Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Project VaraTurnipStorm or FireTurnipDero.

Now I know I’m still working on the Tracker project, but after thinking of this name I just had to start a thread before someone else does & pinches the title. Ha.

The idea has come around after reading up about various Harley XR750 flat track based racers. I was originally going to complete the bike that I’m making at the moment & maybe knock out another tracker with all the bits that I’ve picked up whilst hunting for stuff for this one. Also, a second tracker should be relatively easy as Inow have all the tools & knowledge of what does & doesn’t fit.

Then I thought, where’s the fun in build two the same?

After lots of searching, reading & looking I learnt that a few tweaks to the Harley XR chassis can make it into a different beast altogether.

The XR750 / XRTT & the Turnip eater are quite similar chassis & engine wise, so if they can do it with a Harley engine & a mild steel frame then I/we should be able to do it with the Vtr engine & a mild steel Varadero frame.

Now I’ve never been attracted to old 60’s/70’s race bikes but I’m changing (male menopause?).

Is it a good thing? I dunno, but it’ll be an interesting project IF I have a go at it.

Here's some pictures.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.jpg

2191895339_cbc1dd9872_b.jpg

DSCF2260.JPG

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.jpg

The fairing can still be had from these guys

HARLEY DAVIDSON TURNIP EATER LEO PAYNE BONNEVILLE SALT FLATS WORLD RECORD KR750 IRONHEAD SPORTSTER XR750 FLAT HEAD, ROAD RACE, FULL FAIRING, SEAT, FUEL TANK, CAFE RACER

For the tank I've seen a Sinnis Hoodlum 125 jobbie.

ZS125-79-Z30-3.jpg

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Bored with your Varadero? Enter "Project Varaturnipstorm or Fireturnipdero"

Right then, I'm so busy in work & being stuck with fitting the wiring on the tracker project (as in making it look tidy) there's not much to report. I appreciate that I've not completed the tracker project & it should be finished before this project starts, but I feel that by collecting parts when they pop up saves time & money in the long run. If only the Misses could see it this way..

I have many searches on ebay & am constantly looking for odd's & sod's, these searches are checked every day & many purchases are made well before they're actually needed.

Here's some recent purchases for the Turnip build.

165.JPG

On the left is a complete Varadero 1000 front end & on the right is a CBR600 F4i front end.

I also have the calipers & master & braided lines for the cbr front.

Not sure if the turnip build will require headstock modification chop/change or a complete new frame to allow for the shallower fork rake.

I now have both so no problem which ever way it goes.

If I did use the Varadero forks I was thinking of removing the left (linked) caliper & clean (grind & smooth) the fork leg & run only one right disc & caliper for a super clean look.

Both sets of fork seals have failed so I've bought two sets of seals & since they are both 43mm diameter I treated myself to one of these.

141.JPG 142.JPG 178.JPG

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I've also found a dent free Tank.

155.JPG

157.JPG

156.JPG

160.JPG

The plan is to remove the tabs from the underside.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Oh, I forgot I got one of these too..

006.JPG

I was lucky with the mounting plate, fits spot on to the Hoodlum Tank :cool:

These will go on the CBR forks if fitted.

009.JPG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts