1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
What a bunch of stupid beaurocratic arse wipes , scuze my French :cool:

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I doubt whether a bit of paint on a sign will prevent the people causing a nuisance from continuing to do so. All it will do is piss off law abiding motorcyclist. Its bad enough the authorities slapping TROs on everything without them shutting roads to motorcycles too. I'm sure it won't be long before someone will come along with a supply of Dulux Brilliant White and a roller on a stick that could sort it out ;)

As the sign only prohibits solo motorcycles, all you need is an extra wheel to turn your bike into a combination and then you'd be allowed to use the road again. They wouldn't be able to ban motorcycle combinations without banning all motor vehicles as there is no applicable legal signage.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
VillageAunties at it again.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
The behaviour of a minority at the Ace does give us all a bad name. Of course it shouldn't. But people will always notice the bad behaviour not the good.

Having said that, to ban all bikers is not the solution. I've seen plenty of wheelies and stoppies and other silly showing off at the Ace so surely they can target the individuals concerned. You cannot lock up everyone because some commit crimes.

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
I'd be surprised if the ban is legally enforcable. If they persist it should be queried in court. A couple of years ago the french FFMC had a local council decision to ban motorcycles from a tunnel quashed by the courts as discriminatory and unconstitutional.

The offending motorcyclists should then be taken away & have their 'nads connected to the national grid.:hitler:

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
If they are using a TRO, then it can be challenged.... Trouble is local authorities have effectively unlimited funding in these instances. :(

·
Registered
752 Posts
Now I think anyone that has seen a few of my posts has worked out I occasionally like an argument and this is one I think we should all jump on.

The problem is with individual motorcyclists, not all of them as we know. Their blanket ban on motorbikes on this road tars everyone with the same brush and sets precedent for this to continue and other places to follow suit.

It's a public highway and I adhere to the law on using my vehicle on a public highway, why am I now unable to use a certain road because of the actions of others and those too lazy to use my tax funds to enforce the rule of law on those that break it?

Using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut springs to mind

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Not that I agree with it one bit but the legal framework to do this must exist as there are all sorts of roads with all sorts of restrictions: bus lanes, residents only, weight/height, access only, no lorries, etc etc. Sure some are due to low or weak bridges but most are purely traffic management measures. The closure of a road to bikes, from a legal perspective is probably no different. Where's Yen when we need him. He knows this sort of stuff.

From a "doing the right thing to get the right outcome" it is completely wrong but typical of the must do something brigade whose only answer is let's create a new offence that is easier to monitor and catch people - including the otherwise innocent or simply the unwary. If you aren't local to the Ace and on a bike i can't see that sign being much help for directions and will be widely ignored as there is no apparent reason for the no motorcyles sign.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yeah not exactly helpful directions on the sign if you're trying to get to the North Circular, everything you may want to go to is down the road you aren't allowed to go down :(

Still, I'm sure the people of Harlesden will enjoy the extra traffic and lost bikers

·
Registered
694 Posts
So with this ban surely The Ace Cafe is going to suffer big time ... doesnt stop you pushing your bike to the car park thou ?

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,039 Posts
Where's Yen when we need him. He knows this sort of stuff.
Ta dadaaaaa. I'm here.

You can legally ban any sort of traffic, including human beings or even specific types of animal. You can tell them which way to turn, which way not to turn, which direction they can travel in and also how quickly, or even set a minimum speed. Whether you want to is another matter. There is a reason you have to legally advertise and publicise this sort of thing, which at the end of the day is a reduction in your right of free passage, and that is so that Joe Public has a chance to put his case.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Ta dadaaaaa. I'm here.

You can legally ban any sort of traffic, including human beings or even specific types of animal. You can tell them which way to turn, which way not to turn, which direction they can travel in and also how quickly, or even set a minimum speed. Whether you want to is another matter. There is a reason you have to legally advertise and publicise this sort of thing, which at the end of the day is a reduction in your right of free passage, and that is so that Joe Public has a chance to put his case.
So if the council has followed due process, right consultation, correct signage etc etc apart from challenging and reviewing all there's probably not a lot can be done.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
But surely there has to be a reason, legally, for a council to ban certain vehicles from certain roads. Usually HGV for weight limits etc, and that's fair enough. But to ban all motorcycles from a certain road because some are causing a nuisance can't be justified? That means I (and every other biker) is being discriminated agaisnt due to the actions of someone else?

It's like saying they are banning Subaru's from that road because some drivers of Subaru's have caused a disturbance. It's utter madness.

It would be interesting to see a case contested where a motorcyclist has gone to court to argue his case that his right of way has been blocked on a public high way due to the actions of someone he does not know and has no connection with and is now facing points and a fine due to the actions of the council erecting the new sign. I'd like to hear the councils reasons for justifying the new sign, thus the motorcyclist being brought before the court.

I just can't get my head round this.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
So if the council has followed due process, right consultation, correct signage etc etc apart from challenging and reviewing all there's probably not a lot can be done.
Democracy includes a number of other opportunities: review, petition, legal challenge, appeal to higher authority, ombudsman, writing to MPs, peaceful protest, violent protest, riot and civil disobedience, terrorism, kidnap and ransom and so on.

All good protests have a militant wing split away after the initial peaceful protest fails at the first attempt.

I report this only as an observer of past and present protests (Nelson Mandela was leader of the armed wing of the ANC, for example). I wouldn't want anyone to think I was suggesting anything....

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
So in that case who's typing up the legal declaration of war with Brent Council?
The XRV militant wing typing pool. Sounds like case for:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts