Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday morning...

Off I go to collect my bike from the local shop, that was supposed to have done the head race bearings. They hadnt done the job.. Bearing on back order. The bearings are not bad by any means. Get back home and start loading bike up. Then the delays start.....
The new carpet arrives, complete with carpet fitters....Phone my mate Paul. Running late mate, meet you half an hr later than planned. More delays and more calls to paul, phil chris.

Eventually get away, meet up with paul at ferry bridge services, to find he is not a happy bunny. Why, well if id been able to tell him at the first call just how late I was running, his lady friend was gonna sort him out, instead of him being sat on a draughty services waiting and waiting. He does have a point.
After making my apologises we head off up the a1. After the a19 turn off paul comes past, then pulls into a layby. Whats up? Paul takes his helmet off looking wide eyed.

He had gone for the brakes on the bandit to find no lever :shock: So after his brief scare he was looking under the handlebars thinking the lever had slid round. No it hadnt, it was somewhere on the a1.... :D Paul had a spare clutch lever but no spare brake lever. You can imagine just how sypathetic I was... Comments like, I ride behind you....:lol:

Ok head for darlington. Call phil. Tells me where hein gerike is. Straight to it. And they have a brake lever to fit the bandit.

Paul fits the brake lever and then we head back to scotch corner, paul fills up with petrol and then onto the a66 first layby for snap. Its at this point paul begins to realise this 4 day outings going to be EXPENSIVE. The bandit is obviously not running properly having used 15 quid of petrol in 110 mile mile. WOW. We have a break and then head over to keswick, phil running about an hr behind us and chris already up nr burrowdale.
Fill up at keswick, and then onto buttermere.
Meet chris for the first time (maddog) Get the tents pitched.... We both explain the days events to chris, and then phil arives. After phils sorted we have a bite to eat and retire to the pub :p To escape the loopy farm dog that wont leave us alone.

At the pub everyone starts to get to know chris. He is english but lives in namibia. He shares his stories with us over a pint or 2.

Next morning breakfast, the suns out
and off out we go, taking in sellafield visitors

From there take in wast water.

From there we head back to keswick. Both Chris and myself are nearly taken out by a volvo estate... Get some shopping in, split it between the top boxes and head back to the camp site. :arrow:
On the way back to the site there is a lip / humpback bridge in borrowdale-derwent water. I get some serious air with the TA at 75mph, like everyone. 8) Over honister pass and once again the ta is getting a tousing and the dunlops are gripping like limpits even on the ridged and damaged tarmac

When we get back I discover Paul had bought some eggs :shock: Omlettes and eggy bread anyone :D
We all have a bite to eat, chris shares his wine and coke. A portugese drink, and to be fair, probably the best thing you can do to red wine other than cook with it. Add coke.

Now no xrv outing would be complete, wth out the xrv field bike stripdown. The bandit was running like a bag of spanners, sounded like a bag of spanners and black smoking to boot. Step forward the modmeister of xrv fame, the hands on mechanic phil.....Step forward please.....

Note the reg on chris's bike

Darkness falls....

We, sorry they phil, paul and chris get the bike back together, nothing we can do. Running mega rich, but the chokes are not sticking on. We retire to the pub. Chris shares more stories with us of his travels. Im not worthy.... Chris regularly does what we dream of doing. Travelling various countries.
We turn in for the night.

Breakfast and off we go again this time taking in hardknott pass, wynrose pass and kirkstone pass. Im having a ball, riding the ta like a crosser, giving it a real tousing, again the dunlops giving me every confidence. Boy phil can ride though. Luke warmpursuit springs to mind.
Its at this point paul shows us his riding skills... The bandit is black smoking as we tackle hardknott, engine dying, he is slipping the clutch to get the revs up and of course its rearing its head at every opportunity. But this on a 1 in 3 on ridged tarmac that every 10 or 15 yards you meet a hairpin turn, made it very entertaining..... :D The best impression ive seen of a bandit unicycle.

We get over wynose pass and stop again to let pauls bike cool down.

over kirkstone and head back towards keswick.

We head back to keswick, more food etc and then back to the site. My workmate neil turns up with his girlfriend on the fjr1300 and have some snap.

Im struggleing to grasp, how neils packed the bike. 2 up, a 6 MAN TENT, sleeping bags......WTF!!!!!! no luggage roll, no tank bag and the tents huge. He can park the fjr in the awning...
We end up in the pub, later after chris had very kindly shared his photo's with us. RESPECT.........Truly spectacular.
Bout 3am I wake up, needing a whizz. Well its cold outside and the toilet block is at the top of the field so, step out and pee in the ferns behind my tent. Im whizzing for england, when I hear a tent zip...Uhoh This lass gets out of her tent. 2 tents away, turns and watches with a head torch me whizzing away Starkers.......Id had about 7 pints of liquid with the soup, coffee, lager and guinness, and her head torch is illuminating my arse. what seemed like 5 mins later id finished, the only bonus was with the SHADOW Id been casting id looked like I was hung like a horse and my bum looking well toned as it was clenched trying to whizz as fast as I could.
Next morning I got a few smiles, weather wasnt too good

We all headed off, neil having a couple of scares on the fjr, greasy bumpy roads 2 up. We get lost, and stop. Chris heads off south. We all end up in cockermouth, and fuel up. Take the a66 then head towards winderemere. Kirby lonsdale to devils bridge. Have a bite to eat there and look at the bikes. We all say our farewells and head off home.

Thanks lads for the great trip, thanks for the navigating phil, paul for the entertainment, and chris for sharing your stories and pics.

My alp run like a dream, filled up at cockermouth, got me home, got me to work and back before filling up. A mixed bag of riding, loaded up 210miles 18.3 litre of fuel. Paul eat your heart out m8 :D

Brilliant time was had by all. Sorry for the late posting.....busy at home

Paul

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Nice story. Maybe this would be a good venue for the 2007 National Meet? Hey! we haven't even had the 2006 one yet!

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Its about the right time to start the planning then :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good to me :D If Mav and the posse are coming by gps though, they better set off straight after the 2006 meet. :lol:
Paul

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
No prop
I have my 13 year old doughter draw them a map
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NO, NORTH IS THIS WAY UP

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Dee Duble Yuh said:
Nice story. Maybe this would be a good venue for the 2007 National Meet? Hey! we haven't even had the 2006 one yet!
Sounds good to me, never did get round to touring the Lakes.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Good to meet up again paul, 'ave to do it again sometime 8)

Crackin' ride report, couldn't help but notice, how the photo quality deteriorated during the bike fix/bodge, nothing to do with Lager I take it!!!

Phil

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
piguglyshandydrinker said:

Crackin' ride report, couldn't help but notice, how the photo quality deteriorated during the bike fix/bodge, nothing to do with Lager I take it!!!

Phil
Yes those cans of fosters hit the mark. Looking forward to the next meetup in the yorkshire dales or yorkshire moors. Pauls already mentioned it and is busy getting the cx500 back on the road.. Let us know when your available.
The only reason the bandit defeated you was you didnt have a big enough hammer :D

Paul

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
That looked a cracking weekend but those Bandits don't look that well screwed together.

Definately some dodgy photos near the end, hic.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
wheeliebin said:
That looked a cracking weekend but those Bandits don't look that well screwed together.

Definately some dodgy photos near the end, hic.
Hiya John, can't help notice the wording of the above post.......

"Bandit", "cracking" and "screwed" ........ :roll: :roll: :roll:

All in all a fab weekend, can't wait for the next!

Phil

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
24ftlb said:
Sounds good to me :D If Mav and the posse are coming by gps though, they better set off straight after the 2006 meet. :lol:
Paul
:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: YOU ARE SO NOT WRONG BUDDY :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

great report by the way :thumbleft:

·
17,680 Posts
24ftlb said:

Phil
Yes those cans of fosters hit the mark. Looking forward to the next meetup in the yorkshire dales or yorkshire moors. Pauls already mentioned it and is busy getting the cx500 back on the road.. Let us know when your available.
The only reason the bandit defeated you was you didnt have a big enough hammer :D

Paul

thats only cos his medium sized one wouldnt fit on the bike and you would need his telehandler for his big hammer :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

·
17,680 Posts
:thebirdman: :wink:

Phil
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :bootyshake: :bootyshake: :bootyshake: :D

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
Hiya John, can't help notice the wording of the above post.......

"Bandit", "cracking" and "screwed" ........ :roll: :roll: :roll:

Phil
That almost 'scrapes' though as being funny.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts