Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, in a manner of speaking!

Washing the bike the other day I noticed that there was a split in the front rim next to one of the spoke holes, the rim looked a bit crappy when I bought the bike and changing both of the rims was always one of the things that I was planning on doing but I was thinking of doing this after the summer rather than doing it before the MOT in April.
Anyway, it's a bit earlier than planned but hey ho. Question is, what colour should I go for? What I had originally thought of getting was a gold Excel rim with the hub powder coated in black and a nice set of stainless spokes but those black excel rims look ace tho I'm not sure that a black hub would go with the rim or just be too much black.

Anyone have a view on this? Also, does anyone know if coloured nipples are available in Brass, I know that coloured alloy ones are available but I don't trust alloy nips after seeing so many break on bicycle wheels after a bit of salt has found its way in...

Tia

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
Gold rim, polished stainless spokes and black hub looks excellent. I just picked one of those up from a local wheel builder on Saturday. I also have a pair of wheels with black rims and hubs, and they're nice but not as good as the gold rimmed ones. (This is a RWB bike.)

I was recommended a Morad rim, as the european alloy is more resistant to corrosion than Japanese/far eastern alloys. This advice came from a man who's been building wheels since about when they were invented. My experience with two DIDs (sh*t), one Takasago (nearly as sh*t) and one Morad (great, so far) bears this out. Jury's out on the SM Pro rim, doesn't look good but I won't know till I have the tyre off. My priority is corrosion resistance, not strength, though; I think most people would say an Excel will stand up to off road sue better than a Morad?

A rear fitting for an RD07 (3.5" 32 spoke) is a pain, though. Central Wheel will drill a Morad blank and get it hard anodized for you. I think it cost me just over 100 GBP.

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Rim colour is totally personal in my book, go with what works for you and enjoy the result.

I fitted a pair of Excel Rims to a 650 AT last year with powder coated hubs in black and stainless steel spokes and loved the results.

32 spoke rears are not common but Rugged Roads can supply the Excel version as well as the 21" front.

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are right icenian gold with SS and black hub does look good but I remember seeing some wheels possibly on here that had the rims in black and I thought that they looked stunning but I'm damned if I can find the pictures now that I need them...

I've spoken to Ritosxf who was very helpful and he did mention the Morad rims but only on price and not quality but I really don't think that the quality of the Excel rims is in doubt and I reckon that it will be the Excel rims that will be fitted to the bike.

dwdufour, You ought to have a chat with Ritosfx, he can anodize the Morad rims in any colour you want, he just gets a silver one in and anodizes as required, I was going to go with him myself but I've had a rethink and will be buying the rim from my local bike shop only because I'm trying to put some business his way rather than spending it on the internet, I will then be having the wheel built by Bruce Rushton who is a well known local chap (in motorbike circles)that has been building for years, in fact he built a set of stabilisers for my 2 year old son's QR50 (he's now 24) and at the Manchester bike show yesterday I was speaking to the chap from Tinman powder coating which is located just a few miles away in Stacksteads and I'll most likely be having the hub powder coated by him so that is all fairly local which is nice.

Thunder, I was kinda hoping that you'd comment on this only because of the rebuilds you have done and the lengths that you have gone to to get the stunning bikes that you have and if anyone could give a considered comment it'd be you! but you are right beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

As things stand right now I'm awaiting a definite yes or no from my LBS on whether he can get the rim because I know that Bruce has had some difficulty getting hold of Excel rims himself.

Anyone seen coloured brass nipples?

·
its just a ride!
135 Posts
bet they werent as rough as this... (Rear DID).

2806.jpg 2805.jpg

Had it replaced with a morad rim built by Talon in Somerset. Felt much safer to ride after it was fitted!
Good luck with the new rims – never seen brass nipples – but have enjoyed looking it up on the interweb over lunch! ;)

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bet they werent as rough as this... (Rear DID).

View attachment 17464 View attachment 17465

Had it replaced with a morad rim built by Talon in Somerset. Felt much safer to ride after it was fitted!
Good luck with the new rims – never seen brass nipples – but have enjoyed looking it up on the interweb over lunch! ;)
Nope it 's defo not that bad, you most likely have seen brass nips but didn't know it because they are generally chrome plated.

Them rims were a nice colour though

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I've had my hub powder coated and bult into an Excell rim with Stainless spokes and it looks great, Thing is that I've opened Pandora's box, I want to get the rear done ASAP to match the front now Pandora.jpg

I've put 1oz of them there ceramic beads into the inner tube so that I don't have to stick balance weights on the rim so I'll be interested in seeing how they work and ditto for the Heideneau K60 Scout (especially while it's temporarally teamed up with a Michelin Anakee on the rear)

Anyone got a rear hub for an RD07a for sale? I could then have it powder coated and built up and the bike wouldn't be off the road at all...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts