Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my XL500R so decided to take it down the road for a spin, applied the front brake-S**T squeeze a bit harder, apply the rear, overshoot the junction, scarey moment.

Got back home "very slowley", checked the front brake, all working ok, all clean. am I missing something obvious, it there a cheap easy improvement, can it be converted to disc, so what will fit XL600? XR600?

I'm not riding this again until it's sorted

Cheers Steveo

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
When you fitted the front wheel, and before tightening the axle bolt, did you apply the brake HARD. If not, it may be that the backplate isn't centred in the hub. loosen the front spindle. apply the front brake hard and do up the spindle again while holding the brake on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Drum brakes are SH1T.
Even four leading shoe brakes are SH1T, and the XL is only twin leading shoe!!!
My XL500R has a disc front end, I believe it to be from the XL600 of 1983...

It works!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions, will try Alan's tip in the morning as this is the cheapest and easiest, if that dont work then I'll have to start looking for a front end, does anyone know if the front end off a CR will fit?
M6ntl, did you use the 500 or 600 yokes, did it need any further modifications eg shortening the stem?

Cheers Steveo

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions, will try Alan's tip in the morning as this is the cheapest and easiest, if that dont work then I'll have to start looking for a front end, does anyone know if the front end off a CR will fit?
M6ntl, did you use the 500 or 600 yokes, did it need any further modifications eg shortening the stem?

Cheers Steveo
Soz mate, no idea, I bought the bike like that...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions guys, will the genuine honda brake shoes make a noticable difference I guess it would be nice to keep the bike original, having said that disc brakes would be better when riding "decisions decisions":confused:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yep - my recently aquired STANDARD XL500R front brake is pretty naff :(

The drum is also slightly warpped :mad:

If you think thats BAD - try scooting it backwards - down a slope - then try to stop it :mumum:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts