Honda XRV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Re: Bored with your Varadero? Enter "Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero"

Thanks for the positivity Neil :thumbup:

I feel the XRV's Varadero section needs all the traffic it can get tbh, it's quite quiet atm hence why I posted it here :thumbup:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Re: Bored with your Varadero? Enter "Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero"

Back in the shed this morning & decided to bend stuff.

004.jpg

The first try was without an under scorer to help direct the deformation when bending.

I knew it wouldn't work properly but I wanted to see what the outcome would be & here's the result.

I'll also add it was a bugger to remove & there was defiantly a change in force required as it was fifty pencing the box.

026.jpg

The under scorer should of been sorted when I was fabricating the dolly but I forgot about it & Wicky pointed it out to me:thumb:

So I used a 2.5mm arc welding rod stripped of its flux & tacked it on both ends.

Its not permanent, it was an experiment to see what was the minimal height I could get away with, as I'm not too keen on an internal dent.

If you look close it has minimal signs of internal deformation, but you can see some slight fifty pencing on the inside.

I think this is the minimum under scorer height I can hope to get away with :thumbup:

017.jpg

The second try was with an under scorer to help direct the deformation when bending.

018.jpg

019.jpg

027.jpg

I will need to do a 180° rear hoop, for that I think I'll have to strap the arms because of the outward forces.

But for now I'm happy :thumbup:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

Yesterday, after a good think I popped down the shed & started on the rear subframe.

This was the criteria.

1/ It will support my fat ass (strong).

2/ It supports the seat unit tidily (no wobbles) & fits cleanly to the tank to keep the horizontal tank/seat line of the original tracker.

3/ Minimal frame to be seen.

4/ Able to have room to hold the electronics discreetly. Battery, cdi, ignitor, rectifier, etc.

It took all day & what I finished with wasn't my ideal design but here it is anyway.

This is only the top hoop, once this is in place the lowers should be easy to fabricate to it :rolleyes:

009.jpg

014.jpg

016.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

041.jpg

052.jpg

055.jpg

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

Cheers alias, I wasn't expecting to end up with this subframe shape & I'm not too sure if I like it either tbh.

Initially I was thinking of two straight bars like most bikes firing backwards from the spine. I tried it, but the curved seat looked like crap balanced on top.

The fibreglass seat dictated the swoopy frame shape. The seat looks great on the frame, but it looks as if I've bent it already when the seats removed

When finished, I'm hoping there'll be enough room to fit all the electrics under the seat, 2-3 bolts & I'm in.

Also, the conventional front tank mounting hasn't been welded in place yet. Currently the rear underside of the tank is touching the subframe & is dictating the height of the seat subframe & front tank mounting point.

Next job is to set up the bike outside to get the correct tank/seat lines. Hopefully to a horizontal'ish line similar to the original tracker bike.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts

Inspiring to see a little creativity still going on in this day and age ! (with your monthly budget, we should have interesting reading for some time to come ? ........ Ta ! ) :thumbup:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

Slow progress I'm afraid, but here's where I am.

I've been busy tweaking the rear subframe so that the tank fits nicely with the seat.

It sounds easy, but the problem was that the front of the fibreglass seat unit had been sitting on the tail of the tank for setting things up purposes.

When it came to setting things up properly, nothing fitted.

Important issues to solve were,

1. Distance from tank to headstock kept to a minimum when at full lock.

2. Under side of tank needed to be horizontal & as low as possible. (The rear rocker cover breather tube dictated this).

3. The transition from the tank to the seat needed to be clean & tidy. (My plan is to have race seat foam fastened to the fibreglass seat but instead of finishing at the front of the seat unit, extending it beyond to hide the rear tank mount.)

4. keep the seat/tank line as straight as possible but taking into consideration the seat is curved.

Originally I was looking at having the rear quite low, similar to a vintage Harley flat tracker. When I set it up for that look, I found I had to lift the front of the tank to get the seat to the required height & it looked crap.

Like I mentioned above, the rear rocker breather had influence on all this. Think of it like a kids seesaw & the breather is the pivot.

So in the end I had to lift the rear of the seat slightly more than I wanted.

So, I've ended up with.

1. Tank to headstock minimal.

2. The tank horizontal (same as the K&N).

3. Tidy & inline transition from tank to seat. So hopefully the seat foam will hide the transition.

4. Now the rear has been lifted, it hides the fact there's a curve in the seat base & it still looks relatively flat.

Here are some pictures of the finished setup.

Please bear in mind structural braces have yet to be fitted & there will be lot's of them:thumbleft:

013.jpg

012.jpg

050.jpg

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

I can't sleep, so here's another issue I've been thinking about, the exhaust.

The original flat tracker bike picture that inspired me has a pair of shotgun megaphones which I think look great.

One thing I've noticed is that they tilt up very early after the clutch cover, if I find a pair of 45mm megaphones I'd love to fabricate a similar setup but until I find some I'll have to make do with a singular 50mm inlet item.

When placed on the bike it looks wrong, the main issue is because of the placement of the riders right peg. It's too far back & because of this it forces the upswept link pipe section to be too far back also, which in turn pushes the exhaust father back.

So I've been thinking, what about copying an original flat tracker footpeg setup? Low & foreword right peg with a high rear biased left peg.

I could accomplish this by By fitting a Varadero right side hanger, peg & master cylinder & a VTR left hanger, peg & gear shifter.

The Varadero peg is designed to accommodate a pipe in-between it & the engine, so it should enable me to start the upward tilt of the link early. Similar to the original bike.

It would seriously compromise me turning right (proper dangerous), but left handers would be great. Best of all though, it would enable me to fit a great looking exhaust.

Here's a picture of why I'm thinking about this.

085.jpg

094.jpg

·
Enthusiastic AT rider
148 Posts

Looks good. Keep it coming. We need a thread like this to take us through the winter months!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

Hopefully this Winter I should get things done quicker. There's been big delays this year looking for stuff that'll look good on the project.

The tig welder episode was a right faf also.

Now the tank/seat lines have been sorted it's just a case of getting time to fabricate the frame braces.

On the exhaust issue I am thinking of changing my mind & installing something similar to this picture.

hd-xg750r-flat-track-1.jpg

It's just an idea, so far I've bought a pair of Supertrapp cylindrical silencers, a single megaphone item & still I can't make up my mind :confused:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)

I'm starting to romance the idea of the Harley exhaust above. I doubt I'll get my hands on a set of Vance & Hines like those, so..

Just an idea, but I've seen these for 43 notes each on ebay.

s-l1600bbb.jpg

s-l1600kku.jpg

s-l1600gg.jpg

Together with some 45mm sanitary flow bends similar to the inlet tubes I bought, maybe I could knock something up that looks similar?

I've just seen that they also sell 3" diameter one's also, which I think would look less bulky :)

s-l1600ttt.jpg

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

Not much action been going on down the shed tbh, I've been forced into building a kitchen instead :rolleyes:.

Evening wise though, I've been looking into the possibility of running a high level exhaust.

My main reason is that if I use the Vtr peg hangars, the point were the silencer starts to angle up after the peg is too long & I think it'll look wrong.

The original picture gets away with it because the footpeg is under the clutch casing. If I did the same, turning right would cause the peg to touch down too easily.

It's going to be fiddly, expensive & time consuming to sort out, but I am going to give it a go.

So I've sent Santa my parts list :D

First order is 12 (should be enough) 45mm mandrel bends from the same guys in China that the 50mm inlet bends came from. Hopefully they'll be under the tree soon :D

The exhaust I've chosen to copy is the new Harley xr750 Vance & Hines setup.

Whilst hunting for ideas last night I found this picture of the uncovered exhaust I want to make.

Cj5dpkgUUAEZaCc.jpg

I had a feeling it wasn't nice & simple under the heat shield as I've found no other pictures of the system.

Looks as if I might need more bends..:lol:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

Checked the letter box earlier to avoid any soaked letters as it's pouring with rain & blowing a gale here.

Woo hoo! Santa's been early :eek:

003.jpg

It's been just over a week since ordering from China, I'm thinking that they must have a depot in UK.

Next on the list is a meter length of 45mm tube & a bag of Mikalor clamps.

That should give me an idea of the length of silencers to buy, especially after attempting to make the 2-1-2 link.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

Finished the kitchen I was press ganged into building :D

Back to things that really matter :lol:

I'm full of cold so I feel my best medicine is sitting in front of a pc with 4 layers of clothes on looking for parts for the build.

I'm still running with the new Harley exhaust idea & appreciate it might not work & may be a total waste of everything. Here's my thoughts though & what's been purchased so far.

As mentioned previously, I've gone with 45mm stainless headers.

I've already purchased a box of 12x 90° bends.

Me being lazy I've ordered 4x 45° bends, just in case..

Some "Weld on Ferrule Sanitary Pipe Fitting" which will (Hopefully) be header flange's, 2 pairs ordered = 4 flanges.

I've also bought a box of 10x Mikalor W2's 43mm-47mm clamps to hold it all together prior to welding.

My biggest gamble has been the silencers, if you can call them that.

Whilst studying the Vance & Hines setup, nice flowing headers piped to a nasty complex "X" then 2 fat stubby silencers.

I was originally going to go with some silencers that I mentioned in previous posts. They looked okay, but a bit basic tbh, so I looked for prettier items & I think I've found some.

Don't laugh too loud but with space being very limited I'm going to have a pop with these.

I forgot to mention that they're stainless & cost £17.99 delivered.

A pair have just been ordered for £35.98 delivered :D

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600ghl.jpg

s-l1600hh.jpg

s-l1600hhh.jpg

s-l1600tt.jpg

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

I would like to add that the only purpose of me building my own exhaust is for looks & not for any performance gains. I'm not trying to re invent the wheel. I'm just trying to make a great looking exhaust.

I am really looking forward to running her on a dyno if it ever gets finished.

Here's the reasons I've done what I've done.

When I made the intake manifold, I was surprised how easy it came together. The Mikalor clamp idea has given me the confidence to take on the exhaust build, a project within a project.

My only reasons for choosing a 45mm pipe were that I could utilise the oem header flanges. The plan was & might still be to cut the oem ends off & slide into the 45mm stainless bends. I've now bought some other stainless flanges, so I'll see what's what when they arrive. I would like to fabricate it all in stainless if I can.

I'll also add that the V&H Harley exhaust that I'm attempting to copy will guarantee a power hike for Harley, but I've really been put off by the required X joint for scavenging. I think I can safely say V&H aren't too proud either or they'd have it on show, instead of hidden behind the heat shield that portrays the two pipes running in parallel.

I've spotted these @ £23.99 + £2.99 p&p, a bit expensive but look quite similar to the V&H setup.

Two welded together would work & look similar, but just not keen tbh.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

Been looking for more bits because it's freezing out there. Getting too old to be fiddling in the cold.. Sure there's a song in there somewhere

Ordered a new goodie for under the tree
a 1250mm length of stainless

Christmas is gona be brill this year

Also been looking into these Chinese exhausts I've bought.

They look a bit like a SC PROJECT exhaust knock off

If they sound anything like them I'll be over the moon.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

I admit that I've been a bit slow in actual building at the moment.

Same thing went on last year, all the major thinking for the flat tracker went on about now. It's a cracking time to get things I really want instead of the usual crap/presents, jumper, socks I really need

I've been busy searching things I'll need & I'm happy with the bits I've bought.

But, I didn't really think about the header manifolds. I feel that after all this stainless pipework faf, I can't really have oem mild steel flanges

So I've been looking into what would be needed to make some nice looking header flanges. The items I've seen & want to copy are from a recently sold on eBay rc51 exhaust.

They are similar in design to the titanium Arrow Cbr600 set up I have & looks so god dam good with all those springs.

This is what I'm thinking of.

Buying a short 300mm length of Stainless bar/plate 75mm or 65mm wide 8-10mm thick to make the flanges (The oem Vtr items are 62mm wide flanges).

Buying/making some 3mm wall 51mm od pipe & cutting 2 pieces to 20mm lengths. These will be welded to the engine side of the flanges.

Then buy/make some 1.5mm'ish walled 45mm id pipe to be welded to the outer side of the flanges. These will be used as stubbs for the header pipes to locate in. Hopefully these will assist with the on & off setting up the exhaust when it's been fabricated.

I feel It's safe to say this exhaust faf is snowballing out of control

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

More bits arrived on the post mans sleigh today.

The 1250mm length of stainless arrived, I was a bit worried the tube & bend diameters would be different.

Some sell their product in Metric & some sell in Imperial. They both state 45mm & with both countries (China/UK) using the metric system I was surprised to find they are actually 1.750".

So long as they're both the same it'll look okay, it's just the id of the link pipe/header pipe bits I need to be a good fit.

001.jpg

003.jpg

006.jpg

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #59

The postman's sleigh arrived again this morning.

Now me being a stickler for the "no opening of prezzies before Christmas morning" protocol, I was torn..

Do I wait & risk ruining Christmas for myself & everyone around me? Or open them now to check all's good? But ruin my own surprise.

I waited 57 seconds & careful fingering of the boxes ensued. Low & behold, one box felt shorter than the other & had a little bit of damage.

Here's the evidence :lol:

003.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

011.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

015.jpg

017.jpg

Sorry for all the pictures, but for £35.98. for the pair I was made up.

Just don't mention to the wife I've has a peek ;)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #60

Since buying the silencers, I've been looking at lots of SC Project exhausts & I've noticed that if it wasn't for the huge diameter link pipe to the silencer (if you can call it that) it would look even sillier.

This has made me think about the link pipe diameter & the diameter choices that the exhaust link pipes offer.

I'll quickly add that I've just ordered a small 500mm length of 48mm stainless pipe for joining things together & for sliding 45mm inside.

This 48mm pipe should also allow my "leftover inlet" 1.5mm walled 51mm pipe to slide nicely over that. So if it fits & looks okay I could "megaphone" from 45mm to 48mm to 51mm then into the silencers.

Or should I go straight into the silencers with 45mm?

What do you recon ?

41 - 60 of 289 Posts