1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
52 Posts
Could you not just fit a resistor to the coolant temp sensor. This would tell the ECU it's colder in turn richen up the mixture. We used to do this to our cars back in the day. Just an idea but don't know if it's a good one. Resistors are relatively cheap so not an expensive mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The BoosterPlug is "snake oil". It does nothing if your engine management uses an oxygen sensor. No matter how richer you are trying to run, the oxygen sensor will bring back the mixture to stochiometric or 14.7... This has been discussed 1000s of times on BMW forums, especially with bikes running boxer engines. Fueling is on the lean side and those big engine don't like that.

If you want to alter the mixture, no need to fit bigger injectors. The O2 sensor will (again) run the engine to 14.7.

A device was designed in the US initially for Harleys but has been adapted for BMWs and can work on any 02 equipped motorcycle with a narrowband sensor. It is called Ax-fied.

BOOSTERPLUG ~vs~ AX-FIED - Page 2 - BMW R1200R Forum : BMW R1200R Forums

BTW I had a boosterplug two years ago. It is crap. Then fitted the Ax-fied on my 1150GSA. You can tune how rich you want to run. And it works. It added smoothness and low end grunt.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Not strictly true.
Many vehicles run open and closed loop, while its true that in closed loop the Lambda will correct the mixture to stoic, in open loop the Lambda has zero affect.

As you mention, I believe certain bikes & some BMs use the Lambda throught the rev range.
Honda's of the Varas vintage run open & closed loop depending on load/tp/revs etc.
One way of smoothing low throttle response is to simply umplug the Lambda - the bike will run a default 'safe' fuel map.
(if you want fi to feel more like a carb bike, unplug the ait, map & lambda sensors ;) but the lambda could be damaged by long term bike use if left disconnected).

Phil

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, I read some of the extensive discussion linked to above. Seems there is no uniform agreement to anything, So its a bit simpler design than i imagined, but as long as it does not do any damage to the bike i feel it was worth a try, so probably overspent and bought one. Will let you know if I feel any benefit with it. Only thing is that i need to take off the "bl ....y" tank. Please add more input and experiences to this tread..;)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
reply to "neil0007" According to "Massive Lee" its the same thing ... so your probably right, but then i do need to the the soldering ... (bad excuse really)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Haha solderings a b#tch. I found it easier using the portable soldering irons that you fill with lighter gas. Going back to the resistor thing, we used to fit them to fuel injected cars but they didn't have catalysts so no lambda sensor. Keep us posted how it goes ( indefix)

·
Registered
52 Posts
As far as I'm aware when an engines coolant is cold the injector stays open for a mili second longer to inject slightly more fuel.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A little update on experience with this gadget. It seems to work.
I got it fitted in June. It was then i realised how compact the Varaactually is... first all the plastics and knobs etc. Then try to get it all off without removing the crashbars, then empty the tank (again), remove all thos hoses (again) then I tried to remove the airbox ... Well no need to do that. but i had no clue to where taht sensor connection was. It is actually just behind the frame on the left side, just below the filterbox ... you wont be able to do it without removing the box a little... very annoying.

Anyway, now its there, the sticker is on the number plate and the bike runs smooth at low revs and high gear ... yes it works well. The downside is that i feel it also block the bike a bit on high revs, a bit more vibrations and lacks that high end grunt (possibly), cant really remember how it was originally ... I changed the silencers to Mivvs too and that might also have an effect. Anyway, I'll keep it on for now and be happy, better torque feeling at accelleration and cruising.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts