Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got ideas why my caliper is not functioning, bearing in mind Im a mechanical dummy.
I had taken off the front wheel to replace the speedo nylon gear drive and had taken off the calipers from the fork legs. Put wheel back on and replaced calipers.... but then the wheel was seized. Took off cals again looked at them, bit dirty and next to nil pad. New pads fitted and try again.. still seizing.
Off with cals and squirt with brake cleaner ...clean up then separate caliper from mounting braket and clean off opposing pins and re grease.
So with left hand caliper fitted wheel spins, fit right hand and seized.
Cant see where its all going wrong:(

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
Sounds like the pistons have stuck in the caliper. It might need a strip down and new seals. Did it to me once on a ZX12 with six pot brakes. Shouldn't be to bad on a XR

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Posted in TA sect should give a clue to the bike its on:D
Cheers Mike... are pistons easy stuff

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
Yep I've done them so they can't be that hard:D. If you've got rubber hoses it's easier because you can clamp them to stop losing fluid. makes it easier to bleed at the end.

Missed the forum, still they're only four pot ain't they?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Yep I've done them so they can't be that hard:D. If you've got rubber hoses it's easier because you can clamp them to stop losing fluid. makes it easier to bleed at the end.

Missed the forum, still they're only four pot ain't they?
Twin pot actually.

Phil, Remove the caliper and pads and place a block of wood in the space pump the lever and watch which piston if any moves.
The wood will prevent the pistons coming all the way out, once they are both almost completely out clamp the hose and remove each piston to get to and clean replace the seals.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I need apiece of wood that will allow the pistons to come out how far. Remeber the mechanical dummy bit:D

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
So I need apiece of wood that will allow the pistons to come out how far. Remeber the mechanical dummy bit:D
Use an old pad if wood is not available, it is only to stop one of the pistons popping out and leaving one behind, it also prevents the pistons falling out and covering you in brake fluid.

·
Registered
494 Posts
if the brakes were ok before you removed the wheel then your problem is youve fitted the spacers wrong moveing the wheel to 1 side will cause the wheel to lock to the brakes:thumb:
hth carl

·
Carpe Diem
28 Posts
I agree re the spacers...if in doubt walk away, have a cuppa then check and double check for anything mechanical stopping rotation before stripping down the caliper/pistons

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did think this but the speed drive is the one spacer and the spacer is correct on the other side... but there is enough doubt for me to nip off and double check:rolleyes::D

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
if the brakes were ok before you removed the wheel then your problem is youve fitted the spacers wrong moveing the wheel to 1 side will cause the wheel to lock to the brakes:thumb:
hth carl

I agree re the spacers...if in doubt walk away, have a cuppa then check and double check for anything mechanical stopping rotation before stripping down the caliper/pistons
Phil mentions that the left caliper does not stop the wheel spinning so it is unlikely that the spacers are wrong, it is more likely the right hand caliper has seized

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup back from garage and spacers are correct the right calliper is off and have spun the wheel the wheel doesnt exactly rotate freely so I guess both callipers are in need of a good clean with the right side being completely gunked . Whats got me confused is with the old pads in I am able to prize them apart with 2 screwdrivers so they are virtually inside the calliper and a pump on the brake lever sees them move out??

·
Registered
494 Posts
if its moving freely then it can only be incorrect fitting

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well Im back in work tomorrow and Ive had a tit full today so Ill have another look Sunday now with fresh enthusiasm:withstupid:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Put a pipe on the bleed nipple and place the other end in jar, loosen the nipple and prise the pads apart then tighten the nipple.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorted under Cabbages fine guidance, calliper was stuck, cleaned and works a treat. Speedo drive was also fitted incorrectly, well in so far as the fact that the stop bit that hooks under the fork stop has worn to allow it to slip under it if you get what I mean

1 - 18 of 18 Posts