Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can help...

Seen a lovely track when out over the dales that i thought would be ideal for me (a novice) for an introduction to green laning... It looked a nice gravel track and from the overhead maps on google looks to be long enough to have a play on with a couple of water crossings that don't look too bad so should be a nice introduction.

The thing is, i have no idea if i am allowed down the track, i did notice a gate when i rode past but looking at google maps it doesnt actually go anywhere, there is no farm at the end of it etc so it just looks perfect for a bimble down.

The GPS is 54.461023,-2.098931 and this is about 2.5 miles east of the Tan Hill Inn in the Yorkshire Dales...

This is what it looks like on google:

Does anybody recognise this trail?... the one that forks to the right of the pic (your left as driving along) looks to be a dead end but should be a nice ride... the one that continues on looks to eventually lead to a dead end but goes on for qiute a way but it looks to all be gravel so should be doable for a novice.

Anybody any ideas how i would go about finding out if i am legally allowed to ride this on my motorbike, ive not the foggiest :confused:

Cheers,

Craig.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Hoping someone can help...

Seen a lovely track when out over the dales that i thought would be ideal for me (a novice) for an introduction to green laning... It looked a nice gravel track and from the overhead maps on google looks to be long enough to have a play on with a couple of water crossings that don't look too bad so should be a nice introduction.

The thing is, i have no idea if i am allowed down the track, i did notice a gate when i rode past but looking at google maps it doesnt actually go anywhere, there is no farm at the end of it etc so it just looks perfect for a bimble down.

The GPS is 54.461023,-2.098931 and this is about 2.5 miles east of the Tan Hill Inn in the Yorkshire Dales...

This is what it looks like on google:

Does anybody recognise this trail?... the one that forks to the right of the pic (your left as driving along) looks to be a dead end but should be a nice ride... the one that continues on looks to eventually lead to a dead end but goes on for qiute a way but it looks to all be gravel so should be doable for a novice.

Anybody any ideas how i would go about finding out if i am legally allowed to ride this on my motorbike, ive not the foggiest :confused:

Cheers,

Craig.
You have 2 options if your not sure if your allowed down there :-

1: go down it ride it don't hang around too long and if anybody says anything to you, you got lost ask them for directions to somewhere job done, you've got away with it. Worked for me several times.....

2: Pick up an OS map and look in the the key to see which type of bye way it is then cross reference it with your local council to see if they'vew re-classified it..

I know which one i would do:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I just looked on my memory map and that shows it as a yellow road, (from where you've put the green arrow). So that is classified as " A road generally less than 4m wide" so there should be no problems with that. Slightly to the east of that road is the "Penine Way" which is classed as "national trail or recreational path" so not adviseable unless it's very wet bad weather and out of season

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
You can go to your council office and ask to look at the "Definitive Map" which will be clear on whether you can legally ride it. They might help over the phone if you can accurately describe the trails location.

It's always best to have the right info, should you ever get challenged by somebody who just doesn't want bikes on their dogwalking route.

:thumbup:

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
736 Posts
Ill have a look on the map when i get in the garage Craig, I dont remember seeing it when iv looked in the passed, There are a lot of old tracks up there that look as if they would be good but most are closed off.

Barry

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
If you are on the V Strom then who in their right mind would believe you are an illegal off roader up to no good, and you could blag your way out of any situation quite easily with politeness and humbleness:) Or you could just open the throttle and shower them in dirt before they get your number:D
But in all honesty Jase is right and if its a remote area and you pass through who knows. I know what I would be doing:thumbup:

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ill have a look on the map when i get in the garage Craig
Cheers fella...

If you are on the V Strom then who in their right mind would believe you are an illegal off roader up to no good
Exaclty, and ofcourse i'm a complete novice so would be going along VERY slowly so theres no chance i'd be hurting anyone but myself...lol

If you look at it on google it's quite remote and doesnt seem to lead anywhere but deep into the Dales and away from roads etc, thats what makes it so appealing for a track to learn on.

Gonna ask Palerider if he fancies it as i won't attempt it on my own for safety reasons.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I used Where's the path ? and searched for "Kirkby Stephen", then panned East to locate the path. It appears to be a footpath (not even a bridleway never mind a Byway) that runs alongside a beck called William Gill.

It's illegal to ride a footpath. Whether anyone would mind, or do anything about it if they did mind etc. is another matter.

All I'd add is that if we all rode on illegal paths regularly, rights of way legislation would be tightened even further. :confused:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Sorry that my previous post appeared a bit supercilious. What I meant is that one person riding a track in the middle of nowhere is unlikely to cause much harm. However because lots of guys and kids ride illegally the law was tightened some years ago and that won't get reversed. If anything illegal riding gives ammunition to those who want laws that are tighter still.

I guess xrv.org.uk doesn't condone breaking the law so the any advice to do so must be treated as the opinions of those individuals.

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Craig - this is a great free online os/arial map (scollable,zoomable etc) - not sure how up to date it is, but will show you where the legal byways are (red +++ signs and green +++++ signs when u zoom right in):

Ive zoomed in to a lane that we did when we were in Dent.

Have a search on this link:

Maps of the world, street map search - powered by Multimap|

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Link bookmarked... :thumbup:

I see what you are saying guys, i don't want to be trampling all over a national park really... don't want to give bikers a bad name either.

Just had a call off Stuart who has an XR600 i can use and knows of a quarry where you can legally ride (he's a star Stuart) so that looks a better bet to have a go on the slippy stuff :D

·
2,701 Posts
Craig, most of the byeways in the dales have been TRO'd, so be carefull.

The one Anton linked to is OK and easily do-able on the Vstrom, infact i took Frad down there on his first off-tarmac foray.

ps

Do it down hill first time, . . . from where Anton marked it.

Go up the side of the garage in Hawes follow the road to the top of the hill and the track is very sharp left, . . . if you get to the road coming from the right you have missed it . . . . . in fact it's easier to turn round at the junction and come back to it.

·
Hi SuperNintendo Chalmers
248 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
OS Landranger maps usually show public rights of way, and of course the TRF (Trail Riders Federation) do map mark ups for a small fee. In fact the TRF probably do most work in keeping lanes open much to the disgust of ramblers who want them downgraded. Ramblers think they own the countryside so beware! The ultimate proof is the definitive map at the County Hall. Also remember The Long Way Round, don't blindly ride a track (legal or otherwise) that you can't ride back on. Dead ends are just that!. Always, Always go with a mate or a group and if possible tell someone where you are going. A whistle (refs type) is a good way to attract attention if you need help. Sheep don't need phones so signals are scarce. Take care, I hope you return without any bike damage.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Link bookmarked... :thumbup:

I see what you are saying guys, i don't want to be trampling all over a national park really... don't want to give bikers a bad name either.

Just had a call off Stuart who has an XR600 i can use and knows of a quarry where you can legally ride (he's a star Stuart) so that looks a better bet to have a go on the slippy stuff :D
You'll be fine mate and dont forget my option 1 previous post

1 - 17 of 17 Posts