Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Also posted this up at the KTM forum, but I'm looking for as fast an answer as I can get... Finally got the plates for my bike, and now the brakes are spongy after sitting in the garage for 3 months.

According to the local dealer, I can't bleed them on my own, as the ABS requires a special KTM computer to activate the ABS pump while replacing the brake fluid. Failure to use the computer will result in air in my brakes and ABS pump, rendering them useles...

Is the dealer trying to get more money, or is this genuine?

Any help hugely appreciated, want to get out there & ride, but spongebob isn't really encouraging at the moment...

JB

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi mate.

Not sure about the KTM 990 specifically. But I just read through the workshop manual for my Varadero (ABS model), and there is no specific mention of any special treatment for the ABS pump. Just bleed the brakes as normal.

Obviously on the Vara this is slightly more complex due to the linked braking system, there is a specific sequence of brake lines to bleed in order, but that is all.

Only special recommendation made is to use a vacum type bleeder, which is good practice anyway, and definately helps to remove all the air from the system. These vacum bleeders can be bought relatively inexpensively from car accessory shops. I got my Gunsons model from Halfords in the UK.

When you think about it, this is fairly logical, as the ABS pump is only usually activated when one wheel is turning faster than the other. Not usually during normal braking. Therefore, I can't see why the ABS pump should be treated any differently from the rest of the brake system.

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Curzon,

The responders on other forums have all called "Bullsh*t" on the dealer's claim.

I'm doing the brakes on my brother's F650 Funduro next weekend, that will give me some practice before I tackle the ABS bike...

Another tip from the ADV forum was to force the ABS to kick in by braking on a dirt road, then topping up/bleeding some more air out.

We'll see what happens, I'll drop an update on the forum when I'm done!

JB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts