Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the forum and the world of Africa Twins. Currently own a Yamaha Thundercat that has served me well over the years but I would like to get another bike in the adventure bike mold and my research repeatedly pointed towards the original Honda Africa Twins.

I have done a fair bit of research regarding weak points and things to look out for and I've seen two Twins in the flesh now, awesome bikes! So I wanted to see what the consensus was from some Africa Twin enthusiasts on the following bike that I viewed and test drove on Sunday.

It is a RD07, 2000 plate, 40,000 miles on the clocks, 3 owners, new tires, fluids recently changed, Sat Nav, Oxford heated grips, rear Givi rack and box, spare brake pads and a few other bits thrown in too (new fuel pump etc). Felt very smooth on the test drive, brakes all fine, transmission felt very nice, accelerated cleanly. Bike is always stored dry in a garage. The current owner seemed like an honest guy and was happy for me to take off the front sprocket to check the output shaft which looked all fine. Chain and sprockets seemed to have plenty of life left too.

He is asking for £3150 including all extras. Thoughts?

Only negative point I noticed was the 2 of the engine case bolt threads on the flywheel/starter drive casing are seemingly sheered and the bolts are no longer biting but I'd imagine that is a pretty straightforward fix to re-thread the knackered threads.

Thanks in advance,
Ollie

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I've sold a number of AT's over the years. TwoI sold in the last 18 months sold for way more than that, it looks as good as an 03 I sold for £4750 (albeit with lower milage) and better by far than a 97 model I sold for £3250 ,so I'm saying go for it. If I wasn't trimming down on bigger bikes now I'd be tempted myself !! :)

40,000 ? front discs need to be min 3.5mm , have a look. Rear shock ? have a look . Rims always worth a second look. Fuel hoses may be dodgy too, have a look . Otherwise I wouldn't even haggle on the price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies and pointers! I've been busy looking for more Twin's and am off to view the bike below today which I think I will probably end up going for if all is well upon closer inspection and a test drive. The seller wants a bit more then the previous one I looked at but the bike comes with a long list of extras. Mileage is also 40k and I think its a 98 plate. Also much prefer the colour scheme, just think the whole thing looks a lot more meaner and off-road like.He wants £3800 so about £650 more than the previous bike I viewed but think its reasonable given all of the additional equipment. The downpipes look like they might have seen better days and it come with the the stock exhaust rather than the aftermarket one in the photos.

Extras inlcude:
  • Touratech seat (both in short for 1 person and long version for 2)
  • Touratech pannier side rack
  • 2 alumnimium Touratech pannier cases
  • 1 Touratech inner bag for pannier
  • Touratech Tankbag
  • Small Touratech rear pouch/bag including mounting plate (for use with single person seat)
  • Oehlins rear shock
  • Heated grips
  • Acerbis handguards
  • Mikuni vacuum pump
  • Oil thermometer
  • Engine guard/crash bar
  • Stainless steel braided brake hoses
  • New extra strengthened X ring chain and sprocket
  • Wide footpegs/rests
  • Black rims
  • Heidenau Scout tyres

Hopefully there won't be any surprises during the viewing or test drive, if not then I'll probably be buying my first Africa Twin today :)

Cheers,
Ollie

·
Registered
125 Posts
Touratech stuff is overpriced for my personal tastes. Braided stainless still have to see a real difference (bever done heavy off-road though) But Ohlin shock is expensive, the wider pegs also have a price so that makes already the price difference.
Mikuni pump I would say no. I am a fan of Facet, NEVER leaves you without warning.
Mileage... my RD07A is on the 150000 miles mark. Still no need to open the engine. Oil consumption irrelevant.
RD07 have worse components quality than previous models (I also have a rd03 and not a single screw there is rusty), but you still find everything as spare and they are SO easy to service with their big frame.
The ONLY weak spot of that motorbike (once you settle fuel pump and R/R) is the rear wheel right bearing. It was engineered too small for that wheel size and sooner or later it breaks. Keep always an eye on it so that it does not happen. If you damage that hub, going with a broken bearing, there is no replacement to date.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts