Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm knocking together a stove adaptor to carry a trangia spirits burner. I involves bending aluminium rod.

I have a sneeky suspicion that if I just bend it as is, is could sheer.

Any suggestions on how to do it?

·
White van man
560 Posts
When i used to mess about building trials bikes i was told "smear with soap, warm until soap blackens then remove heat and bend"

Worked for me.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I'm knocking together a stove adaptor to carry a trangia spirits burner. I involves bending aluminium rod.

I have a sneeky suspicion that if I just bend it as is, is could sheer.

Any suggestions on how to do it?
Aluminium shouldn't snap/shear when bending as it a flexible and maleable metal if you think or feel it is going to snap stop. Warm it up before you try it again being ali when you heat it up it won't go red the silver aluminium will just go a different shade of grey

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fantastic!

Tomorrow, I'll set to work with a blow-torch, and pair of mole grips and a bar of Cusson's Pearl!!

Seriously though, thanks for the pointers: I'll give it a go.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
depends, if its pure aluminium it'll bend like butter over quite a small radius, but if its light alloy it'll be much stronger and more brittle. it should bend ok through a quite large radius, but will work harden so get it right first time.
have a look online for "bend allowance" formulae for the length of metal you need to go round different radii and degrees of bend, and what radii different materials at different thicknesses will bend around.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmm.

Might be easier, albeit heavier, to use a thin steel rod. That, at least, can be bent this way and that. After all this is only to support a meths burner in a sort of cradle for my wood stove.

·
Administrator
1,775 Posts
I've not tried bending ally bar, but for annealing ally sheet the waiting for the soap to blacken trick is spot-on. And as mentioned above, ally doesn't go red-hot, it just goes runny! (you don't need to ask how I know this :()

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alloy will bend no problem but you cant correct the bend and bend it back
for your burner I'd use brass brazing rods or stainless steel rods, easier to work with

and why 7mm you could hang a pig on that
7mm was the smallest they had in the shop...

As it happens the bending was easy. What was difficult was getting the two extremities to line up; having only a G-clamp and pliers to lever with... Gave up in the end and went for a completely differnt design. Finished it today.

Thanks for all the pointers, all, but alas it was not the best for me on this occasion!

On the plus side, I have now got wood or meths as a burn option!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Post is still no good without pics
Point taken:

Here is a picture of the stove complete with my two cross-bars and base plate, another of the meths burner parts laid out, and finally how my wood/meths stove packs down.

Not a fast boiler (1 kettle = 10 mins!!:rolleyes:), not particularly light, but very easy to stow, meths burner makes use in tunnel tent atrium possible (only if the weather is really sh!tty) and the design makes a campfire easy, safe and practical (outside the tent, rest assured!)!!

PS: I opted for a heat gun on the ally. 600c max, so not melting point but enough to make the ally much easier to bend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts