Honda XRV Forum banner

241 - 260 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Re: Bored with your Varadero? Enter "Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero"

Look forward to the result of today's efforts :thumb:
It runs Fred, it's alive. The word loud isn't loud enough
feck me it's like a 1000cc Moto-crosser.

So sharp

First prod of the starter, it starts first time every time but it's spitting back so some fettling/reading will be needed.

I've videoed it but forgotten my youtube account details..

I've done some reading & the spitting is due to a lean issue, so I've opened the pilots another 3/4 of a turn making it 2 1/4 out altogether. I've not started it again as it's really, really, really loud. I'd say MotoGP loud :eek:

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Re: Bored with your Varadero? Enter "Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero"

Well done nothing like that first startup and it don't go bang:D
I've just realized something you've built this up and now you got to strip it all back down for paint

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #244

Cheers Fred, yeah, that was always the plan. Get it running, strip it then weld it up. Rebuild again then try it on the road.

I'll also have to sort out things like crash bungs to protect the carb & exhaust in case of a tumble & strip remove unwanted brackets.

Then strip it again & send the frame off to the powder coaters whilst I polish/paint everything :thumbright:

That's the plan anyway :rolleyes:

I opened the pilots another 2 turns today making it 3 3/4 turns out altogether.

It now ticks over like a dream, I'd say 800rpm & the response from idle is shocking. I locked myself in the shed as it's way too loud, I think it's now rich as my eyes were stinging coming out of there.

Rule of thumb is if it's more than 2 1/2 out you increase the pilot jet size.. More reading required, but it's not backfiring anymore so I'm more than happy :thumbright:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

Congratulations; fair reward for your perseverance. That tickover is pretty impressive for a first start on a non-standard set-up.

The battery box sounds like your nemesis. Not sure how I'd have coped with the battery being bigger; a big hammer, probably.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #246

Congratulations; fair reward for your perseverance. That tickover is pretty impressive for a first start on a non-standard set-up.

The battery box sounds like your nemesis. Not sure how I'd have coped with the battery being bigger; a big hammer, probably.
Thanks Tim :thumbright:

I turned the pilots out to over 3 turns whilst it was running & all seemed good. I tried to start it again today to woo the Easter crowd at mine & it was a bugger to start.

I think it's too rich now that there's also sparks'n flame from the pipes.

That battery box is heart breaking, I think I'll have to slice the box with a cutting disc to get the battery out :rolleyes:

·
Enthusiastic AT rider
155 Posts

Thanks Tim :thumbright:

I turned the pilots out to over 3 turns whilst it was running & all seemed good. I tried to start it again today to woo the Easter crowd at mine & it was a bugger to start.

I think it's too rich now that there's also sparks'n flame from the pipes.

That battery box is heart breaking, I think I'll have to slice the box with a cutting disc to get the battery out :rolleyes:
Awesome. Glad it's turned out to be a fire-breathing monster.:thumbup:
The project has been a master class in fabrication too.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #248

Cheers guys, it's a lot louder than the clip. I'm not exaggerating, but it's like a brace of CR450's running next to each other.
Tbh, it's awfully loud, scary nasty in a really really bad way. I really don't know what I'm going to do about it either.

I've worked all the way through Easter, so I've not had a lot of time sorting issues out, but when everyone's gone back to work & not lounging in the garden (no one around to complain) I'll crack it up again & hopefully sort out the rough idle.

I've had a play with the mixture whilst being locked in the shed but boy do your eyes & ears sting. It's better, I've settled on 2 1/4 out on the pilots & it's stable at idle now with no popping.

I do have another issue & it's that the gearbox won't engage.

I've converted the Vtr's hydraulic clutch to cable using Varadero parts I've used the list below.

A. Varadero sprocket Cover (complete with arm/actuator)
B. Varadero Clutch rod (shorter, iirc) runs internally, from Varadero sprocket cover to clutch basket.
C. Handlebar mounted cable clutch leaver & cable with generator mounted cable bracket.

It all feels as if it's working, clutch in & select first or second & you can see the chain judder as if it's engaged. Let the clutch out & no drive.

I hopped off the bike & tried it again & you can see the chain "twitch" as I select a gear. I ran it through the gears & it's the same all the way through.

So this morning I removed the sprocket cover/actuator to make sure everything was present & it was. So with the cover still removed I wheeled it out & selected gears & sure enough I could turn the engine over in gear. Then I pressed the starter whilst in gear & sure enough it drives me forward.

I had a think & am wondering if it's a case of a wrong length clutch rod & it's not letting the clutch engage the gears (still half working) ? I'm going to have a look & a measure tomorrow, as well as connect the brakes just for safety's sake whilst I sort this out.

It's a feisty fecker & I'll need to stop it if it takes off
I'd imagine no amount of feet draggin will slow it down if it does engage

Any ideas fire away

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #249

Right then, last night I started it up & now it behaves, I let it tick over & selected first, clutch out & a chain twitch was witnessed

Clutch in & out & in & out, then some blipping of the throttle was added to the mix. Then in & out & in & out, I then shifted it through the gears up to top
Then it started to drive forward a little. More clutching was done & you could feel the grabbing slowly getting better. So I selected a few different gears, more in & out'n all that, then back up to top & back down to first. It was now working properly but then it attempted to drive up the front wheel stand whilst spinning the rear

Clutch in, switch off & a glass of wine

Next time, the brakes will be tackled

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #250 (Edited)

Post arrived today, a bunch of Cbr1100 stuff. A more streamlined reg/rec, a rear caliper with carrier to fit the larger diameter Varadero rear disc & an oil cooler which has been damaged in the post :rolleyes:

026.JPG

027.JPG

032.JPG

The idea of running with a cbr1100 rear caliper is to keep the large rear disc (same diameter to a cbr1100) fitted to the narrow varadero wheel for that old fashioned look. Not too sure it'll work so will update :thumbright:

The caliper prior to being stripped & cleaned, to be fair it was in excellent condition bar the piston edges which came clean with a fine wire wooling.

049.JPG

Here's the damage to the oil cooler, bloody shame as all three items were spot on.

037.JPG

056.JPG

·
Registered
2,978 Posts

That's a sh*t load of work you've put in over the last year or so, and it's been constantly entertaining ! Congratulations on the ' Fire up '.:thumbup:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #252

Thanks for the nice comments guys, I thought no one paid any attention to me banging on :eek: :thumbright:

Here's another clip with the idle mixture sorted :thumbright:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #253

Apparently many auto cct fail after a long stand making this engine a high risk candidate.

Now I know that it's alive I needed some of these & they arrived the other day.

137.JPG

138.JPG

27 quid for a pair from China. Not too bad.

I might remove the roll pinned top nut & replace the locknut it with a nylock.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #255

Thanks Kjell, appreciate it

Right then, It's taken a while but I've bought a SV650 radiator. They were £69.99 each & I was not going to pay that, I offered £40 & ended up buying one for £47.

I was made up, bargain.. er, nope. The following day they were all £49.99 or nearest offer.. bollox..

Anyway, it's arrived & it looks good. It's physically the same size as one vtr radiator it's just missing the unrequired third outlet.

Here's some pictures.

003.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

014.JPG

011.JPG

·
Registered
1 Posts

Nice built so far! I really like your clean and detail loving way to work. I wish I had that much skill and room for such projects.....
I have a comment/question regarding the cooling system: I have stripped my varadero 2 year ago and went for a SV 650 Radiator but from a '99 model. Theese are less wide but a litte higher. Square area is also a bit larger than the later model. when driving around there is no temperature issue at all what I found quite surprising as the square area of the Radiator is only ~60% of the original system. Problem is when you go slow in cities or traffic jam in summer. Temperature will rise very fast and the fan is barely able to cool it down again. The other Problem is that the front Wheel once collided whith the radiator when going offroads into a deep pothole way to fast. The Radiator didn't break but since then I do not have a good Feeling when the forks dive deep... How do you want to solve this? Ok, the later SV Radiator is 3cm less high. That might possibly be enough but it does not solve the thermal issue... I allready thought about fitting a small additional radiator from a scooter or something but somehow I'm not very happy with the Looks of it.... You have any idea how to solve that?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #257

Hi Hans, thanks for your input.

