Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just fitted a SS braided hose to the front Brembo on my 97 Dominator. I've not road tested it yet but hope this will improve the performance of the 'marginal' front brake.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I fitted braided hoses to my SLR and found that the brakes aren't stronger, they just give more feel and precision. Later fitted a small bore Nissin brake lever/master cylinder/remote reservoir (early CBR600?) which does improve things: better master/slave ratio, lever pulls back closer to the bars but gives more pressure on the pads and feels very progressive.
I guess that Brembos use a big master piston, whereas the bore on a Nissin is typically smaller... anyone know more??

ps, I see you like big twins: my other bike is a Buell XB9R... too fast for the local roads :(
Pistons are like "breasts", 2 are enough for anyone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Keep me posted, Im thinking of goodridge or Hel for my SLR. i'm not sure if it's worth it or if I should just bleed the brakes and fit sintered pads.
my bike only has 13000 miles on it, and the original lines look in good condition.

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
I have stainless lines on my Vigor deffo more feel,but still useless especialy compared to the olderyam aircooled RD, thinking about replacing the moped master cylinder with summat meatier though, CBR / I have a yam FJ 900 master cylinder in the shed that is going on the project TDR i may try that on the vigor
Merv

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
I know someone with a CBR cylinder (for 6 calipers) mounted via regular hosing to dommie brakes (2 caliper). Result? Touch the lever too hard and you lock up the front. That's it. With braided hosing even for his years of experience (~15yrs on the road and at least 10k miles each year), emergency braking felt - quote: too uncontrollable to be safe.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Originally Posted by El Vencejo
NEVER!
I mean 2 at a time, not into 4-cyl bikes, had a few; OK 2x2 of most things is nice, but 2 per person is right (having worked in Wales and Cumbria, some folks think that 6 or 8 is normal!):confused:

If U don't understand, just visit Bangor.....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Switch, for a multi-piston master, normally the ratio is too high for a 2-pot caliper and the usual result is a very wooden feel that requires massive grip to work. Go for smaller bore and U get lots of progressive feel with more effective braking... but grab it hard and discover high speed stoppies !:eek:

Robnobrakes, love the V2's, never had a Guzzi want one for their oddness. The Buell/sporty lump has a gearbox that is weakest in second; from where I live I use 1st and 2nd for at least half an hour's riding until I can change up: 155 bends in 20kms to get from 600metres up a mountain down slippery crushed-olive coated roads to the coast. Often no barriers and 100metre drops; a brandy or a "smoke" too many and life gets exciting! So sadly the Buell will be going, poss to be replaced with another V2 or big single project, something that my angle-grinder will get on with. (Never met a stock bike I like:) )

a bit of local stone road:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Originally Posted by El Vencejo
NEVER!
I mean 2 at a time, not into 4-cyl bikes, had a few; OK 2x2 of most things is nice, but 2 per person is right (having worked in Wales and Cumbria, some folks think that 6 or 8 is normal!):confused:

If U don't understand, just visit Bangor.....
:laughing3:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts