Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a Chain Guide and Guard from Romatech in Germany but the bolts are a bit naff and the originals that i removed from the OEM parts are too long wrong fit to re-use...

Are they M-8's or 10's ...????

I would get a ruler out but I thought there may be some knowledge on these out here..

By the way the pre-drilled holds on the chain guide were of by about a .5mm and this was really annoying as I didn't really want to break into the anodised finish by reaming another drill bit through it and paving the way for corrosion problems down the line...

Bit of Hammerite and a quick warm under a lighter and all was well.

Must say the delivery time from germany was pretty rapid.... 4 days well packaged and well made (apart from the slight off in alignment)...

Its a bit of extra weight compared to the plastic OEM parts but as i'm not a born again cafe racer I don't think I'm gonna notice any difference even if I had a sack of spuds on the pannier racks

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I thought about getting one of those but I reckon I'd be cleaning it all the time, the Scotoiler does like to share it's load at times. Being the perfectionists they are, I'm sure the German manufacturer would've amended this for you themselves.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
M6 decided to go ruler hunting and found sons ruler was fairly accurate. Considering he's been using it as a boomerang.

I'll take some shots tomorrow in daylight to give you an idea if the style.

Went for the laser cut with Transalp sliced out bit bling but hey. And what looks like a cadmium coated chain guide. Can't be cadmium as this is reserved mainly for aircraft parts. But colours not far off.

Can't think of anymore add ons yet don't want to muck with wiring just yet otherwise a 12v socket would be in situ by now. Some additional lighting would be nice. Maybe next Month.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have the same one for a year and half now.
No problems like yours when installing and its quite easy to clean the oil residues on the inside.
The thing you have to look out for is that after a while the guard tents to fold a bit towards the chain ,vibrations perhaps?.

A bit later i found this one,which is longer but also almost double in price.
Touratech UK Webshop

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Man you lot are teases!

Cmon with the pics already!

Can't come on here telling us all about your bling and hold back on the pics...just not polite!

We've got absolutely no cash to spend on things we don't need so cmon and show us how much we 'NEED' these things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Greyalp, Rands....are you models of a different year?

Issue might be down to changes in models or even the Spanish v Italian factory change. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
We've got absolutely no cash to spend on things we don't need so cmon and show us how much we 'NEED' these things!
Everything i put extra on my bike (TA700V8 ABS ) is for a reason. In other words ...for extra protection and convenience.
And done in almost 3 years ,i also have to watch my wallet!.

As for the steel chain guard ,the original plastic one never botherd me until i saw a pic of someones left leg ripped open from a snapped chain.

This is the lot: Givi Crashbars - Honda High Screen - Honda Centre Stand - Honda 45L Top Box - TT ABS Protectors (front and rear) - Romatech Steel Chain Protector - Pyramid Fender Extender -TomTom Rider2 - TT Small Engine Guard - TT Foldable Gear Lever - Givi E21 Panniers - Barkbusters Handguards - Steel headlight guard -

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
So do you reckon the metal one will hold a flying chain better than the plastic one? Haven't really considered it, just know the plastic one shakes like buggery, collects oil and dirt for a profession and is probably the least aesthetically pleasing bit of the bike.

I've seen the guard you have on the site but I'm sure it doesn't do it justice at all. Dont need much convincing but it all helps.

Like you, I've got no bells and whistles just that which does a job and earns it's cost. No harm in a bit of beauty every now and then though!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That worked.

Ok so the cylindrical tax disc holder is totally unnecessary and I tried to convince myself it'd stop the tax disc getting wet like the OEM one did.

Its growing on me....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Guard looks good, a lot more see through than I thought if that makes sense. Interesting chain guide you there too. Never seen one of those tubular disc holders, is it designed for that purpose or it that your use of it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To be fair I wasn't expecting so much cut out of the chain guard but it grows on you.

The tax disc holder is an off the shelf item that is very waterproof ( greased o'rings either side) and fairly secure (Allen key lock). I was getting fed up with OEM holder letting in water.

There are a few more bits in the pipeline. But this time a bit more practical. 12volt socket and additional lighting.

·
Registered
212 Posts
So do you reckon the metal one will hold a flying chain better than the plastic one?
If the chain comes off or breaks at high speed ,my thought ... a metal ,alu or steel one will always be stronger than a plastic one.

I'm still looking for some protection at the front sprocket aswell. Not a cover for the sprocket it self ,but between the engine and sprocket.

Enjoy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts