Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a ride around Surrey today ,ploding around 40-50-60mph no problem there was a breeze but not overly so.
Anyway I looked at the clock and found I had been out to long (whoops)
so I headed for the motorway (shock horror), got up to 70mph and it started wind pushing me around ,making the Vara weave a little it did'nt feel very safe but hey I soldiered on ,took it up to 80mph hoping to break through it but no chance .
Question ; do all Vara,s suffer this way ,could the front wheel need balancing ? it's not the bearings cos I have had that problem before on another bike and would recognise it .
The screen was put at it's highest yesterday to try and rectify the buffeting but no go on that one .
Any comments (sensible ones that is , as I know you guys tooo well)
would be appreciated cos I don't know what to do to make crusing more comfortable.
Cheers Paul

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I went for a ride around Surrey today ,ploding around 40-50-60mph no problem there was a breeze but not overly so.
Anyway I looked at the clock and found I had been out to long (whoops)
so I headed for the motorway (shock horror), got up to 70mph and it started wind pushing me around ,making the Vara weave a little it did'nt feel very safe but hey I soldiered on ,took it up to 80mph hoping to break through it but no chance .
Question ; do all Vara,s suffer this way ,could the front wheel need balancing ? it's not the bearings cos I have had that problem before on another bike and would recognise it .
The screen was put at it's highest yesterday to try and rectify the buffeting but no go on that one .
Any comments (sensible ones that is , as I know you guys tooo well)
would be appreciated cos I don't know what to do to make crusing more comfortable.
Cheers Paul

Mine doesn't get anything like that i get a bit of buffeting and wind noise hitting me around the head, but noticed this week when i put my HJC helmet on it isn't as bad as my Shoei, i'm going to fit an mra vario screen by the end of the summer and see if that makes it any better. Don't know why i've decided to change screens all of a sudden it hasn't bother me for the last few years and it's always been there

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nasty, do you have a top box, panniers fitted? These can sometimes build up a cushion of air at certain speeds that has to slosh over somewhere when it gets to unstable, causing the buffeting effect.

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Only had this in 'dirty air' on the motorway with the full luggage on it and the standard screen (on a 99)
I changed the screen to a taller one and removed the panniers (still have top box) and haven't experienced it since then.

Gary

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
Only had this in 'dirty air' on the motorway with the full luggage on it and the standard screen (on a 99)
I changed the screen to a taller one and removed the panniers (still have top box) and haven't experienced it since then.

Gary
what do you mean by 'dirty air'?

had my vara last week at a steady 90(on the autobahn of course :D, no actully, just been to lake bled, Slovinia :p) full panniers, top box and pillion felt firm and planted all the time.

just had new head bearings, and tourance rear tyre and the bike is feeling good!

Maybe it was just a 'gusty' rather then 'windy' day as i can find strong gusts really powerfull at any speed and do make the bike unstable.

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
what do you mean by 'dirty air'?

had my vara last week at a steady 90(on the autobahn of course :D, no actully, just been to lake bled, Slovinia :p) full panniers, top box and pillion felt firm and planted all the time.

just had new head bearings, and tourance rear tyre and the bike is feeling good!

Maybe it was just a 'gusty' rather then 'windy' day as i can find strong gusts really powerfull at any speed and do make the bike unstable.
Dirty air meaning close'ish' to another vehicle - in this case I was in lane three and there was too lorries in lane one and two.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No box or panniers on at the time (i'm thinking it could be wheel balancing needed)
I only ever rode naked bikes before this one :rolleyes:

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
my varadero weaves a little bit around 80-90 but it stops past that (ahem....)
i have the standard screen on high position and a topbox always fitted.

i assumed it was the larger diameter front wheel with narrow tyre and off road frame geometry, because my XT600E does exactly the same thing.

it never feels out of control, just one of those things

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Dunno, the Mighty Varadero VA9 trundles along at all speeds, 30 to twice the UK limit and never gives me a moments issue. I have an annoying wobble on dipped throttle since my last set of Anakees and I believe the rear tyre is the problem as it needed a lot of lead to balance it out. If the next set is as bad they'll be replaced!
Might be a tyre problem but maybe just a cross wind you didn't notice?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
You do not say which motorway but it is possible a combination of tyre pressures and cross winds.

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
I would have said topbox straight away but you have dismissed that,
so not teaching you to suck eggs, your tyres are good and the pressures are up, that leaves a few things left.
My guess would be your rear shock is too soft, it takes a few seconds to crank it up, you can even carefully adjust it on the move.
I cant remember the standard factory settings but they are well out for speed and topboxes. I get a frightening weave at 180Kmh with a Givi 50lt topbox regardless of what's in it
try that first if you've no joy then start looking further like head bearings.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Crosswinds pose the only problem, and then not in all conditions. Normally the bike leans into the wind all on its own, provided you have relaxed arms and shoulders. Problem comes in gusty conditions. Strangely (to me) the wind seems to be pushing the bike out from under you, rather than pushing the top of the bike/rider over. In wet conditions this is worrying since it feels like you're losing grip.
Head/tail winds no problem. No weaving even loaded at 'autobahn speeds':rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
It could be a combination of both wind and wheel balance, I'll try it without the screen on first to rule that out ,the back tyre needs replacing soon so i'll get the balance checked on the front at the same time and see if that was it . I am certain it's not the head bearing as i've had that one before ,But I wont rule that out either as the bikes only done 14000 miles so it would be rather unlikeky.
Thanks for you answers guys much appreciated:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an after thought ; i'm going to try and stick some old video tape around the cockpit area just to see what happens with the wind (wind tunnel effect indicators).:rolleyes:
I'll keep you posted on any results :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I've never heard of the Vara weaving except when it was caused by a large topbox, and even then only in specific circumstances.

If the cross wind was gusty that would cause you to lean a bit more, lean a bit less, lean a bit more... but not a regular weave.

You keep mentioning wheel balance. Whenever I've had wheels out of balance the effect has been vibration that varies with the speed of wheel rotation, i.e. at 70 mph that will be very fast vibration not a weave. I'd suspect loose or worn steering head, swing arm or wheel bearings. 17,000 is a little early for such things but not impossible. The steering head bearing on mine had to be replaced at about 30,000 careful miles.

BTW, the standard screen isn't great for buffeting; I cut one down very low and it helps. I have an MRA Vario on order because lots of people have given good reports on that.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok up-date
Crash hat is most of the problem ,shaking me ed and sending the shake down to me shoulders and then me ands.
Rear shock:thumbup:was on the lightest setting ,tightened that up a we bit and sorted the high speed weave.
All I got to do now is get a better titfer ,not a flip front ,I'll just use the flip front for bimbles and new fixed full face for long hauls:cool:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I have Five Crash helmets here and only two of them get used.
One is an old style Shoei and the other is a Shoei raid.
I do have a Bell but that is for when the Shoei wears out.
I hav a HRC helmet that I no longer use and a cheap Takachi helmet never been opened. The Shoei and the bell are the only "quiet" helmets that fit my head.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
Crosswinds pose the only problem, and then not in all conditions. Normally the bike leans into the wind all on its own, provided you have relaxed arms and shoulders. Problem comes in gusty conditions. Strangely (to me) the wind seems to be pushing the bike out from under you, rather than pushing the top of the bike/rider over. In wet conditions this is worrying since it feels like you're losing grip.
Head/tail winds no problem. No weaving even loaded at 'autobahn speeds':rolleyes:
if you want a crosswind try the pont du normandie over the seine just outside le havre, loaded bike, son on back, 100' off the deck and the wind has the whole channel to build up some speed before it hits you side on.
your quite right, the bike does lean by itself, and from the bottom, but stays going in a perfect straight line, weird:confused:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts