Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know how much spare capacity, if any, my Honda NX4 has so that I can work out what extra electical equipment I can put on it safely without causing deep unhappiness at the side of some European road! Things like heated grips or vest, extra LED lights etc etc The mobile phone running as a satnav eats juice and I reckon a tablet will be worse!!

I have searched the 'net with no joy, the workshop manual does not have any indication of what the output is, so am I forced to find out through trial and error?? I seem to think I have seena trick using a voltmeter and adding more load to the battery while the engine is running fast and watching what happens, but this does seem.... crude ;-)

Any suggestions please kind people?

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Phone that dude from Apollo 13!

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phone that dude from Apollo 13!
Last folks I want working on my bikes.... Oh you mean the guy that fixed it!!

I know my NX4 is old tech, but not THAT old ;-)

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
What else did they put that engine into?

might be some info on ADVrider or Thumpertalk?

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What else did they put that engine into?

might be some info on ADVrider or Thumpertalk?
Tis an XR400 motor, detuned a bit built around a road orientated frame, lighting brakes and so on.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Automotiv...239?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d3bb46f47

the 3 phase generators give out full power all the time.. what you dont need to dumped back into the out of phase coils.....( too much detail :) )

remove the fuse for the lights and replace with tester linked above ... this will give you the current draw add your LED units and you should find it will add 1-2 amps at most and you can verify my rough estimate below :)

Heated grips pull about 2-3 amps so, in total 5 amps @14.7 v ( if using a FET reg ) is 73.5 watts

rough estimate

GPS and other chargers say 1 amp which is say 15 watts
tail light 5 watt
head light 55 watt
ignition ( say 20 watt )
stop light 25 watt
Indicator are 42w per side (both bulbs ) but intermittent

So everything on and your additional kit:- 235 watts with brake light and Indicators on

Replace you stop & tail light with a LED and your indicators with LEDs you down to 170 watts

AT generators are about 320 watts and I am assuming yours is there or there abouts..

So a few led lights, replace others with leds and heated grips should be ok.. But that’s about it….

EDIT :-- think the AT is 320w dysexia rules :)

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Good info Ray

I see you watched Apollo 13 as well then!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Good info Ray

I see you watched Apollo 13 as well then!
yup keep the note on the eject switch :thumbup:

its a rough guess but I have one if those wee current testers and they are really good for playing about :)

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Absolutely magic Ray, have a Seasonal virtual Pint on me!! :) If I get to Scotland next year, I'll make it a real one...

I'll pick up on of the wee gadgets you linked to and try it out. I can see it being useful around the farm machinery too ;-) The XR400 only had a teeny output from looking on thumpertalk, around 80-150w depending on specs. No where near enough for a modern bike with full lighting.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
The XR400 only had a teeny output from looking on thumpertalk, around 80-150w depending on specs. No where near enough for a modern bike with full lighting.
thats tiny...
LEDs and big gloves :)

Your welcome Steve but Beer always welcome:thumbup:

hopefully I will get oot more , only managed Ardurmurcan the national & Gallow , not too bad when you think of it :bom:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just found this in a ropey translation of the owners manual from Brazil. I got quite excited for a few minutes...

Battery: 12v - 6Ah
Generator: KW / 5000 rpm 0.321

Not quite sure what the 0.321 all means!

There was also a consumption table which pretty well tallied with your estimate apart from no figure for ignition, plus up to 8-10w for warning lamps.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Now found this in my Portugese e-version of the Owners manual.

Gerador (Generator, I reckon) 0.321kW /5000 rpm

This suggests to me that the output will be 320watts at 5000 rpm...

Seems pretty healthy output for a wee 400 trailie?

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it's a stock stator then maybe your dealing with 85 watts. Upgrade and can get up to 200 watts. Get rid of the incandescent lights and go LED
and you will gain a bit more. Heated grips eh? Your going to hurt the old girl. :D

Following link may help with operating loads and accessories.

Calculating Excess Electrical Capacity - Learning Center - Powerlet Products
I am pretty confident it's not a low ouput genny... I hope!

Great link, most interesting. :thumbup:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
320W ! thats good

I have bought some Oxford Heated Grips for the DRZ and they are specifically for scooters etc os bikes with smaller charging systems and batteries. Less than 3 amps and 45 degrees C

I have also bought a higher output stator

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Now found this in my Portugese e-version of the Owners manual.

Gerador (Generator, I reckon) 0.321kW /5000 rpm

This suggests to me that the output will be 320watts at 5000 rpm...

Seems pretty healthy output for a wee 400 trailie?
sorted :) still always worth repacing stop & tail light with LED bulb , more reliable too :thumbup:

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorted :) still always worth repacing stop & tail light with LED bulb , more reliable too :thumbup:
Now ordered! :)

I did ponder the LED H4 headlight bulbs replacements, but no one has a good word for them at all as a genuine headlight replacement. Chuck a couple of LED driving lights on once I have mounted the engine bars this winter. Just waiting for the muddy trail riding to finish...

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
320W ! thats good

I have bought some Oxford Heated Grips for the DRZ and they are specifically for scooters etc os bikes with smaller charging systems and batteries. Less than 3 amps and 45 degrees C

I have also bought a higher output stator
5K is quite a high rev range for me, I rarely ride at that other than main roads, but 2/3 of 320w is still an OK output.

I have Keis heated gloves, as I have super thick Grip Puppy's fitted to kill vibes, and I am dubious that the heat would get through the foam... Though to be honest, I am rarely out in BAD weather these days ;-) Too old. I'll have a look at the heated grips you mention, as they are nice for trail riding.

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
the 3 phase generators give out full power all the time.. what you dont need to dumped back into the out of phase coils.....( too much detail :) )
Sorry Ray, but I don't agree with that - in fact it's complete rubbish. Any power not taken by the bike's electrical load (lights, CDI, charging the battery etc) is dumped as heat.

The rated output of the alternator is 360 Watts and this is at 5,000 rpm. Any slower and the power output drops.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 33 Posts