The engine fitted is a vtr1000 which has an oil cooler. I am looking at fitting a bigger CBR1100 oil cooler to help control the temp.

The VTR has a 3 row oil cooler & the CBR1100 has an 8 row oil cooler both around the same length.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #258

Hi guys, not really much to update on the build tbh. I've mostly been completing little jobses that are time consuming but needed sorting before I felt I could move forward.

Also the cameras knackered, no amount of bashing on the bench fixed it either pfff..

First job was that the Weber dcoe 6mm trumpet fastening threaded holes had been drilled out to 8mm god knows why.
A length of 8mm od 6mm id stainless tube was purchased & four 10.5mm long tubes were turned down to insert into the oversized holes enabling the recently purchased shorter trumpets to fit & bolt up correctly & they allow me to also fit the 100mm deep K&N filter.

I also drilled out the air corrector jets to 200 (2mm) from 160 (1.6mm) as recommended.

I was also stuck on how to fit the Cbr1100 blackbird oil cooler. It's huge, but I've managed to squeeze it between the bellypan & front header. I made a complicated stainless bracket utilising the bellpan fastening bolts. Theres not much room, about a millimeter or two either side as the bracket feeds between the starter motor & the bellypan. It was a pig to line up as there's nothing really to use as a center line, so I've gone with the middle of the bellypan & hope it's the middle of the bike. The cooler bolts up on the standard fitting rubber mounts so should be good to go.

The oil cooler pipes were another issue as they stick out at 8 o'clock & 4 o'clock forcing the pipes out wide & vulnerable. If this death trap does handle they might ground out when hard cornering. So somethig had to be done.

I was originally going to use stainless 10mm inline connectors but after hours of searching & reading I decided to go with short (cut down) all flexible oem pipes from a Cbr600 f1 Hurricane (the fittings were not used, only the pipe). The Cbr1100 cooler & VTR engine pipe fittings were removed by grinding the swages off & fittings reused.

Now many will frown about this, but for the cooler fitting I cut into the tube (under the old swage fitting) taking a wedge out of the pipe then squeezing it together & welding it back up. This corrected the pipe direction & it now points towards the engine oil cooler fitting. Difficult to explain now that the camera is broken. After careful cleaning inside the pipe there's no loose bits or restrictions that could cause any issues.

The hurricane oil pipes were then cut to length & a propane torch used to heat/melt the ends then wet fingers to mold them smooth to prevent them unraveling & give it that professional look
. Sounds botchy because it is, but you'd never know if I didnt tell. Jubilee clips hold them on atm but small Mikalor W4's will be purchased & fitted.

I've also mounted the Sv650 radiator but will update on that another day (when I sort a camera)

Hope every one had a nice Christmas & Happy new year.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #259

Cheers Fred,

I know what I want the project to look like & it would be so easy to cut corners & to end up building something I didn't set out to build. That's why I quit for a few months tbh.

The wiring got to me as well & that crap ebay messed with loom didn't help matters. Thats now been stripped & the matching wires have been raided & used to make a mini loom from the loom plugs to the Atx 20 pin Chinese clock plug. What a faff, but now they all match up colour wise & crimped & soldered up to avoid any other phantom electrical issues.

I ordered a fan temp switch the other day. A handfull of clicks & it was mine, it only took all day to find one that switched at 98°, fitted to the 18mm Sv650 rad hole & was fitted with a single spade connector same as the Vtr item. All freaking day.. faff.

It's from a 1980's Citroen BX if anyone's intrested.

I've been under the bike all day making/finishing off a slick minimalistic lower support for the radiator. I'm utilising the two front facing 6mm threads from the front head. Not too keen tbh but not much else there apart from rocker cover bolts & they're a no no in my book. It's not to bad tbh.

Looking forward to fitting the rad switch & goofing with the hoses. Then finding a home for the ignition switch. Oh & finding a radiator fan that fits for the new radiator switch to switch on..

·
Registered
2,187 Posts

You've got some patience every time i work on the bike it has to be finished now, good work keep it up :thumbup:

241 - 260 of 305 Posts