Honda XRV Forum banner

261 - 280 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Re: Bored with your Varadero? Enter "Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero"

Cheers Fred, been busy doing small minor jobs today but ones that needed to be done.

I've been soldering up previously crimped connectors on the small controls loom I made. I did feel that they were good enough & survived the tug test, but I soldered them up just in case.

They consisted of both ends of the clutch lever connectors & the horn connections.

I have been attempting to not modify the Vtr loom at all but I had to chop off the rear light/brake plugs because they plug directly into the VTR rear light. Then I fitted a (3 way Honda style) plug female to the loom & male to the rear light. I now have a brake light that works, I'm chuffed to bits.

I then tidied up the loom & routed it correctly under the tank. Tank on, seat on & a brake light that works not only with the handleber lever but with the foot pedal also. woohoo.

Slowly chipping away..

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #262 (Edited)
Re: Bored with your Varadero? Enter "Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero"

I can't get over it, but I've been at it again today. Not too sure what's come over me tbh & I'm enjoying it too.

Today I focused on the oil cooler bracket. It's a strong complicated little stainless bracket & tbh you can hardly see it, but when every thing is bolted up tight there's a little too much movement for my liking.

The big issue is the starter motors live connector bolt is only 10mm away from the oil rad & I feel it's not good enough, they might touch. So this afternoon I removed the bellypan brackets to strengthen them & realised they're aluminium..

So I made some cardboard templates & made some 5mm stainless replicas right down to the deep bellypan nuts.

Then I fitted it all together & it cured the wobble, woohoo. Another day & another job done that no one will ever see :rolleyes: But this now this allows me to fill her back up with oil.

The Citroen BX temp switch has arrived & it fits great. I'll check it against the VTR item in a pot on the stove before fitting just to make sure it works & switches at the same/similar temp. If I can't get a fan that fits to switch on, I might connect it to a horn :eek: we'll see.

Last word, if anyone is thinking of using or going down the SV650 radiator route (I'm not sure if it'll work yet). The required switch is a

Intermotor Temperature Switch 53675

I'll test tomorrow & update switching temps :thumbleft:

Here's some poor pictures from the crappy argos camera.

DSCF0006.JPG

DSCF0005.JPG

·
Enthusiastic AT rider
157 Posts

The most important thing you need to do right now is buy a new phone/camera, it ain't the same without pics!
Keep it coming, still a great project:thumbup:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #264 (Edited)

Sorry Guys still no pictures
but things are still happening

Update on the cooling system & the hunt for nice'n tidy pipes for the water works. I bought a set of Sv650 hoses (same diameter) £8 delivered from ebay. They arrived but none of them fit nicely in one run, but a mixture of both (Vtr/Sv) combined "half'n half" might work. So I've ordered a length of 25mm dia stainless inline connector. I'm still waiting for it to arrive, so I moved on to the seat fixing.

The seat fixing. This was another job I've been dreading, there's not much room down there & I need to make sure I can still feed the loom through the tight gaps once the engine's bolted in the frame. Ideally I would of liked to weld a crossmember across the two seat spars & it could also be used to support the rear of the tank (mounting rubber), but doing so would prevent me feeding the loom through the frame when the engine is in place. So it needed a good idea.

The idea I came up with was still having a crossmember but it would be a removable stainless flat bar & this would sit on top & bolt to the seat spars. I then marked it up square & drilled two 12mm holes in the seat spars. Then I turned down two 12.30mm diameter 8mm threaded slugs & pressed them (tight fit) into the frame so they're flush. Then I drilled & countersunk the stainless flat bar crossmember so when it's all bolted up it's strong, tidy & pleasing to the eye. The slugs will be fully welded in when the frame is stripped.

I then fitted the tank along with the rear mounting rubber & the seat. Once lined up straight I marked the stainless crossmember with a scriber through the rubber mounting hole. Thing is, the cheap petrol tank is all over the place, it's rear mounting is wonky. This causes the centre of the tank mounting rubber to be off to one side. There's not much I can do apart from "humouring" it, it's an old saying that I use to get things to work/look tidy. I then pull it apart again & in the centre of the scribed mark on the crossmember I weld a short machined piece of 8mm threaded tube. When it was all cooled down I bolted the tank down properly for the first time.

Woo hoo, but what a faff, now I've got to sus out fastening the seat. :thumbright:

Here's some poor pictures from the crappy argos camera.

DSCF0011.JPG

DSCF0012.JPG

The two odd lumps on the seat rails are blu tack, used to check preasure points when the seats fitted.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

Once again, I'm in awe of your perseverance. This is always the first thread I look for when I log on. Finding time to do the bike I can understand, but the patience to write about it and take the pics as well......

I like the 'humouring' slant; so much better than getting frustrated at bits that don't fit as they should.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #266

Thanks for the positivity Tim. Tbh when I get replies it acts as a kick up the backside & gives me a lot of encouragement to continue

I've been looking for a cheap camera & purchased a £35, 20 megapixle effort from Argos. What a load of crap, I took some pictures but they were very poor quality, so I took it back.

Right then, now according to AMA flattrack rules ( I know
but it has to look the part..
) the front number board has to be fitted on/parallel to the forks. The problem is the top yoke ignition key support casting thingy prevents this, so grinder out & off it came. I'm not sure if I posted about this at the time, but I cut it a while ago & it looked awful. It left a big gap comparable to two missing front teeth & needed sorting.

So last week I removed the offending yoke, removed the handlebar clamps & bolted it in the vice. Wound the tig welder up to 100 amps AC, helmet on & proceeded to fill the offending gap up with 3mm filler rod. Ten minutes in & all hell brakes loose with black smoke pouring from the anti vibration rubbers which are on fire. Doh
Panic mixed with a little disappointment sets in as I quickly take the smoking disaster out side so I can breath & see what I've done. Ffs.. I remove the two rubbers. that haven't fallen out, clamp it up & finish filling it up.

Whilst it & I were cooling down I proceded to turn down some steel bar on the lathe to make four replica non-antivibration handle bar mounts, Another 4 hour job no one will see.. then with a 4" grinder equipped flap wheel shape the yoke to make it look as slick as possible. Tbh, to the untrained eye you'd never know it was touched after a thorough wire wooling to clean off all the tarnishing

Another little/big job was the upper number board mount. Whilst faffing with the above, I decided that because there was going to be no movement in the handlebar mounting bolts (because of the solid mounts :rolleyes: ). I could use them to hold the board bracket. So I bolted some 20mm dia 4mm thick stainless 8mm washers onto the bottom of the handlebar mounts. Then tacked up two small pieces of shaped (bent) 10mm dia stainless Yacht rigging to the washers. The correct distance was worked out for them to touch making an "A". Then the mounting bolts/nuts were really tightened making sure there would be no movement, then I partley turned down a short length of a stainless 8mm threadded long nut (originally 50mm long).

The "A" section's tip was then cut away in two parallel (ll) cuts & the threadded long nut was placed in between & tacked up. To finish it off, another thick 8mm washer was tacked on the end of the nut & then the whole thing was welded up. Another little job sorted but a propper Faff again.

Here's a couple of poor pictures with it all fitted together. Ignore the 9 on the board, it's to piss my mate off

DSCF0008.JPG

DSCF0009.JPG

As you can see, the camers was pants.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

Yes, the camera was indeed pants; looks like it can't focus close enough. But the ingenuity was great; yacht rigging on a bike, that's a new one.

As for the burning rubber, I'm glad I'm not the only one who does things like that. I once set my car on fire when welding it; I hadn't seen the bitumen strip on the backside of the weld and the car burned out, taking the garage with it. And it wasn't my garage. I managed to get the oxy set out and hide it before the fire brigade arrived, but in the rush, I forgot to take the welding goggles off the top of my head. I couldn't work out why they kept winking at me, till I looked in the mirror. 30 years on and I still haven't learnt.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #268

Yes, the camera was indeed pants; looks like it can't focus close enough. But the ingenuity was great; yacht rigging on a bike, that's a new one.

As for the burning rubber, I'm glad I'm not the only one who does things like that. I once set my car on fire when welding it; I hadn't seen the bitumen strip on the backside of the weld and the car burned out, taking the garage with it. And it wasn't my garage. I managed to get the oxy set out and hide it before the fire brigade arrived, but in the rush, I forgot to take the welding goggles off the top of my head. I couldn't work out why they kept winking at me, till I looked in the mirror. 30 years on and I still haven't learnt.
Man, that's a cracker.

Right then, my old man came around today for a panad (cup of tea) & handed me a box. There ya go lad, what's that? I ask.
A camera he answers. £30 offof ebay. I open it up & it's a
[h=1]Panasonic DMC-LX3[/h]
s-l1600.jpg

Look's as if I'm back on track :thumbright:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #269 (Edited)

Today I've been busy doing something nobody likes including me, it's the exhaust side number board. It's a requirement for AMA flat track racing & most pictures of old flat trackers adorn them. Now I know that I or it ain't going anywere near a flat track circuit (maybe Anglesey though ;) ) so there's really no need to do this.

But, since I've been playing with the front & carb side boards it was next on the list of things to do. So for the "look" the correct board sizes are 12" x 12" front & non exhaust side. The exhaust side width is also 12" but can be between 10" to 12" deep. I've been studying many pictures & it seems that many show bikes are a lot smaller & I think the reason is because they look better than the required size for racing.

Here is what I've done, I made a cardboard template & started plasma cutting it out & welding yesterday before the camera arrived :thumbright:

P1040901.JPG

P1040911.JPG

P1040918.JPG

P1040919.JPG

P1040921.JPG

P1040924.JPG

P1040927.JPG

P1040929.JPG

P1040932.JPG

P1040950.JPG

These will have to be fitted for road/track use but that'll happen later..

P1040959.JPG

P1040963.JPG

·
Enthusiastic AT rider
157 Posts

That's more like it:thumbleft: Great work as ever.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

Skilful bit of metalwork there, looks really sleek.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #272

Cheers guys :thumbright:

Right then, I've been at it again today. I'm not too sure that I should say this (too many beers maybe..) but when I get an idea in my head, even if I don't like it, I run with it. This number board/sheild is a prime example.

I think It'll work but maybe it looks as if I'm/it's trying too hard to make the bike look older than it is. The thing is though, that exhaust gets freakin hot & something needs to be done so it can be ridden in moderate comfort.

At the moment this is the best I can come up with. Here's phase two, but bear in mind the whole thing might get scrapped :thumbright:

After setting it up in the vice, I was going to tack it up till I realised the protective film was still on the new piece, time too call it a day.

P1040966.JPG

P1040969.JPG

P1040973.JPG

P1040983.JPG

P1040985.JPG

P1040988.JPG

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

Would a stand-off between the two ali pieces help? Get a bit of an air gap between them, to dissipate the heat?

I know, you've just welded them up....

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #274

I'm not too happy with the exhaust shield, so I've walked away & give it a day or two break. So another job found & that was the fitting of a fuel pump.

I was originally going to go gravity feed, but after reading stories about fuel starvation especially at high revs I purchased an Airtex 12v Low-Pressure Fuel Pump. They're recommend for Weber Dcoe carbs, but it's quite large when the filter is screwed on inline.

wfp502_airtex_12_volt_fuel_pump_cs.jpg

So I've ordered some 90° 1/8" nptf bends from china... only place I could find them on ebay, £3.89 for 3.
[h=2] s-l1600ythty.jpg [/h]These will be fastened either side of the pump & they'll allow me to use the supplied filter & pipe fittings. Here's a quick mockup of where I think the pumps going to live.

P1040992.JPG

P1040993.JPG

P1040994.JPG

P1040995.JPG

You can't see it, but there's a small stainless bracket bolted to the old ignition coil mounting points & the pump hangs/bolted to it. I think it looks ok.

When the 90° bends are fitted to the pump they'll face rearwards & I'll spin the fuel tap around so they should line up'ish.

Again, the carb fuel banjo will also be spun 180° & hopefully that will be facing the pump outlet spigot.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #275 (Edited)

Would a stand-off between the two ali pieces help? Get a bit of an air gap between them, to dissipate the heat?

I know, you've just welded them up....
I'm not too sure Tim, I was thinking that with it being one piece it might be a better heatsink, especially with the angled section.

The thing I'm trying to do is 3 birds with one stone.

1. I need to protect my leg.
2. I need a number board that side.
3. I think it look's old skool, er.. maybe

Custom-Harley-Davidson-XR-750-Flat-Tracker-32-1024x653.jpg

harley-davidson-xr750-dirt-track-racer-xr-750-xr-1.JPG

imagesfgdh.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

XR750_1-550x412.jpg

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

Yes, I see what you mean. Yours is pretty close to the first photo, quite curved and sleek looking. Not sure about the last one though....

I'm struck by the wheels on that first one, never seen any like that before. Can't work out whether they're cast or fabricated. Distinctive, aren't they.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #277

Yes, I see what you mean. Yours is pretty close to the first photo, quite curved and sleek looking. Not sure about the last one though....
I've been looking at loads of pictures of these guards & tbh I don't think it looks too bad. I'm going to weld it up next week & if it looks crap I'll just cut it off & start again. I know it looks quite large with no covering on it, but I'm hoping once the black wrap covers it & then the white number board is stuck on, it should brake it up a bit. (if it can handle the heat).

I'm struck by the wheels on that first one, never seen any like that before. Can't work out whether they're cast or fabricated. Distinctive, aren't they.
The wheel style were quite common back in the day. The first vtr tracker pictures I posted, (the one's that inspired me) have similar items the red one has a similar rear six spoker & the yellow one has a matching pair of six spoker's.

There's an advert on vft.org (vintage flat tracker) for some.

09Sep10-Wheels.jpg

PM 8-Spoke Rear Wheel (19 x 3) with disc & sprocket, straight, no cracks, good condition $ 1,200.00

San Jose, California Buyer pays shipping cost

I'd love a set of 19"ers but they're quite pricey. One day some might turn up on eBay..

·
Registered
2,209 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #279

For the heat you can use something like this i use a similar thing on the plastic side panel of my 650 no burn marks yet and part of the silencer is touching it

https://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/bike_parts/motocross_exhausts/exhaust_accessories/apico_aluminium_adhesive_heat_shield_sheet?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2IXE6umz5wIVh7HtCh0bsw8XEAQYBCABEgID6_D_BwE
Thanks for that Fred, appreciate it :thumbright:

I know I'll have to wrap the groin pipes with asbestos or similar, but I'm not keen on the look of wrapped pipes. That's why I'm going to cover/hide it with that huge aluminium shield, but if I also use what you mention above it might even be rideable :cheers:

261 - 280 of 306 Posts