Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, had a ride on some beemers today. Mostly the 800 gs but also the 650 gs and the 800 R (also had a go on my mate's tiger). It was under the guise of writing a review for a freinds mag, but I have to say I've wanted to try the gs's for a while now. I know the general opinion of them on here :)hitler:) but I have to say if anything was gonna temp me away from the mighty alp it would be the 800 gs. Great accelleration, lovely riding pos, beautiful grunty exaust, sips petrol etc etc....
BUT, at the end of the day, I was still happy to ride home on the tranny. :thumbup:

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Of course you live in Tunbridge Wells, so Coopers is close. But, if you're thinking of a GS, why change to an 800; still with chain. Your Trannie is great.
If you are tempted by GS, make it a shaftie.

Signed - Mr experience, 30,000 plus miles on oil head GS, thousands of miles on other airheads:D

I have to say, I prefer BMW at the time of the airheads, but I'm not in the league to be able to afford a new 1200GS and not keen on the dealers

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course you live in Tunbridge Wells, so Coopers is close. But, if you're thinking of a GS, why change to an 800; still with chain. Your Trannie is great.
If you are tempted by GS, make it a shaftie.

Signed - Mr experience, 30,000 plus miles on oil head GS, thousands of miles on other airheads:D

I have to say, I prefer BMW at the time of the airheads, but I'm not in the league to be able to afford a new 1200GS and not keen on the dealers
Couple of miles away!
Well, I do like the idea of a shaft, but I can't be getting a 1200 just for that. Think those bikes have alot of character but the bike is too heavy for me and I don't need that size engine. I like the zippyness of the 800 but at the end of the day it's all hypothetical cause I can't afford to change. Plus I love the tranny!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
At the moment I would be waiting for the new Vara before I would make up my mind about a new bike.

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
I would have a crash on the BMW 800 GS. When I tested one , I was transfixed by the wobbly rubber mounted brake master cylinder !! could not take my eyes off it - very distracting.

And yes seriously , that's all I could find wrong with it - apart from it being a BMW and being a bit too "revy".

Nice bike - but not for me.

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
800Gs is a cracking bike. Shari's got one and I've been on a couple of trips with her. Excellent fuel consumption (even when heavily loaded) goes well (cruised at 90 fully laden on the autobahn). When I finally decide I'm going for a lighter bike that will be the one. Chains just need a little extra care.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol regarding the brake master cylinder comment. I had read about that before but it didn't really distract me. What did distract me is after my mate had a go, he commented on how it was quite cool you could see a reflection of yourself in the speedo and rev counter. He said it was like the bike mounted cameras at the TT! Couldn't take my eyes of it from then on!!
Great mpg. Took it up to 95 and it said it was doing 59 mpg! Not so good wind protection! People have said they get over 200 miles out of the 16 litre tank. Can't be bad.
Overall a great bike.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At the moment I would be waiting for the new Vara before I would make up my mind about a new bike.
This would definately be too heavy for me and I like the fact that alp and gs can be rdden off road. Would't wanna do that with a vara. Nice bikes tho.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
Ok, had a ride on some beemers today. Mostly the 800 gs but also the 650 gs and the 800 R
now, was that the f650gs with the 650cc single cylinger, or the f650gs with the 800cc parallel twin? good thinking BMW

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
now, was that the f650gs with the 650cc single cylinger, or the f650gs with the 800cc parallel twin? good thinking BMW
I saw a couple of riders the other week, one had the 650 and one the 800, I could not see any difference except for the transfers, If I decided to have one it would be the 800.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I think you need to look closer, the 800 is a great deal taller therefore has more road presence.
The 800 Rider had had it lowered.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Varadero no offroad? Nonsense, I'll take my Varadero anywhere a GS 1200 can go, only faster! The mighty Varadero is a stunning bike, I love mine and haven't seen anything to beat it,,, yet!
The 800 looks good, sounds good and apart from a few build quality issues on early ones would appear a good bike. I'm unsure if it would suit my needs as I do a lot of two up touring, on the Autobhan a couple of weeks ago the speedo was showing 130mph two up with full luggage, I would miss the power. :thumbup:
I will have a look at the new Triumph when it comes out though, I'm intreagued by it!
I've heard the new Varadero has been shelved for the meantime, the new Pan's due next but god only knows when Honda are going to give us a new contender in the adventure market. Pity really, Honda make startlingly good bikes but I don't want a sportsbike!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
My mate has just come back from the IOM and is still smiling about his Vara.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts