Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My response team has been called up for deployment to Kenya/Ethiopia/Somalia as part of the overall UN relief effort there( prolonged heavy rains has washed out huge areas. Over 1.5 million people displaced). We're leaving straight away for Nairobi and on to Garissa nearer the Somali border and the flood event zone. Going to be racking up alot of airtime in UN heli's.
One minute you're sitting there having a nice cuppa in front of your computer and the next you're chucking things in your rucksack. S'posed to be shipped back on Christmas eve but no one's really expecting that to happen.

Just thought I'd better say Happy Christmas to everyone now. Hope there are shiny new bike bits under everyone's tree. :D

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Safe trip mate - bring us back a helicopter please.

·
aka Oxbone :)
1,514 Posts
See you soon Geo.... have a safe trip....

ps.... got any room for another?..... sounds like a great way to get out of xmas shopping...

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
Cheers Mate , stay safe.

You're a hero be proud!!

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
Good luck fella, nice to see its not just our firm that does lastminute.com jobs! :wink: - any chance you could get your bike out there as well, mind you you'll need a pretty big rucksack for that!?

Stay away from any Russian helicopters - my last time in a HIP was just that - I refuse to get in 'em now cos scared was NOT the word.......

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
Be Safe Mate! Have a "good" trip (he says knowing what that really means). I hope it all goes as smooth as possible. If you need anything just let us know and we will do our best. Hope you get back for xmass with the GF. I'll pm you my email and cell number so that you can get in`touch if need be.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shep said:
Good luck mate, you are doing a very worthy job there you should be very proud

I feel for those poor people either Drought or now too much rain
Thanks for that, Shep. And the rest of you. I can tell you, after your first deployment, you'll never take anything you have for granted. You go into these places, you do your job, you try to remain objective like they tell you....... but you never can.

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
Merry Xmas and Happy New year too.
I'll be leaving in a week too, the fourth consecutive festive season in a row, missing both, admittedly not as risky as yours, only Mother Nature to worry about in drilling, not @ssholes with RPG's and SAM's. Having been in the army and the oil industry, I do understand though, without one's family, bike, beer and pork, life does suck.
Good luck mate.

·
Huh?
2,328 Posts
Merry Christmas and good luck!

I'm glad there are people like you in the world, so often all we hear about is the bad stuff, so a big thanks from me.

Cheers
-Simon

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Yep good luck Geo. Again you're doing a sterling job.
We're all proud of you here. :mrgreen:

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
be safe geo and come back in one piece dude :D

and where ever you are have a good crimbo , i for one will raise a glass to you mate :thumbright:

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Safe trip,nice and merry x-mas and be carefull!!!
It is africa :wink: :shock: :shock:
I know i lived there :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts