Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there use BT45's on their @. I'm embarking on a trip to Europe in September through France and Spain (lots of road miles!) and have been tipped to use the dual compound BT45's. On shopping around for these there seems to be lots of variants of the same tyre. Could someone please enlighten me on the correct numbers/spec. I unerstand I need a 140 section rear and a 90 front but the rest seems to change depending on who's selling, some exact numbers would be great.
Thanks
'98 Africa Twin

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
have used them on a 600 Ta.. very pleased.. pure on road though

r

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, pure "on road" is what I'm after, prob going to cover 2000 miles on hopefully hot tarmac so grip and longevity are the order of the day. I'm hearing lots of good reports of these tyres just wish I could make sense of all the numbers, I thought there was a standard. For instance M&P have this model listed as "140/80VB17 BT45M T/L Rear Tyre" and also "140/80V17 BT45 T/L Rear". ???

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Thanks for your reply, pure "on road" is what I'm after, prob going to cover 2000 miles on hopefully hot tarmac so grip and longevity are the order of the day. I'm hearing lots of good reports of these tyres just wish I could make sense of all the numbers, I thought there was a standard. For instance M&P have this model listed as "140/80VB17 BT45M T/L Rear Tyre" and also "140/80V17 BT45 T/L Rear". ???

The Alp rear was a 130/80 17mc 65H,
just make sure the sizing is ok i.e 140/80 rear 90/90 front and the that the speed rating is fine..

my T500 Suzuki has a GPz 600 font and rear end and the GPz boys recommend the BT45 as a tyre of choice, hard wearing and good grip

You may consider the BT20, one of the guys I did the stella with in 2006 had these on a 900 Tiger and went off road too!!

r

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have just got back (last night at 11.30!) from riding from Santander to Roscoff over 2 weeks. 1800 miles on a new set of BT45's on my @.

They were fantastic! best tyres I have ever had on the @. No visible wear (except for loosing the moulding pins) and stuck to the road like glue in all weathers. We did the whole trip on N & D roads, in Spain many of these were rough and some dirt through the mountains, I never lost confidence in the tyres. Nick had to pick the stones out of the Buell tyres every night, there were hardly any in the BT45's.

I didn't do any really high speed stuff - my max speed was 93mph according to the sat nav. We crossed the pyrenees and road to the Dordogne in rain & thunder one day (8 hours to do 250 miles - no duel carriageways or motorways) and I never questioned the grip.

The maximum temperatures were in Spain & Dordogne, where it reached 24C, if anything it increased the grip.

Hope this helps.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Miss P,
Your story is exactly the sort of thing that has made me go for these tyres. I can't wait to try them!

My trip involves Roscoff to the Pyrenees for a fortnight hiking and then over into Spain and back via Santander ferry to Plymouth, your trip in reverse, minus the hiking, maybe!?!.

If you get a minute would you mind popping outside and make a note of the numbers on the Bridgestones. I'm pretty keen on getting the @ shod with these. Please HURRY! :thumbup:

Your trip sounds great, any more info on your trip would be welcome too, any recommended roads in the Pyrenees?

Thanks again

Roosta

·
Registered
168 Posts
I hope you realise I had to get out of the first comfy chair I've sat in for 2 weeks to get this info for you Roosta! :D:D

Front 90/90 21 M/C 54H
Rear 140/80 b17 MC 69V

This was more or less our route http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&h...2738,-3.045959&spn=1.059606,1.919861&z=9&om=1

and I can recommend the following roads:

N623 from Santander to Burgos
N234 from Burgos to Soria
N111 from Soria to Longaro
N240 from Pampelona to Jaca
A136 from Biescas to Pau over the Pyrenees

I will get a trip report up asap. I took over 300 photos so Ive got some sorting to do.

I would advise learning some Spanish as you will struggle in Northern Spain without it. Also let me know if you need campsite recomendations.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Miss P you're a star, I will now go ahead and order these. Very much looking forward to your trip photos and stories and getting the @ cranked over. Once again thank you for taking the trouble in getting those precious numbers to me. Interestingly these tyres do not feature in the readers poll or other tyre lists on this forum ...?

Thanks for the heads up on the route and the roads too.
Roosta

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Miss P you're a star, I will now go ahead and order these. Very much looking forward to your trip photos and stories and getting the @ cranked over. Once again thank you for taking the trouble in getting those precious numbers to me. Interestingly these tyres do not feature in the readers poll or other tyre lists on this forum ...?

Thanks for the heads up on the route and the roads too.
Roosta

they dont feature, cos they are pure road tyres, most folk go for dual purpose, but if your doing a long road trip , then a pure road tyre is a sound option.. interesting off road too:toothy7: why make it easy

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Raymo,

I see what you mean, I have dual purpose tyres fitted right now but do not have a lot of confidence in them, I do like to get a bike over! if you know what I mean. Its almost certainly all psychological. I've only had the @ a short while and looking forward to some spirited trans continental touring, maybe I'll take it off road after the BT's have worn out and I'm more used to the bike. Up 'til now its been all sports bikes and track days ... I turned 40!
Roosta

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
you can get some supprising lean angles on the dual sports, I was amased how far over I got the TA on TKC 80s, and thry are good in the wet which are very chubky, but they square off real quickk if you are on motorways for a while, the BT45s are dual compound, so wear well in the centre and have nice sticky edges, if you are doing high road miles then a road bias tyre is the best option, The RD01 XLV 750R is in enduro 4s and I am impressed with then, they are now worn, so thinking about what next.. Dual sports tyres complete the look of the bike but I have a part worn BT45 rear.. so may go that route :)

The dual sports AT /TA Tiggers et al. handle well and should give you some real fun I save your licence :)

r

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
How easy are the Bridgestones to fit yourself or take off if you have a puncture. I've been using Avon Distanzias on my RD04 but they are animals to change and with my local shop charging 25 quid per tyre for the privilege I'd prefer to do it myself.

Cheers

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I've been running Metzler Lazertecs for road use. Love them to bits in terms of stickiness but they do wear.
May have to consider these 45s next time round.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts