Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello again. my front brake is binding so i fancied stripping it down to give it a good freshen up. not much recent history on the bike so i thought i aught to. anyone know where to get a new gasket set and i'm sure someone will have advice on the stripdown before i start! cheers all!

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
David Silver seems to be the place to go for honda stuff in the UK...

Can't really add a lot except commiserations. The earlier Nissin brakes (on the RD02) are especially known for seizing up, I've had it apart more often than I care for, including a whole new caliper after messing up the head of one of the slider pins.

If you do one thing, put them back together with a bit of heat resistant grease on the pins that hold the pads, as these tend to seize up something horrible.

Plenty more grease on the sliders that connect the caliper to the bracket, this is what usually causes the binding feeling.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers mate. need to crack on with it. had it a month and still not mot'd it! had some off-road fun but aught to get serious and get it on road.

·
Registered
123 Posts
mine was doing that ,i took it off n left the pipe on ect cleaned it and i cleaned the sides of the piston with wd 40 [before anyone says it nacks them it doesnt ive done it for many years]i just clean as good as i can with pin in crack ect ,mine was mint afterwards ,i gave it a good clean,i actualy ripped the dust seal so i cleaned that n superglued it together and its class ,i squirt it in the sides of piston and ive always done it and many a time has done the trick ,but thats me mate :toothy7:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds good enough. not touched it yet so a good squirt may be all it needs after all. it had sat in a garage not movin for months before i got it. cheers guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts