Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have found the cause of my warped disc.

It is not the disc, but the hub, would you believe it?!

One of the brake mounting faces has obviously beeb shunted in the past. If that was not annoying enough it itself, this mounting face was shunted away from the disc, not toward.

So my plan to just gently Dremel away the excess to even it out won't work. I'd have to Dremel all other 5 instead!!

Can I ride with one disc removed?

Otherwise, I'd have to shim it out with something hi-tech like ally foil...:rolleyes: ... Stylish!!

·
Registered
585 Posts
It's not unusual to have drums skimmed on older bikes to improve the brakes, so could you get a machine shop to mount the wheel on a lathe and face the mating surface 'minimum to clean'. The disc must mount in a perpendicular axis and hand dressing may not give a satisfactory result. If the machining does affect the running clearance in the calliper then would be the time to introduce a shim between for uniform spacing.

·
2,701 Posts
5 out of 6 bolt's ain't bad. ;)

Empty beer cans can be a very usefull source of shim material. :)

Do you know approx shim thickness you need. ?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5 out of 6 bolt's ain't bad. ;)

Empty beer cans can be a very usefull source of shim material. :)

Do you know approx shim thickness you need. ?
No idea.

I tried measuring the difference in depth at each face but it was not very conclusive.

The only way I found out was using your suggestion of removing the bolt.

When I span the wheel again it went easier meaning that the bolt was pushing the disc out of its plane.

So I may only need a couple of folds of foil...

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had a simular problem when I did the replacment of my front wheel for the dommy one, as the dommy disk bolts were seized into the hub... three out of the four bolts eventually came out, but the fourth wouldn't move at all and i ended up having to cut the bolt by running a hacksaw between the disk and hub facing. Problem was that the disk was tight to the hub so ended up taking a small layer of metal off the bolt mouting surface, which when i then mounted the disk and tightened the bolts the disk was pulled out of shape...

Anyway, to get the point... the way I solved this was to get cloth type washers which basically filled the gap (put one in that was slightly too big), and could be compressed enough so that eventually the disk ran true again... So far have covered a couple of hundred miles with this in place and had no problems with any sort of pulsing at the lever caused by the disk becoming warped.

Hope this helps...

Titch.

Ps. BTW the hub you are talking about is not the hub you got from me is it...???

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ps. BTW the hub you are talking about is not the hub you got from me is it...???

No, no!!

Yours is still sitting in my study to be spoked, as planned, to my SM rim!

This is the original hub. The warp it has caused is the reason I bought that disc from you in the first place!! Little did I know the disc was not the problem:rolleyes:

At least now I don't need any new disc for a good few miles!! ;)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
rather than shim.. put some metal putty behind it ( grease the disk and bold contact areas, so they do get stuck to the stuff and then gently tighten until you get the disc square... this stuff sets in 10 min.. and can be machined in 24hrs.. then remove next day and clen up the excess :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
No, no!!

Yours is still sitting in my study to be spoked, as planned, to my SM rim!

This is the original hub. The warp it has caused is the reason I bought that disc from you in the first place!! Little did I know the disc was not the problem:rolleyes:

At least now I don't need any new disc for a good few miles!! ;)
Thank fook for that... thought i'd sold you a duff disk at first, and then when you said it was the hub, thought that was a duff one as well.... but also thought it was strange cos never had any problems with the disk or hub on my bike before I took it off and stripped it down for you....

Like I said, I used cloth type washers on my hub to even out the spacing from the one bolt point on my hub which was out of line.... but think that Raymo's suggestion above would be a very good and more perminant fix.

Titch:thumbleft:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All sorted.

I know it's not the most elegant, but a piece of foil folded over 4 times and stuck between hub and disc has sorted it.

Braking is a smooth as you like!!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
All sorted.

I know it's not the most elegant, but a piece of foil folded over 4 times and stuck between hub and disc has sorted it.

Braking is a smooth as you like!!

if it works its a winner :thumbup:

cheap too so the perfect fix.. well done mate

1 - 10 of 10 Posts