Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other threads have prompted me to get a hardbacked book that I can record things I go to the bike in. You now, fitting crash bars, scottoiler and the new chain etc.

I'm curious as to how others have done this, columns for date, mileage, action and the like, or just a page for each bit of work. What information do youlog when you do some work?

Curious....

·
Registered
443 Posts
On my XR I do mine on an excel spreadsheet

Just a list of date, milage, and what's done. I've got separate columns for oil change, oil filter change and air filter cleaning, and then another for "everything else".

Haven't set one up for the TA yet as I've still not even ridden it. :oops: I suspect it'll be much the same though, although without separate columns for oil change and oil filter change. (I do oil changes every 300 miles on the XR, and so don't change the filter every time)

HTH. :)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
you bunch of nurds

8)

ok ok I have spead sheet that I listed and prioritiesd all the stuff that I could do to the alp and a budget ( the Project manager in me)

@king ebay bought loads o stuff ( the biker in me)

its not a bad idea as you tend to think you are spending loads.. and when you check its fine..... I have overspent by the price of a good piss up.. but dont drink when on the bike so it balances out

( I used to just log it in the haynes manual for the vehicle)

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
raymo said:
you bunch of nurds

8)

ok ok I have spead sheet that I listed and prioritiesd all the stuff that I could do to the alp and a budget ( the Project manager in me)
Now that is seriously nerdish.. So do you have a column for bought in labour and earned value?

·
Frodo's Half brother
1,215 Posts
fewtrees said:
raymo said:
you bunch of nurds

8)

Now that is seriously nerdish.. So do you have a column for bought in labour and earned value?
I bet he uses some sort of project management tool on his pc too! :D Come on admit it - you get all panicy as the time lines show you're approaching another milestone! :shock:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
I have a grubby blue lever arch file with loads of preprinted sheets made on autocad, cos I couldn't work any other programme at the time. Then I use a biro to fill it in. Columns from left to right are, date, mileage, whatever I did to it, how much it cost.

I now have trouble remembering to write a 1 in front of the mileage showing on the clock. However, the one thing that stands out when I look back, is how much the price of my tyres has gone up and down from the same shop (mostly up).

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
We could add this as a feature to the site.....
a place to log your services, mileage, cost, etc.... against your reg no.
Only you would be able to see it, and you could print it out at anytime. We could also make it downloadable for backup purposes.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like a great idea!

Could you make it downloadable too? Something that could easily be transferred to a spreadsheet for example?

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Cie said:
Sounds like a great idea!

Could you make it downloadable too? Something that could easily be transferred to a spreadsheet for example?
Yep I think so.... not done that before but I'm sure its doable.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Initially I thought Yeah Cool (tie it to the bike and it becomes transferable..) but then... Sorry to be a poo pooer but - not convinced. Sounds like technology for technologies sake!

What is the benefit? Just use a book or create a word or excel template.. Keep the invoices with the "sheets of paper".. ;-)

Why not have xrv.org.uk log books printed instead?

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
I store everything in my mind :lol:

Well my theory is the by the time I sell the bike it will be in such a state that the new owner would not really care whether or not there is a logbook or not. Having said that is if I ever sell it 8)

I know it's very desireble with the "unique" screen etc but just can't see it going.

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
I use an increasingly oily sheet of paper that lives in the back of the Haynes manual.

Usually I write down what I've done, when and the mileage, sometimes I forget. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I just pile everything in an old Doc Marten's shoe box. It's a mess. That way my wife will never add up all the bills and realise I seriously overspent the agreed budget.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts