Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, after banging on about how great the BT45's are, I have just replaced the rear at just over 4000 miles. Badly squared and worn down to the centre "nibs". Don't get me wrong, these BT's were wonderful on my 800 Bonneville and my 900 Thunderbird; big miles and very satisfactory performance wet or dry. Riding the same roads on the 'Alp and in the same "brisk" style. Yes, I am sticking with these, so my replacement rear should give me the same confidence. It will be interesting to compare wear on this one. Plenty life left in the front and seems to be wearing more evenly. Hmmmm..... I will make my next change based on the results. I was a Production Manager for Mr Michelin for 14 years and have a deep respect for their integrity and quality, so I may go back to my old firm for tyres. Time will tell. Perhaps I just need to lean a bit a bit more on the 'Alp ! Still, the old rear was fairly buffed all round.......
'Alp now hibernates from around November until March, so it will take a while to rack up the miles. Whatever, I'll post my findings here, as and when.
Don't hold your breath! Les

·
Stone Crazy
5,316 Posts
Try Metzler Lasertecs, I have em on the TDR250 , had BT45,s before, prefer the lasertecs now

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I have my druthers, I druther stick (sic) with Michelins. Last time I had Metzelers was on an 800 boxer. Front never did inspire me with confidence and the rear wore out quite quickly. The composition and tread of the Lasertec is now rather old tech, whereas the more modern stuff is highly rated particularly in the tread wear and confidence-inspiring grip. Another case where modern stuff is so much better methinks. To each his/her own. Les

·
Registered
136 Posts
You'll find the BT45 is the tyre of choice for Airhead BMWs
But on a GS or Trannie, Tourance every time.
Choice is dictated by sizes made available by the tyre companies for each model.
I have changed rims to give a wider choice but noticed that tyre companies are always bring out new sizes limiting choice/targeting markets?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts