Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speedo died on my way to work this morning, actually saw it go! Whats the chances of that?! I`ve done some searches and read about the weak link of the plastic gear but when I detached the cable and checked the little gearbox it seems to be fine. The little output shaft rotates about 90deg but then has a good, firm stop. I turned the end of the cable with a small screwdriver and I can hear it scraping inside up by the mudguard, so I think the cable itself has gone.
What sort of price is a genuine Honda one? I`ve found these guys online and they seem cheap, anyone got any experience of them?
I`ll go genuine if Honda price is sensible (Ha ha!) cos I know it can be false economy going with a cheap alternative on stuff like this.

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
What sort of price is a genuine Honda one? I`ve found these guys online and they seem cheap, anyone got any experience of them?
I`ll go genuine if Honda price is sensible (Ha ha!) cos I know it can be false economy going with a cheap alternative on stuff like this.
McFly - I know it's in Euro's, but this official Honda site (offers English language) will give you a current price for OEM parts - just enter your VIN number and it'll show you all the Honda @ fiches for your particular model with prices.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Top site! Genuine cable seems pretty resonably, Honda part it is.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Had my speedo die on me last year, turned out to be the circular nylon drive gear in the speedo unit on the front wheel. The teeth wore out and there was nothing to transmit the drive to the metal worm gear and then onto the cable.
It's worth popping out the nylon gear to check for wear and at the same time giving the drive box a thorough wash out.
Nylon part is around £16 from Lings.

·
ignore the vain
943 Posts
I usually find if the nylon cog is going the speedo tends to flutter for a while1st. On my 3rd one in 4 years so now have a spare cable and cog at home for the inevitable:blah5:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pulled the cable off tonight, definately the cable, the inner is in two pieces! Think I`ll take the advice to check and re-grease the little gearbox while I`m at it tho.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts