Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some guidance on this please, I know some of you have experimented an awful lot in this area and I've read through some of the posts but don't really get the answer.

Basically after a day of trail riding I've realised that the only way I'm going to be able to increase my pace is to sort the front end out.

At present I don't know whether my forks are just due an overhaul or if the springs are shot. What have you guys done to stop the front bottoming out?

Progressive springs?
Insert valve things?
Both?

Back shock seems to coping well at the moment.

Cheers

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Try some spacers on top of the fork springs, they have a lot of sag as standard.
I find about 1/2" is enough for the road but I'm sure Mudwiz went with much more offroad.

Phil

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
After I fitted the progressive springs the other month I have done all the lanes I had bottoming out problems with and it has dissappeared. The front of the bike has also come up at least a couple of inches,the sag has gone and the handling transformed, I'm not 100% on the road handling but I think a firmer front end takes some getting used to with the braking etc.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There does seem to be a lot of sag as standard. The height it sits at when on the centre stand would make things a lot better.

Maybe some progressive springs and oil change will do the business.

B*gger more money :(

·
Ride any Road. Ask me...
2,574 Posts
Cheap, instant improvements with heavier fork oil, 15w I think, and 1 1/2" spacers on top of the springs. Best made with plumbing waste water pipe iirc. Do that and soften all the rear shock adjustments as far a possible. Possibly tighten the spring a bit too, a couple of turns in the first instance and experiment as to what will work for you - depends on body mass and tyres/pressures.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I need some guidance on this please, I know some of you have experimented an awful lot in this area and I've read through some of the posts but don't really get the answer.

Basically after a day of trail riding I've realised that the only way I'm going to be able to increase my pace is to sort the front end out.

At present I don't know whether my forks are just due an overhaul or if the springs are shot. What have you guys done to stop the front bottoming out?

Progressive springs?
Insert valve things?
Both?

Back shock seems to coping well at the moment.

Cheers
probably the easiest, cheapest (time wise) and most sucessful way is to ring K-Tech tell them your bike, your weight, the type of riding you want to do and they will tell you the rest. A custom build and setup for me was around £140 for my xr400 and that included carriage and you wouldn't believe the difference..

Don't go own the road of heavier fork oil as when your offroading the suspension needs to move quicker than on tarmac, thicker oil will slow down the movement, you'd be better off getting springs to suit your weight and then putting lighter oil in the forks, i use 5w in both my offroaders

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts