Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I had BT45's fitted 500 miles ago because "its what plod use", and now I have a strange low speed head shake - the bars go from side to side. Its really weird.

I have looked at the tyres and can only conclude that it is the tread on the front tyre that causes it. The centre grove that runs the circumference of the tyre is not straight but kind of zig zag. It seems to be the cause.

Anyone else had this problem? Or any other ideas?

Any opinions on these tyres?

Thanks.

·
Good Moaning
525 Posts
Dickster said:
Anyone else had this problem?
Yeah, on Tourances, at about 8000kms I started getting a headshake when letting go of the handlebars at about 80 or 70kmh, not revealing themselves at about 50kmh. It felt stable when with just one finger touching the handlebars though.
Then, about 1000km after the bike doesn´t do that anymore, however, I do feel something when cornering on the wet.

·
Registered
443 Posts
No experience with those tyres, but have you checked your head bearings are OK?

Also, have you tried experimenting with tyre pressures a bit? Sometimes different tyres seem to work better at slightly different pressures to others.

HTH :)

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
yep with loose crash bars!!!! :shock: tourances do this which is made worse by having luggage fitted (even when empty)

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Yeah, sounds more like tyre pressures, head bearings or wheel balance than the tyres. Adjustment of the headbearings sometimes is required for some tyres, and fiddling around with tyre pressures can help too. Changing the tyres can highlight problems you didn't even know where there, and BT45s are road tyres totally different from the tyres in mind when the machine was designed. Still, I would have thought proper road tyres would be more stable, not less! At 500 miles the tyres are only just run in though; I've had similar experiences with Trailwings and others up to around the 2000 mile mark, but perhaps not quite as bad as you describe.

Stig

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys and sorry i missed them last night!

I have had experience of worn wheel bearings and you tend to get wandering, which I'm not getting?

I left home at 6am this morning (BBBBRRRRR!!!!) and the problem is definitely worse at the start of a ride - when tyres are cold? This may point to tyre pressures then.

It only does it at walking pace 5 mph, so I'm thinking its nothing serious!

Any guesses on what I should try with tyre pressures?

Thanks again.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,037 Posts
Dickster said:
Thanks for the replies guys and sorry i missed them last night!

I have had experience of worn wheel bearings and you tend to get wandering, which I'm not getting?

I left home at 6am this morning (BBBBRRRRR!!!!) and the problem is definitely worse at the start of a ride - when tyres are cold? This may point to tyre pressures then.

It only does it at walking pace 5 mph, so I'm thinking its nothing serious!

Any guesses on what I should try with tyre pressures?

Thanks again.
31psi in the front and 30psi in the back and tell me how it feels.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I will.

·
0 Posts
Dickster said:
Thanks, I will.
How you finding the tires in general. When i replace mine its a toss up between the bt45's, anakee, and the trail max 607. Not got much intention of going off road with the alp.

Paul

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Paul,

I was amazed at the turn in on them at first, they just drop straight into the turn with little effort. So little in fact that to start with I was constantly turning too much and having to correct. My previous set were knackered so maybe lost their cornering potential!

Grip seems great in all conditions - and its below freezing when I leave in the mornings!

I guess I have reservations because its a pure road tyre. I tried to curb it the other night to get round traffic and nearly came off because they didn't like it - they lost grip going up the kerb at an angle. My previous tyres would have been unflustered.

I also got 10k miles out of previous tyres which is enough isn't it? I'll have to dig the invoice out to find out what they were but they had more chunky deep tread.

If it snows i'll wish a hadn't gone for the BT45's.

Would I buy them again? Probably not. I'll go back to the previous set. I'll let you know what they were.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know.

I checked the direction markers, and tried changing pressures - they were 27psi in the front and i tried 30 with no change.

The whole front seems to wobble at low speed, but as soon as you increase speed it stops.

One other thing I noticed recently (maybe related) is that if i let go of the bars at 40ish they start slapping, is that normal??

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,037 Posts
Dickster said:
I don't know.

I checked the direction markers, and tried changing pressures - they were 27psi in the front and i tried 30 with no change.

The whole front seems to wobble at low speed, but as soon as you increase speed it stops.

One other thing I noticed recently (maybe related) is that if i let go of the bars at 40ish they start slapping, is that normal??
It's normal if you've got a lot of weight on the back seat or rack as it lightens the front.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah, I have a new Givi 46 litre top box permanently out back now - that would be the culprit?

How do I compensate? Adjust the rear preload?

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Dickster said:
Ah, I have a new Givi 46 litre top box permanently out back now - that would be the culprit?

How do I compensate?

Drill a 12" diameter hole in the front and back of the top box to allow air to flow through it better. :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Dickster,

I haven't had those tires, but I think I know what you're talking about. I've been running the 'Stones TW42 for the past 20k miles (1 front and 2 rears) and loved them, but time for something different (Tourances, I'll report on those later). My 'tankslapper' would come in between 20-40 mph with no hands on the bars, but one finger could cancel that. Anyway, in taking the front wheel off, I pulled forward on the fork to check for play and discovered the head bearings were loose. Big time. So now I'm replacing the bearings.

I got the bike with 22k ($1500 in '93) and found the bike had a higher speed oscillation in the bars. Culprit was loose head bearings. It was caught early enough that the bearings didn't have to be replaced then. I've got a Givi 46l trunk on the bike, but it didn't matter (on my bike) if it was on or off.

So basically, you may want to check the bike's head bearings.

Just my few dollars...(in bearings)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
stoo said:
Dickster said:

How do I compensate?

Drill a 12" diameter hole in the front and back of the top box to allow air to flow through it better. :lol:
LOL, what d'ya mean? It helps keep the back end down at high speed :wink:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Scott,

Cheers for that. Mine is the same, put a hand back on and it stops.

I'll get the bearings checked out, thanks.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
24ftlb said:
Dickster said:
Thanks, I will.
How you finding the tires in general. When i replace mine its a toss up between the bt45's, anakee, and the trail max 607. Not got much intention of going off road with the alp.

Paul
I have to say having done over 1k miles on them now they are pretty faultless on all road conditions. i have had no scary moments with them even in the wet. i think it would be fairly easy to get pegs down in the summer! very confidence inspiring.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts