Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey lads and lassies, My current quest has stalled for the time being as in the dark of the early hours of the morning in the hills of Italy, a piece of steel somehow lodged itself into my rim and blowing my tyre as I was taking a bend. Im so lucky that I fell the way I did nothing worse happened.

Anyhow, I got some pics below and am after some advice as to what I should do. A small notch has been taken out of the rear rim and bent out a bit. When im ready to do it, do you think it will be ok to whack it with a hammer as best i could to get it back into shape, or should I get it done professionally due to the balancing of the wheel.

Please bare in mind Im riding from the Uk to Australia overland, and have very limited funds. Any advice as to what I should do meanwhile while my leg is up in a plaster?

http://picasaweb.google.com/martyconvey/Tyre#5461436801294728962

http://picasaweb.google.com/martyconvey/Tyre#5461436802527417202

To check out blog and story and even xrays you can follow this link if your interested.
The Heroes Journey

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Marty

Bad luck mate, but Thank God you're around to tell the tale.

My answer in short...

A good wheelright could probably rescue that rim, but you have to find one, and be confident he is good. The good news is, it shouldn't make any difference to holding pressure, as the inner tube does that job.

Realistically though, as you said, you were lucky this time, how much is your life worth to you??!!

If you were in some place where you couldn't source a new rim, I'd say repair it, but finding a whole replacement wheel, or just a rim shouldn't really be a problem in Italy

Good Luck for the road ahead

Bob :thumbup:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
I'm not saying this is the safe thing to do, especially as you are in a civilised country with access to mechanics and wheel builders, but in an emergency I would not hammer it, but rather get some pieces of flat steel, put them on both sides of the rim (so as to spread further than the damage) and use a G clamp (or maybe two) to very slowy try and ease the rim back in. You'll never get it perfect but it might do as a temporary fix. On the other hand the wheel rim might crack!

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
..and then...

Well, I decided to have a look on Italian eBay, where there are usually a few wheel sets kicking around, and of course there are now none!!

May be worth contacting the Italian Africa Twin club, or asking any Italian members on the UK forum if they can make enquiries to the Italian club on your behalf.

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
i would go with a new(second hand) rim and then relace it to your hub with or without new spokes dependiing on money and the condition of you current ones!
hope the rest of your trip goes well, i will be keeping up with your blog! :p

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
727 Posts
Id go with what yen said.... Dont want to fracture it by hitting with a hammer... A vice may be more manly though?

Good luck with it all..

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
sorry 2 hear about your extended chill-out, seems i have a Transalp front wheel on my @750 1998, just wondering if a TA rear will fit on your @. i lived in italy for 14 years and saw loads of TA's, pity they don't have many breakers there, seen afew on ebay, theres a buy-it-now from a 650 for 60euros with 15euro postage, sprocket, no disc, tyres worn-out, but seems good value. Sure someone will know if it fits. Good luck & divertiti!

·
Registered
256 Posts
sorry 2 hear about your extended chill-out, seems i have a Transalp front wheel on my @750 1998, just wondering if a TA rear will fit on your @. i lived in italy for 14 years and saw loads of TA's, pity they don't have many breakers there, seen afew on ebay, theres a buy-it-now from a 650 for 60euros with 15euro postage, sprocket, no disc, tyres worn-out, but seems good value. Sure someone will know if it fits. Good luck & divertiti!
I was told when looking for wheels for my TA that 'Yes' AT wheels will fit my Alp, so should be the same the other way around....

Sorry to hear about your off, and hope things get better soon, and your back on the bike again...

Shame it's not your front wheel thats knackered, as I currently have a spare front rim from my TA that I could have supplied to you...

If you can find TA wheels then go for it, but I'd say don't just stick to the Italian Ebay, as most of the european ones will post to most places...

Bit expensive... but on the German Ebay:
Hinterrad Felge hinten Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin, 90-92 bei eBay.de: Markenspezifische Teile (endet 17.05.10 16:57:38 MESZ)
Honda Africa Twin XRV 750 RD04 Felge hinten + Reifen bei eBay.de: Krafträder Reifen Felgen (endet 07.05.10 14:05:09 MESZ)

Good luck with your travels, and hope it goes a bit smoother for you when you get going again.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
ebay italia
transalp ruota(wheel) buy it now.
No 280481742740 TA 650 euro 60+15p&p Genova,
No 200439856364 TA 600 euro 70+10p&P Napoli,
There are several others.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a lot for the replies and support, apart from the notch and a small amount of corrosion, im still trying to weigh up weather its worth buying a second hand rim or getting it repaired for 65 euros.

So all transalp rims effectively fit the same as the AT rims? Is that right?
This Transalp 600 rear rim no. 200439856364 on italy ebay seems to be the cheapest so far, so for 15 euros more is it worth it to take the chance that all components are going to fit smoothly together.

After no pain killers the bones are doing their thing, Im feeling it heal and getting the maps out and inspiration to continue this crazy adventure.

Cheers to all.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Thanks a lot for the replies and support, apart from the notch and a small amount of corrosion, im still trying to weigh up weather its worth buying a second hand rim or getting it repaired for 65 euros.

So all transalp rims effectively fit the same as the AT rims? Is that right?
This Transalp 600 rear rim no. 200439856364 on italy ebay seems to be the cheapest so far, so for 15 euros more is it worth it to take the chance that all components are going to fit smoothly together.

After no pain killers the bones are doing their thing, Im feeling it heal and getting the maps out and inspiration to continue this crazy adventure.

Cheers to all.

The rims are likely to be the same, the hub assembly is most likely not. (that would mean you'd have to get the secondhand rim laced/spoked onto your existing hub, and that may be a sightmore than euro65)

For 65 euros I'd get it repaired and trued, with spokes checked on the original, as there's a slight chance they might need tweaking after a whack like that.

Just checked the item number on ebay.it, and although it looks like it could fit, it's impossible to see whether it has a drum brake rear.

Bob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The rims are likely to be the same, the hub assembly is most likely not. (that would mean you'd have to get the secondhand rim laced/spoked onto your existing hub, and that may be a sightmore than euro65)

For 65 euros I'd get it repaired and trued, with spokes checked on the original, as there's a slight chance they might need tweaking after a whack like that.

Bob
Cheers Bob, I might go with the repair then, my intuition is telling me also. What do you mean by "Trued"? Is it to do with the balancing and the spokes doing their thing?

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
..What do you mean by "Trued"? Is it to do with the balancing and the spokes doing their thing?
By "trued" I mean.

In laymans terms, All the spokes should be roughly the same tension, and the hub centred or slightly offset to the rim equally all the way round. Also, as well as the dent, the rim COULD be slightly egg shaped now, so some spokes may be slacker than others.

If you can spin the wheel and ping the spokes with a pencil they should all be making the same sound.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By "trued" I mean.

In laymans terms, All the spokes should be roughly the same tension, and the hub centred or slightly offset to the rim equally all the way round. Also, as well as the dent, the rim COULD be slightly egg shaped now, so some spokes may be slacker than others.

If you can spin the wheel and ping the spokes with a pencil they should all be making the same sound.

Fantastic, cheers Bob, clear and simple, i got it. :thumbup:

·
2,701 Posts
Rim size's

TA600 2.50 x17

RD04 2.75 x 17

RD07 3.00 x 17

All 32 spoke.

Not sure about TA650 rim but from tyre size i guess same as TA600.

Many big trailies have 17 inch rears (tenere etc) main problem is finding 17 with 32 spoke holes ( most have 36 spoke holes).

Guess you have some time to look for replacement while you wait for the foot to heal.

As said, contact with Italian AT club may find a wheel.

Heal well and good luck on the trip. :thumbright:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Marty,

Assuming the broken foot is yours, you're not in an immediate rush.

Jonathan (stormforce8) and Annette know the Italian club well. They may be able to help. Email me with where you are and I'll get in touch and see what can be done.

That looks like the rear wheel. Am I right?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
If you heat the rim up with a blow torch and gently but firmly hammer the bump back useing a block of wood as a drift you should be ok.
Ally has strange elastic properties when warmed up not like steel, ally has a memory of a sort and would like to go back to the original shape,all it would take is a little heat and firm persuasion.
A good firm clout would put it back but lots of little bangs would stress and shatter it (a firm bang made it that way) with heat a firm bang will put it back.
It,s up to you when push comes to shove :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts