Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Good to see everyone had a camera to proportion blame. I wouldn't like to have been the officer having to explain his actions in reduced visability & he was lucky the bike didn't take him out

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I wonder if the policeman would have stepped out in front of an Articulated HGV in the same circumstances?
It seems the second riders vision of the policeman was masked by the first bike and was looking to avoid the bike by going down the inside till the policeman was visible.
Yellow hi viz is not very good in foggy conditions, the orange sort is better. Not trying to excuse the rider, but as a safety profesional the policeman should have known better.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Yellow hi viz is not very good in foggy conditions,
He might as well have been wearing an invisibility cloak if it weren't for his black pants providing some contrast.

Both on the thick side, indeed. Copper for stepping out into traffic in low visibility conditions while essentially wearing camouflage, and even without the radar gun the bikers did seem to be going "a bit" fast for the conditions.

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Can't view vid at work but looking at the photo Michel has posted is the reason why it's so important to break up your appearence so it's not just for one particular lighting. I have a hi-viz bib (one of those Mil-Tek thingys) and it `seems` to work, don't want to tempt fate mind. I then still have black arms so if I'm in conditions like that of the photo then I won't be completely invisible and vise-versa for dark conditions.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
752 Posts
The bikers were going too fast in my opinion but that Police officer needs to be demoted to a street beat on foot.

Nobody with that low level of awareness for road safety should be in charge of policing everyone's road safety.

It was a lucky result but could have easily been the bike sliding into oncoming traffic instead. As a traffic officer with a radar gun he is supposed to both know and act on that possibility but wanted to show his power as a traffic officer as he was being filmed by a TV crew.

The police do a tough job and are rarely rewarded, this is not a rant at the police in general just the stupidity of this particular officer. He is supposed to know better and showed on film he clearly doesn't.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Can't view vid at work but looking at the photo Michel has posted is the reason why it's so important to break up your appearence so it's not just for one particular lighting.
I noticed that the newest crop of bike jackets seem to have ditched the one colour hi-viz all over look and gone for blobs of hi-viz against black. Seems a much more sensible option indeed... Dazzle camo! :mrgreen:

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Come on guys, don't defend them because they ride, the policeman could have flagged them to stop, but the second rider was either going to fast or not concentrating or both!
Let's be honest, even the most careful riders or drivers are lucky a lot of the time. Every bend could have a parked or broken down vehicle round the corner. Horse, pedestrian, anything.
The second biker was out for a ride and rightly or wrongly was riding too quickly for the conditions.
There we go, head above parapet, time to reap the whirlwind.

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Actually, watching it over and over, I wonder if the radar picked up the second bike, as the first one stopped very comfortably.
Plus, even after, why did the second bike not ease off the brakes and go to the right of the first bike, no cars coming.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I hate to defend them but i don't think the copper did anything wrong. They were speeding the first and third bike managed to stop effortlessly the second was not watching what was going on and that was what caused the accident not the copper stepping out

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Come on guys, don't defend them because they ride, the policeman could have flagged them to stop, but the second rider was either going to fast or not concentrating or both!
Let's be honest, even the most careful riders or drivers are lucky a lot of the time. Every bend could have a parked or broken down vehicle round the corner. Horse, pedestrian, anything.
The second biker was out for a ride and rightly or wrongly was riding too quickly for the conditions.
There we go, head above parapet, time to reap the whirlwind.
I hate to defend them but i don't think the copper did anything wrong. They were speeding the first and third bike managed to stop effortlessly the second was not watching what was going on and that was what caused the accident not the copper stepping out
I agree with you guy's.
Ok, the copper stepping out into the road to stop the bikes probably wasn't the cleverest thing to do.
The way I see it, the 1st bike pulls up easily & didn't appear to be using excessive speed, the second guy way too quick & not looking ahead, 3rd guy locked his back wheel 'emergency stopping' despite having the greatest distance to stop.

It'd be interesting to see the speedo figures from the onboard footage.

Phil

sent from my 'phone

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In my opinion there's no doubt the second rider wasn't paying attention, the brake light of his mate in front should have been signal enough to begin braking. The visibility of the policeman was undoubtedly hampered by the conditions and certainly (again in my opinion) was not a safe practice for him or other road users to step out as late as he did

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Actually, watching it over and over, I wonder if the radar picked up the second bike, as the first one stopped very comfortably.
Plus, even after, why did the second bike not ease off the brakes and go to the right of the first bike, no cars coming.
Pause the video taken looking backwards from the front bike at the point just before impact. It shows a closeup of the front brake lever. Thats not how I use a front brake! Perhaps it explains the locked rear wheel?
I think the bike is a Suzuki SV, does it have linked brakes.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I agree with you guy's.
Ok, the copper stepping out into the road to stop the bikes probably wasn't the cleverest thing to do.
The way I see it, the 1st bike pulls up easily & didn't appear to be using excessive speed, the second guy way too quick & not looking ahead, 3rd guy locked his back wheel 'emergency stopping' despite having the greatest distance to stop.

It'd be interesting to see the speedo figures from the onboard footage.

Phil

sent from my 'phone
95mph on the clock on the second bike.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Not defending the the riders. Particularly in foggy conditions. Its the stupidity of the police officer, supposedly a safety expert, who steps out into the road. As I commented in my first post, would he have done that infront of an artic?

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Not defending the the riders. Particularly in foggy conditions. Its the stupidity of the police officer, supposedly a safety expert, who steps out into the road. As I commented in my first post, would he have done that infront of an artic?
Got to disagree with you there mate.

It was speed and awareness that was the contributing factors to the incident not the police officer. Should he have let bikes doing +95mph in bad conditions to carry on doing so? There's only one answer and as a responsible safety officer thats no, the speed is above all speed limits so rightly or wrongly it's illegal. We've all been above those speeds and it's bad luck for the guys that got caught but it is there own faults. If they were doing 40mph could they all of stopped, if they were doing 40mph would they have been pulled in by the officer.

As for the copper jumping out infront of an artic, would there be a need for him to do it to a fully loaded lorry? Would a fullyloaded lorry be travelling well above the speed limits? definatly not, so there would be no reason for him to try unless he wanted to check the load weight of the lorry

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
1 - 20 of 69 Posts