Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of changing my TDM900 for the BREVA 750.Anyone got one or owned one,what are they like?There's nothing wrong with the TDM its just that i need a lighter bike and the BREVA is 33kgs lighter,and it looks good to my old eyes.Any info will be welcome.
thanks

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
I have a V7 classic, which is an identical the same chassis and engine, just different bodywork and slightly different sized front wheel.

Anything in particular you'd like to know?

(The short version would be: buy one, you'll love it!)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have been looking at the CLASSIC as well as the BREVA,they are both pleasing to the eye.What are they like to live with,any niggles.Do you do your own maintenance?Is it economic to run?Just a owners perspective realy.
I've done 27000mls on the TDM and have done all my own maintenance,it as been cheap to run,i have considered another one but i want a lighter bike and the GUZZI seems to fit the bill.
thanks

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
i think the V7 classic is a beauty, miles better to look at than the breva. especially the greeny goldy one. i would love one as a second bike perhaps. ive not ridden either though, so my opinion is limited to looks and what i like looking at.
i think the breva has built up that deauville type reputation, of being a 'worthy' bike. undeserved by either bike probably, the deauville is a nice ride and ive no doubt the breva too, but they arent sportsbikes so get ignored by the press. modern guzzis are good, you would be happy with either, for looks its the V7, but for practicality and accessories, perhaps the breva.

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
I also have been looking at the CLASSIC as well as the BREVA,they are both pleasing to the eye.What are they like to live with,any niggles.
I haven't found anyway, but only 3000 miles so far. There was a fault with the V7 engine warning light coming on when it shouldn't, but there's an update to fix that.

A few people have reported the side stand spring going weak, and replaced it with a stronger one. A handful of reports of weeping gaskets and small oil leaks from the shaft, but that doesn't seem to be common (much less so than with BMWs, and they're supposed to be reliable!).

The small block Guzzi engine has been going for decades now, so it seems quite well sorted. It only makes 50bhp, but that's OK with the torque and throttle response you get, so long as you don't aspire to holding over 90mph for long periods.

Do you do your own maintenance?
I don't, but lots (most?) people do. Obviously it's a simple motor and everything is really accessible. It does have separate crank case and gear box oils to change, but that's hardly a big deal (plus shaft drive oil, but that's true for any shaft bike). The engine is the same in all the current 750s and similar to predecessors, so there's loads of expertise online.

The only problem with home maintenance is the electronic (software) bit. There are several approaches to take. Some people do all the mechanical maintenance themselves, and drop the bike into the dealers if they think it needs anything like the throttle position sensor reset (scheduled for each service, but apparently only needs doing every few years or so). Other people buy a software package (VDST) to do it themselves. Others joins the Guzzi owners club and find a member nearby with VDST ;)

This isn't ideal, but I think it's an inevitability with modern bikes? At least you aren't forced to use an official dealer.

If it helps, as a guide, a recent main dealer service cost me under £150! Admittedly it didn't need valves doing, but that's not exactly a huge task on a Guzzi.

Is it economic to run?
Yes. I've read credible reports of people getting 75mpg touring. About 60-65mpg seems typical. I get 50-55mpg, but that's for commutes and runs on twisty back lanes, which hardly gives the best figures! For comparison, in similar use my Speed Triple did 35-40mpg, though I could get 50mpg out of that on longer runs.

Tyre life varies depending on use, obviously. Some people say 3000 miles to a rear, others say 7000 or even 9000.

Oil is expensive, but the sump is small (2 litres). Gearbox oil isn't that pricey and you don't need a lot; shaft oil is expensive (up to £10 a litre) but you only use 170cc in it! Changes are ~5000 miles or yearly.

i have considered another [TDM] but i want a lighter bike and the GUZZI seems to fit the bill
My best advice would be to try and get a test ride one one, though obviously that's tricky as they're not so common. If you would like as lighter bike the Breva (or V7) certainly fit the bill, and they also carry the weight very low so they're really easy to handle. It is small in size too, which you may or may not like.

What I like best is the fact that though it's a small, economical bike, it doesn't feel like a soulless commuter. It's quite stiffly sprung and steers fast, and the throttle response is great, so you really feel like you're riding a proper motorcycle. The fact that this all happens at about 60mph rather than 100mph is probably for the best!

I can honestly say it is every bit as enjoyable as my Speed Triple used to be in any situation except the motorway (if you do a lot of that, fitting a screen would be a good idea, but there are plenty available from fly screens up to bug touring ones, genuine accessories or cheap aftermarket ones).

All it really fails to do, is massage my ego by looking big and butch and going stupidly fast. But that hardly matters as I'm old enough to know I'm a wuss :D

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
i think the breva has built up that deauville type reputation, of being a 'worthy' bike.
Yes, and I thought just the same, but then I got a ride on one :D

modern guzzis are good, you would be happy with either, for looks its the V7, but for practicality and accessories, perhaps the breva.
The accessories for the V7 are catching up fast; small and large screens, and Hepco & Becker panniers for tourers; nice pipes for a more "authentic" sound (though actually the stock pipes on the V7 sound fabulous). Being the sort of bike it is, there's lots of options for raising or lowering the 'bars.

You could go from anything like a mini cruiser/touring thing to a cafe racer style.

The main advantage of the Breva is they've been about for quite a few years, so there are some older ones available cheap. The build quality of any Breva will be far ahead of older 70s/80s Guzzis, but it's improved a lot further in the last few years with Piaggio in charge, so a recent bike could be worth it.

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
P.S. There is a definite risk you'll become a Guzzi bore and tell everyone why they should be riding one. But you probably figured that out already!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Icenian,thats just the type of owners report that i was looking for.
I did notice that Guzzi specify a high grade oil,i wondered why for an old design motor,but the quantity (2ltrs) explains it?
I just need to have a test ride now,my local dealer is Kickstart Motorcycle Port Talbot,i have never bought from them anyone dealt with them?If so what are they like?
thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts