Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just dodged the bullet and evaded an imminent accident when some nutsack suffering from major protein deprivation on the right lane taking the same exit as I was decided to cut me off suddenlly making a full left at 90 kmh, throwing himself right on top of me...

I heard many tragic accounts of last seconds before you met the Maker but I certainly was drawing blank...

anyhow... the question at hand: Do the braided brake wires actually work? Do they make a difference with the same std brake kit! disks calipers AND FRONT SUSPENSIONS? Will I have to modify the fork springs as well???

Kerem Cesmebası

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Do the braided brake wires actually work? Do they make a difference with the same std brake kit! disks calipers AND FRONT SUSPENSIONS? Will I have to modify the fork springs as well???
Yes,
Yes,
No.

Braided hose, essentially removes any of the flex of the rubber hose so more of your grip on the lever is transferred to the caliper. There may be more effects but that is the main one as I understand it.

I have fitted braided hoses to about 10-12 of my past bikes. I've never needed to change anything else as far as the brake system is concerned nor have I had to improve the suspension.
(You could shorten your fork-springs and increase the spacer size to increase the rate of your springs, if it is too bouncy, but that would be down to taste, not necessity. You'd also loose some of the give in the forks if you like leaving the tarmac once in a while.)

How braided hoses feel:
You'll need less power to brake as you do now and so a handfull will make you brake harder. Hoses won't turn your two-pot caliper into a radial six-pot. Your caliper or master cylinder may become the limiting factor and they'll reach a point where no matter how hard you squeeze they won't bite harder. You may have reached this point with your existing hoses, only again, you'll get there easier with braided. The downside is that some people say you loose "feel". I agree that is the case initially but you learn what the bike feels like with the new lines and I have still been able to have nice smooth, subtle braking when I want it, rather than being just "on-off".

HTH. Good luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a lot.

Do you think a more effective tranmission of hydrolics would amplify any jerky feeling of a minisculy warped front disk?

I think either of my front disks or both I dunno may be warped. There is a very subtle on and off jerking feeling on front brakes especially when pressed hard.

The feeling tapered off when I changed the hydrolics and the front wheel which turned out to be damaged... and yet the feeling is still there somewhat. So the culprit is either the disks or the rim which may have deformed along with the front wheel.

The braideds front and back are smth like EUR 140 in Touratech but a front disk is EUR 600 at Honda!!! I dont want to poke a stick in a bee hive at second thought :confused: pros cons...!!!!!!!!!!

Kerem Cesmebasi

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
IMO, if you have a warped disc, you'll feel it a bit more with the braided hoses. The front disc on my TA is mildly warped and it is a bit more noticable with the braided hoses on. Cleaning the brake parts can also help.

You can take both discs of, (noting which is left and which is right as well a which is the outer or inner surface of each) and put them on a dead flat surface to see which is warped. Apparently, if they are badly torqued down, this can also twist the disc...

As for prices:
The UK’s biggest choice of motorcycle parts for Japanese and European machines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts