I bought the Transalp for my son to ride. Now he's gone back to Uni, I have the use of both bikes. For pottering about town, I use the Vespa (see sig) - for short runs, the Transalp. For long trips, the 1200.

I think if I had to choose just one, I'd go for the BMW.

J

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
I've got a 1200GSA and I've only ridden the little TA. I could give you my opinion but as the others say go for a LONG test ride on both and then make your own mind up.

That's no help is it :D:D

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Choices, choices:D I've never owned a Transalp but my first "big" bike was an F650GS, and I loved it. It's comfortable and easy to ride. It does 90 mpg

Hi Annette
Are you sure the BM does 90 MPG
or is that a guestimate?
No I just plucked the figure out of thin air:eek:

I am absolutely sure. Week in, week out I got 90 mpg. In fact, I was chatting to a motorcycle policeman at Rykas the other day. He said he's got an F650GS and he gets 90 mpg too.

·
Registered
897 Posts
No I just plucked the figure out of thin air:eek:

I am absolutely sure. Week in, week out I got 90 mpg. In fact, I was chatting to a motorcycle policeman at Rykas the other day. He said he's got an F650GS and he gets 90 mpg too.
OK OK Annette IM'e out of touch last time I
heard about the 650 BM 75MPG was good
it makes the transalp look a bit thirsty!
BUT I still would'nt swap :lol: --------- Chris

·
is away...
33 Posts
Neither... get a new XT660Z Tenere... I just did x

xxx

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was in the same boat when I bought my bike. I was convinced I wanted an F 650 GS but I knew about the TA (650 at that time).

As luck would have it the BMW shop had a used TA on display so I test rode them both and was totally sold on the TA and ended up with that. What clinched it for me was that the TA feels more substantial, it is great for us tallees (I'l 6'2") and I just liked the way all the information was presented.

Ride them both and see which one grabs you!

Cheers

J

·
TV boffin
328 Posts
I used to have a BMW F650, the mark 1 model that was marketed as the "Funduro". It was a great bike (but surprisingly poor fit for a tall man - strange for a German bike) and i liked it a lot.

But I found one disadvantage. To maintain the famed high resale value, a Beemer needs a set of stamps in its book showing a history of main-dealer servicing. Home servicing saves money, but loses even more money in resale.

And of course main-dealer servicing costs an arm and a leg.

So either way, the F650 ended up costing me a lot of money to own.

Fast-forward many years to my current TA, and there are no such probs.

It's academic actually, as I'm not selling it! I'm keeping it until I have ridden it to death.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Mark R is a good man too get an honest opinion. I think he chopped his TA for a BMW.
I remember reading a mag report that put the 2 very close in engine ability
PM me your e mail and I can send it to you, I have it saved on my comp.:thumbright:

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
But I found one disadvantage. To maintain the famed high resale value, a Beemer needs a set of stamps in its book showing a history of main-dealer servicing. Home servicing saves money, but loses even more money in resale.
Actually it doesn't. Particularly with the F650GS. As long as you keep receipts it's no problem They are so easy to work on and there's never much to do with them. Even I could service it, and changed brake pads and clutch and throttle cables myself with just some help from the manual. They are now of an age where the dealer servicing is not as important as how the owner has looked after it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts