Honda XRV Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
the thing I don't understand is why does rider 2 go left when his mate is being pulled, instead of going around the outside..........:confused:
I dont think he realised the copper was in the road and was too close to stop by the time he did realise - possibly panic braking and lack of experience. - I guess only he will know

·
Registered
752 Posts
There's lots of back on forth on speed/copper stepping out.

They were obviously riding too fast and it would appear inexperience/poor skill was the reason the second bike ended up on the floor.

The point is as a highly trained officer charged with keeping our roads safe, the police officer should have anticipated that possibility. If it were a single speeding car it could be understood, but multiple road users in close proximity, speeding in those conditions had too many variables to step out in front of and with his training, should have known better.

It was safer for other road users, let alone the 3 bikes involved, to signal them to pull in from the side of the road, filming them should they not stop for prosecution later.

The officer is responsible for road safety and he failed in his duty of care to the road users in his actions. Simples

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
but thats not riding to conditions - The first and third rider stopped ok (just about) had the Sv rider left more room, he could have stopped from his indicated 95 mph.
Had the Sv rider left more room he might've seen the problem a bit later and still crashed into it. He apparently had enough trouble seeing what was going on from the distance he kept, so who can tell, really. :mrgreen:

Fact is, from the point of view of the obstacle he crashed into he was going faster than he could brake for, and whether that's a matter of going too fast or not riding to conditions is going into the sort of subtle semantics that might be lost on my second language english skills. ;-)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I brake using two fingers (except on the transalp....both hands and feet when in a hurry:D) - most modern sports bikes have very strong brakes so you generally only need two fingers...... (Rossi only ever uses 2 fingers - even when slowing from 200mph +)
Hi Sean, I agree, I brake with two fingers but he was using just his little finger and the one next to it and they were almost on the lever piviot point.

I use the first and second finger on the lever and then sometimes use the same fingers to signal to the person in the vehicle that I have braked to avoid :D

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
I have over 40 years riding experience and the way I see it is that the Police Officer saw done speeding bikes (for the conditions) and tried to stop them BUT the bikes were very close - the first bike looked as though he was going to overtake the policeman who was now an obstacle but when he raised his hand the rider stopped - the second rider assumed a passing of the obstacle but saw first bike stop - a bit of panic back brake and perhaps trying to avoid crossing the road he aimed for the gap - the gap that the policeman walked into hence crash - he probably would have made it if it were not for the policeman in the way.

HOWEVER - All riders were going too fast for the conditions and didn't leave enough braking distance (safe braking) to deal with this kind of incident.

I live in Wales - sheep act like this policeman - see a bike and jump out - add misty conditions and it's a recipe for disaster - roll off its safer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Oooh you lot. I knew I'd miss out on a good argument.:D

Three bikes all following each other at identical speeds. Two manage to stop in time. Both the riders who stopped may be saying to the one who didn't "Bloody stupid copper, it was all his fault", but actually they're thinking "For F**** sake you ****hole, we managed to stop, you ****!"

It's like the infamous invisible diesel spills that get blamed every time someone finds out their bike is better than they are. It's just a bluff and bravado to excuse human error by the biker.

I bet the two riders who did stop don't rush to ride out with him again.

If you ride into the back of someone it is your fault - that is why these scammers do the crash for cash scam of pulling away then stopping suddenly, knowing the driver behind is not concentrating and will drive into the back of them (sometimes they also remove their brake lights).

The police might decide not to stop bikers like that again on the basis that they now know some bikers have even less control of their bikes than they thought possible.

Having said all that, we've all been in a situation where we had not left enough time to stop, not looked, not seen, not reacted fast enough. Most of us have got away with it (as this guy might have done trying to go up the inside). We all moan to fellow bikers about diesel, gravel, muck on the road or a driver pulling out or on their phone etc - but, inside, we know it was our fault.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts