Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...but I was at the NEC show yesterday and having a good look at the new Tiger 800XC on the Triumph stand - and I was VERY impressed - to the extent that I was thinking "Hmm... I want one of those..." I've often felt that Triumphs were nice bikes, but that on closer inspection, they were a little bit "British Leyland" if you know what I mean - not the new Tiger: the fit and finishing and the attention to details were spot-on. I'll swear the riding position was a little more spacious than on the Transalp 700 too.

Perhaps not straight away, maybe wait a year or two for any production gremlins to be ironed out, and for some good, clean secondhand ones to become available - but I'm sure I'd like to try a test ride on one sometime.

Does anyone else here feel their Transalp loyalty being tested a little by this bike?

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I felt the same way a few weeks ago, and I was only in the dealership looking at pictures and being tempted by the offer of their second bike for a £100 deposit!!

I think I would have given in and bought one if I'd been in your position!

It will be interesting to see how the XC fares when people do start to use them off-road, and I can certainly see me wanting one in a year or so hopefully.

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
251 Posts
In a word...yes.

To put that in context, I have only recently acquired an 'Alp, having been a long time fan while riding other 'trialsy' bikes: Yamaha XT500 / Royal Enfield 500 Bullet (trials trim). A good friend of mine went from a Vara to a 955 Tiger and now has a 1050 Tiger, and hasn't had any bother with either.

I quite fancied the new BMW GS800 until I saw one in the flesh: can't put my finger on it, but I was rather underwhelmed. Obviously, I haven't seen the new Tiger 800XC up close yet, but I'm very keen to book a test ride when the local dealer gets his act together...

Like you, I'll probably covet them from afar for a couple of years, until the 2nd hand market stabilises. Maybe I should start saving now...

Joe

p.s. love my 'Alp, which shares garage space with my Bullets - can't imagine getting rid of the solo trials one, but the sidecar combo may have to go (it's useless off road...)

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
You're bikers!
You get itchy feet walking within 30 miles of a bike dealership:rolleyes:
I love my Transalp; I loved my GS.
To be really critical of the Transalp, I'd like it slightly longer. Virtually every time I swing my leg over, I catch the top box; not so on the GS.
The front end feels a little wallowy into fast corners.
But, then again, the Trannie is a lot cheaper and I don't have to visit a BMW dealer!
You need a good reason to change, ask yourself what it is that the Triumph would give you over the Transalp.
But, it's very hard to get over the 'Change my bike' itch:D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Interesting post this ....
I had a Tiger 955 for 4 years and I absolutely loved it apart from it feeling a bit too heavy as the weight is carried high. No problems riding (including dry but rocky off road) - it was man handling it, parking etc. etc.
Having waited with anticipation for the much rumoured Baby Tiger I finally gave up and decided I'd feel happier with something smaller. I didn't even bother looking at the Transalp as, according to the specs, it's as high and as heavy as the 955.
Anyway, nothing else was seemed to meet what I was looking for so I test rode a Transalp - and now I have one!
Literally about a month after making the change my dealer told me that the Baby Tiger was about to be released - b****r!! I was kicking myself until I saw the press release. It looks too much like a wannabe BMW, too tall and too expensive. Maybe it's just me but it also seems to be to much aimed at this new breed of 'adventure rider' that you see in the glossy mags. I haven't seen one if the flesh mind!
Still, I'm in no hurry to go looking as I've got pretty fond of my Trannie!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Perhaps not straight away, maybe wait a year or two for any production gremlins to be ironed out, and for some good, clean secondhand ones to become available - but I'm sure I'd like to try a test ride on one sometime.

Does anyone else here feel their Transalp loyalty being tested a little by this bike?
Firstly yes I am tempted as I already like their Tiger 1050 as a good friend already owns one but is was out of my budget when I bought my TA.

I bought a copy of MCN, first time in ages, when I saw it on the front cover but was only interested in some tech spec and seeing what the bike looked like as I never listen to what the gernos say as all they seem interested in is top speed and dropping the foot-pegs on the road.

Can't agree more about waiting as I bought an '07 BMW F800ST and at that point was very unreliable and made me feel like we were sold the bike too early and were part of BMW's development programme for the F800 that was first released on the market in '06. All of the issues, some major, ended up putting me off EVER wanting to own another BMW.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nope. It is by the roadie version though... Guess it has as much to do with "bang for yer buck". If this was a jap import it would be about 2k more. It also has a bit to do with supporting a british company with a growing worldwide reputation for quality & reliability.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope. It is by the roadie version though... It also has a bit to do with supporting a British company with a growing worldwide reputation for quality & reliability.
Certainly, the quality and relaibility looked to be apparent from the bikes at the show - they looked well designed and worked through. Riding a British bike would give me a good feeling too...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I went to the show by train yesterday, it was the last practical option left for me to use.
On the way back two people sat next to me on the train were talking about triumphs, relability, servicing and waranties.
One comment made was "Triumph are the best I have known with their warranty decisions" he went on to describe how Triumph covered the cost of repairs of failures that shouldn't have happened on occasions an long as 18 months after the warranty had run out. Their view being that if the bike was maintained properly then the purchaser shouldnt suffer.

I asked him about his comments and told him I had been to the bike show to look at the new 800 and he told me that he was a service manager at a Triumph dealership. He was a real enthusiast and ambassador for Triumph and his dealership.

When they service a bike they take a digital photo of the bike stripped down showing the number plate, so the customer sees the engine,valve gear or what have you exposed.

He also spoke of bikes they get in for service that supposadly had been serviced fully where it was clear that bolts had never been touched.

His comment when we parted was you have to what you are saying as you never know who is listening!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think the new 800 Tigers will be winners for Triumph....I'm certainly going to try the road-orientated version, rather than the XC. On paper it looks like a good compromise between my 1200GS - fantastic for pillion/long distance touring and reliable (don't believe all you hear!) - and my 700TA - great for solo rides/commuting but a bit small for pillion + kit. It could be a replacement for both bikes and avoid the expense of running two bikes, I say to myself. Then I stand in the garage and look at my two lovely bikes and think I couldn't part with either of them!

I've had a 955 Tiger - used far too much oil - and a 955 Sprint - radiator boiled dry on a trip to France, but otherwise they were very good.....and Triumph do seem to have a genuine customer focus. Wait for the Autumn special deals to come out - they're bound to give away centre stand, heated grips and top box or panniers once the initial launch hype is out of the way. Seems a pity these essentials are all 'options' designed to open our wallets a bit further.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
most bikes i have had have been Hondas. the only two new bikes i have had were Hondas,but if i had the money now?
tempting that Triumph v.v.tempting!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Have to say I am of Windmill Js stance - what does it do for you in any great measure that the TA does not? Indeed, in several areas, your TA does for you what a Triumph - umph, umph, silence - does not.

Put aside your itchy dabs and resist the temptation. Console yourself with saving pots of money and making a rational decision in the face of such a nice, shiny lure to your otherwise perfectly functioning brain. Go therefore hence to the shed and polish thy TA and be content with thy lot!

However, should you really feel the urge to spend, could I suggest your favourite charity - you'll feel much better for it.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I found the XC a bit too tall but it was well set out and felt comfortable.

·
Registered
251 Posts
...what does it do for you in any great measure that the TA does not?...
Quite right Oggy!

As your profile pic suggests, I will "keep calm and carry on". My stable of 500 Bullet / 650 'Alp do everything I need, for a very reasonable price. That said, I'll treat myself to a test ride of the Baby Tiger when I get the chance, just to be sure...

Joe

·
Registered
58 Posts
My Transalp 700 had to go in for it's one year service yesterday so I used the excuse to try out the Tiger 800 (road version). Ref. my earlier post here I thought I'd made the change from my Tiger 955i to the Transalp a couple of months too early and have wondered ever since if I'd got the wrong bike.
As soon as I sat on the Tiger that was how I felt :( The seat height was great, bar position good and it felt pretty light and nimble. The engine was fantastic - very torquey with plenty of go if you need it and the gearbox was pleasantly slick. After an hour and a half I wasn't so sure. There was plenty of buffeting from the screen, the seat felt hard (I've never had that problem on a bike before), the pegs felt too high and the frame by the seat/tank irritated the inside of my knees/thighs. Still - it was lovely to ride and all those niggles could be sorted.
Finally my TA was finished, I threw a leg over and it was perfect - the longer I rode the more perfect it became (?!). No more niggling doubts for me - I KNOW I've got the right bike. :p

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well I guess it's confession time now. Since my earlier comment, I test road both Tiger 800s at two dealerships......and, yep, I collect my shiney new XC next w/end. It has the makings of a fantastic bike. It was supposed to replace my current two bikes - a 700T/A and R1200GS. Sensible, rational thing to do, I thought.....one MOT, one to tax and insure etc. Well, the GS is going, which will be hard........but the T/A is staying - I just enjoy riding it too much to get rid of it! I think the Triumph will be a good replacement for the GS....but nothing can replace my T/A for the time being. It's going to be an expensive few months.

·
Registered
69 Posts
l have always had three or four bikes , always Triumphs and one other to use as my workhorse. After a string of Kawasakis, mainly KLE's, a great reliable engine but unreliable everything else, l bought the Transalp cos they had stopped making KLE's. It does everything l ask of it, including lugging all my tools or stock, and never missed a beat. l would love to change it as its showing its age but on the new 700's the suspension needs uprating and the brakes are marginal. l could and do live with the awful servicing access, a nightmare. But l might stick with it for one reason, The Transalps load area, the strong sub frame that means you have a nice long flat load space from the pillion seat to the rack. l have carried whole car wheels on the back and flat screen tvs. l cannot beat most bikes from the lights or scooters for that matter but l get the drop on most family cars and 70 mph is as fast as this old fart goes ( l have the Thunderbird if l need to go faster). What l cannot forgive Honda for is the appalling MPG , Their cars can get 60MPG around town, why not a plodder of a bike, for Gods sake its not a Fireblade!!!!.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Interesting post this ....
I had a Tiger 955 for 4 years.
Same here.
Sold my 2003 650V which I'd had for four trouble free years and bought a 955i Tiger. Kept it for four years but always missed the Alp. Although better in the corners, and the exhaust growl on the over run is awesome the Tiger clonked and rattled and proved too heavy for London traffic. Finally sold it, looked at the 800 Tiger but dismissed it as well overpriced. Bought a 700V and instantly hated it. Bought a 650V again and the 700 is for sale.
Even though I'm back where I started eight years ago I'm now content and will stick with what works best !

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's interesting coming back to this thread, and seeing how things change. I've still not test ridden a Tiger, but I'm still sort of "interested". I think the temptation has subsisded a fair bit - partly because I've rediscovered the joys of riding my bicycle, and I've really, really hankered after a hand-built custom Mercian bike for longer than I can remember (and I'm thinking that the number of seasons that I will be fit enough to really enjoy pedalling a Mercian aren't getting any more over the years - so I'd better get on with it). I've figured that the cost of a Mercian will be in the same region as the cost of "upgrading" to a Tiger XC (give or take a few hundred pounds), and frankly, I'd rather keep the Transalp (which I love riding), and get a Mercian and satisfy the hankering that's lasted for over 30 years of bicycle riding.

For me, at the moment, there's nothing I want from a motorcycle that I can't get from my Transalp. Enough said. :D

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Welcome to my world (roadie, not XC)

Dilbert the Heretic :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts