Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and to motorcycling for that matter.
I have always wanted to buy a transalp, for various reasons.
Question though, do you guys think it makes sense to buy one now given the fact that it is out of production?
Would it make more sense to go for something like the varadero or a Vstrom?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
varadero is out of production as well!
But I have just brought (another) one (2003 v3) to go with my TA. Went for a test ride on it and thought why did I get rid of my last one, the same feeling I had when I returned to TAs.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
it depends on what model you are looking at, if you want fuel injection and ABS - then only the Transalp 700 has those

if you want to do any touring on it, the 650 or 700 are best for that (more horsepower), unless you don't mind touring at 60 mph then the transalp 600 is fine)

if you what the best looking one - the 600 is that

plenty of parts available for all models

very few decent low miles 600 models around, but plenty of 650 and 700 models

if you're going for a 600 model, try to get the twin front disk model, ideally with under 30,000 miles on it

have a look at this thread for some idea of prices for the 600 model:

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/transalp/131537-600-transalp-ebay-gumtree-thread.html

this is a nice one:

Honda Transalp 600 | eBay

someone on here was selling a 1998 600 model. see here

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/bikes-...98-transalp-600-sale-995-a-2.html#post1135417

another bike to consider is the Suzuki DL650 v-strom, they get very good reviews, especially the newer 2011+ models

·
Registered
790 Posts
Thanks - my question mainly - is it hard to find parts?
This forum is amazing for help and advice, there will always be someone here who knows a store to buy parts if you need them.

Good luck, I used eBay, Wemoto, M&P, and even my local Honda dealer still has the odd bits

All the best :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your replies - extremely helpful.
Now that I know such an encouraging support exists, I am more inclined to get one!

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
My take would be.... the 600 can sit at 75 all day but is a bit higher reving than the other 2, but is getting old now and finding a nice one is getting harder.
Plenty of 650s out there and are very easy to get along with but servicing is a bit fidly'er than the 600
700s are better for the road with its smaller front wheel but less legroom than the others... marginal mind

·
Registered
790 Posts
I dont have any real buying advice, I just love the look of the 600. Mine is a 1996 model, she's really good, comfy and as Phil says, can sit at 75 mph all day with the odd blast up if you feel the need.
I guess the perfect model for me would have been a later 600 with the twin front discs for better braking. But that's marginal, cant say I suffer with the single disc.

Good mate of mine got a black 650 Alp and to this day he wishes he never sold it. After the Alp, he had 1150GS, 1150GS Adventure, KTM 990 and then a BM 1150RS (I think). He still talks fondly of that 650 Alp in the pub to this day :D

Ive little / no mechanical skills, but oddly, Ive never done so much to a bike! I find the 600 Alp easy to reach anything; plugs, filters, fairing off - all straight forward. Easy to self service and maintain.

Best o' luck, please post some pictures when you get your Alp!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Phil and Dave!
I seem to have set my mind on the 650. Not very keen on getting the 700, I prefer the looks on the 650
I will... shopping around at the moment.... :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've just bought a '57 650 Transalp. Came back to biking after (too) many years, with a little 125, but needed a bigger bike to occasionally take a pillion passenger. The beast is big, awkward in city traffic, but sheer bliss elsewhere. You can see over the traffic, ride at a decent speed comfortably and not ache afterwards. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Its obviously subjective but I'me suprised you find it awkward in city traffic, its just a mid size mid weight traily and with the sit up wide bars position I find it a piece of cake really :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its obviously subjective but I'me suprised you find it awkward in city traffic, its just a mid size mid weight traily and with the sit up wide bars position I find it a piece of cake really :D
It's Cardiff with a lot of very very slow cars and shortish legs. I'll get there, with more practice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Transalp 600 1999 or 2000 - the best one's
The 650 is more for the long road travels, a little superior cruse speed than the 600 - to keep reliability in range.
with a 10W, or 15 for a heavier man, fork liquid you can do some good offroad.
I went on top of mountains on a TA and just offroad, in the forest.
Good CDI, 2 disks front-good brake, indestructible engine.
DId you rode a C90? its just like that. a toy.
the ride position; the best!
I.m 5.6 and the spring is preloaded at max!
All you need is technique, use it's weight as advantage.

It'a a smaller africa twin

·
Registered
897 Posts
It's Cardiff with a lot of very very slow cars and shortish legs. I'll get there, with more practice.
OK then, and I guess its understandable coming from a 125, if you have a problem reaching the ground you might want to borrow a low seat from someone and see how that feels. The riders part is only 40mm lower but I would imagine it makes quite a difference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is the Tiger 800 XC taller than the transalp? I'm 6'4 and do not want to be squashed if you know what I mean.... the taller the better :)....
Though TA's are generally cheaper than the tiger... seeing it will be my 1st bike do not want to spend too much on it just yet

·
Registered
897 Posts
Is the Tiger 800 XC taller than the transalp? I'm 6'4 and do not want to be squashed if you know what I mean.... the taller the better :)....
Though TA's are generally cheaper than the tiger... seeing it will be my 1st bike do not want to spend too much on it just yet
Don't know which one is taller but its not just about seat height I'me 6' 4'' or was :) now 6' 2.5''( knakkered spine) but still got the leg length with a long femur! and I had to move the footrests to get my knees into the tank of my TA650 , plus I had to level the seat off, I've got a 36'' seat height before I sink into it a little :lol:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts