Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried a varioscreen or similar with the Boano ralley fairing?

Stormforce and Chad, you're tall blokes as well, how do you find the wind noise?

I did have a Powerbronze screen years ago which was reasonable, but looked nowhere near as good as the Ralley kit (Yup, I'm a tart!)

Of course it could just be my old Arai is a naturally noisy lid...

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
No, it's not you, it is noisy on the motorway.

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Easy - just turn the volume up - I rarely ride on the road without music :thumbright:

m_soundear_1330604249.06.jpg l_03033349.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello guys,
I am reviving this old thread because I want to move to the rally fairing but I am concerned about wind protection.
I will still need to ride some highway kilometers and wind will be a problem for me. Does the Boano rally fairing have decent wind deflection and how would you(the people that already have it) rate it on the highway compared to the standard one? It's narrower, but it's more vertical, though this might not always be a positive side...
Wind noise is no concern for me, because either way I ride highways with earplugs.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Dont worry about it you will be fine. I did think it would be useless but I am more than happy with mine and its stronger than perspex so you could add a small screen to the top for motorway journeys.
WhatsApp Image 2019-09-10 at 7.03.15 PM.jpeg

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
You can simply install an adjustable wind deflector. In up position for highway. Then lower it to do off road. It is a cheap copy of the mucho expensive MRA design.

Plenty on eBay. get the narrower/smaller version.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Adjustable-Clip-On-Windshield-Extension-Spoiler-Wind-Deflector-Smoke/254330190657?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=60259&meid=47181c2d7a31466cabe1eb4ea3562e60&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=12&sd=312742319365&itm=254330190657&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just the other day in the bulgarian offroad forum there was a discussion for wind deflectors and how Puig's deflector for example costs just as much as a new touring windscreen and someone pointed out some on Dealextreme which have only one point of attachment while this has two :)
Yesterday evening I was browsing around google for details aroud the rally fairing and I came across this -> https://grabcad.com/library/plaxiglass-screen-for-boano-rally-fairing-xrv-models-1
If the person who made this in on this board - Thank you and good job! :)
Because I am a cheap ass I will buy only the fairing and the other stuff I will make in the garage :D I think it will be a good project for the winter, considering how little free time I have lately...

Thank you both for the feedback!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello! I am just finishing a very long time consuming work project and I actually have not yet fully decided if I will go for the conversion.
I managed to find headlight projector bodies for xenon lights out of a mk4 Mondeo and I want to see how they perform with led lights instead(ordered and on their way in this moment). I consider good headlights a must and because I don't know if I will find good H4 4" reflectors, needed for the rally fairing, I am not yet fully sure... Maybe good results from the LED/lens combo will be a trigger for this :)
If I start something of course I will report here :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all, I have the rally fairing on my Africa twin and have just found this thread. I am 6 foot 2 and find the buffeting when travelling over about 60 mph pretty bad. I have added a touratech windscreen extender which improved things a bit but it’s still pretty bad. I had this problem on my 1150 gs which I cured by cutting the screen down a lot and adding tobinators.
its getting to the stage where I have been thinking about cutting the rally fairing down but as you can imagine I am pretty reluctant to do this as it looks fantastic.
Any miracle cures to the buffeting would be much appreciated as it’s really spoiling a great bike. Cheers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have an update :)
I went on a mid-work-day shopping spree and bought the replica fairing from a romanian guy in ebay and he was kind enough to sell me a twin 100mm headlight without additional shipping... The thing that tipped the scale toward that was cheaping out for the Boano original and double H4 lights(compared to the other H4+H7 or double H7 lights I found) so I can stuff my H4 LEDs in there. However the reflectors are utter crap. They have a blind spot in the center with the LEDs and with the supplied 35W bulbs I barely can tell they are turned on :(
In the meantime the ordered D1S LEDs arrived and when installed in the projector bodies they give a good light pattern with a neutral white light. A lot of additional work has to go in them so they can be at least a little weatherproof... They are made to fit in a normal sealed Mondeo headlight body after all.

In short - I gave the project a GO but for now I will finish with the engine and then I will work on the fairing. I have a clutch basket rattle and I ordered custom damping springs to be made. While there I changed the oil pump chain because of kind-of excessive slack - 15-16-17mm. Now it's about 7-8mm with the new one. I will also put the fork emulators which have been waiting since last summer.
When I start to build the front subframe I will post more updates :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts