Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all newbe here

Looking to buy a Africa Twin but i have a few questions. Is 60bhp enough? It is a long time since i have had a bike lower than 100bhp is it under powered can the power be increased cheaply?

Also what should i be looking for when i go for a view. I have a few photos and it looks in very good condition.

It is a 1998 model with 21k on the clock.

Ta
Chris

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,096 Posts
Yes 60bhp is enough - it is a nice lazy v twin grunt - not fast compared to 100bhp bikes but will hustle you along.

What to look for -

Rotten rims - OEM rims are a bit **** but are ok if in good cond.

Fuel pump - OEM pumps often need replacing with a facet pump - easy and not too expensive.

Output drive shaft - chain needs to have been kept at the correct tension, too tight and it buggers the shaft bearing etc and that is an engine rebuild job.

They are the main items, I am sure others will add things - best bet is to look at overall condition, service history etc.

As there is very little difference between the early RD04's and the later RD07's you would do better to get a decent RD04, even with higher mileage, than a shabby RD07.

Some people even rate the RD04's higher than the 07's.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
Twice I have gone from an FJ1200 to an Africa Twin. It's extremely rare I miss the extra power. In fact the second time the FJ only lasted a year before I changed back (I had the first FJ for 5 years and a lot of miles).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Output drive shaft - chain needs to have been kept at the correct tension, too tight and it buggers the shaft bearing etc and that is an engine rebuild job.

How do i check the output drive shaft?

·
Registered
779 Posts
remove the front sprocket cover and give the front sprocket a wiggle. In/out is normal, up/down or left/right is bad news, walk away.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
remove the front sprocket cover and give the front sprocket a wiggle. In/out is normal, up/down or left/right is bad news, walk away.
You mean RUN away!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi all newbe here

Looking to buy a Africa Twin but i have a few questions. Is 60bhp enough?
Chris.
I went from a Buell M2 100bhp/87 ft/lbs torque and lighter than the A.T.
it wasn't so much the lack of grunt,more the awfull fuel consumption I experienced untill I settled down , stopped riding full bore everywhere, and accepted the gentler power delivery.
Mine is pleasant to ride has ,very predictable handling,just a lot more civilised.
If you buy one and don't grow to like it ,there's nothing lost, they hold on to their value and there seems to be a steady stream of people wanting to try one.
Just wish it would stop snowing then I could get mine oot ( bike that is )
Lee

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Chris

I bought my first AT as a hack to save my sportsbike from winter weather.

I'm now on my 6th AT and am hooked. I still love my sportsbikes, but riding an Africa Twin is a completely different experience and they have plenty enough power, don't respond amazingly well to tuning for the extra cost, BUT will take you anywhere you put a pin in a map.

They are a modern classic, and you'll be surprised how many bikers and non-bikers stop to have a chat about them.

Like everyone says, biggest gremlins to watch out for are the output shaft being stripped of it's splines, or wheel rim rot. These are the biggest AT problems, everything else is manageable with regular maintenance.

Shop wisely, and you'll always get your money back.

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes 60bhp is enough - it is a nice lazy v twin grunt - not fast compared to 100bhp bikes but will hustle you along.

What to look for -

Rotten rims - OEM rims are a bit **** but are ok if in good cond.

Fuel pump - OEM pumps often need replacing with a facet pump - easy and not too expensive.

They are the main items, I am sure others will add things - best bet is to look at overall condition, service history etc.

As there is very little difference between the early RD04's and the later RD07's you would do better to get a decent RD04, even with higher mileage, than a shabby RD07.

Some people even rate the RD04's higher than the 07's.

Oh yes the RD04 A TANK OF A MACHINE

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
A good RD04 is a better bike than a rough RD07, I've had both and still think the RD04 was the best.
After a few 100bhp bikes I think you'll find it hard to judge the @T fairly but give it a chance, cracking bike.
On the front sprocket comment earlier in the post, I've had five @T's over the yrs, one ex demo with little miles on it, I checked the sprocket as I was paranoid after my last one, which had just as much play as all the other ones I owned! I have NEVER seen an @T that doesn't have play in the front sprocket. Agreed, a knackered output shaft is possible and certainly a costly repair but don't be put off by a little play!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts