Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Barking. Totally.
131 Posts
Sad sad day.

I owned a new XB12S and loved it. I'd recommend one but have a good long ride first as they're truly quirky.

RIP.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Cant say I'm that bothered. Although they were nice looking bikes, they only catered for the vertically challenged. So even if I could ride one comfortably.
It would still look like I was riding A monkey bike.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Very sad,my thoughts go out to the employees,more victims of the greedy bankers(also rhyming slang if you like).Different outcome in better times.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Sad hopefully someone will take up the Buell mantel as it is a fantastic bike to ride its totally Bonkers :D:D

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
Sorry to hear that - always thought I'd get round to owning one for a while; still fancy having an X1 Lightning in the garage.

P.S. how could you not not fall for one of these ? (without knowing about reliability issues!)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It is a shame.
Wether you liked them or hated them, the fact that another bike manufacturer has had to close its doors is a real kick in the nether regions.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Maybe its just as well.
I owned a tube frame Cyclone,great to ride if you didnt get stuck in traffic,probably the most exilerating bike that I have ridden,shorter than a cbr 600, 87 ft/lb torque at 4500 rpm,and only weighed 200kg,and a fantastic exhaust note.
But as a maintenace engineer,I just couldnt understand the basic bad bits of engineering,like hanging the very vibey engine from the head steady mountings,and that bloody belt drive,works fine on a 70 bhp sportster,not so good on a 90 odd bhp buell,plus the gearbox sprocket is so far away from the swinging arm pivot ,that the belt has to have 2" of play to stop it totaling the gearbox output bearing ( don't even want to start on that weird design )
So maybe it's no big deal if an other great to ride ,crap to maintain bike goes out of production.

Lee

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
So maybe it's no big deal if an other great to ride, crap to maintain bike goes out of production.

Lee
Did you ever decide whether to replace yours with an Alp, Lee? If not, have you thought of a Triumph Tiger? More oomph, and though not quite as reliable as an Alp, it shouldn't pose any problems for a skilled engineer.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes, I got a 96 TA about 3 months ago_Once I got used to the lower power,I began to enjoy plodding about ( best term for AT ) .Although I miss the exileration of the Buell, I don't miss the vibration and constant cost of replacement parts.
The worst bit of the AT, is the weight,combined with a high seat and short legs,although the buell was tall,it wasn't top heavy.
On the whole I like the AT,and find any excuse to ride it.
Lee

·
Registered
103 Posts
New to the forum and I own one of the last Buells brought into Australia (from Brasil where Harley have an "offshore" factory). It's a 2009 XB12X Ulysses that I bought new in September 2010 and it goes like stink. The only problems I've had are a broken drive belt (at about 13300km) and failed rearwheel bearing (at about 13700km).
Eric Buell Racing are now producing an 1190cc Vtwin (Rotax sourced I think) as of some time in 2011 for sale to the public from what I've read.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts