Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after all the stripdown and rebuild that took place recently, my cam chains are slapping like mad. I'm not very please as you can imaging after just having the engine stripped and rebuilt. The guy who did the rebuild said they looked ok when he put them back!!

I'm thinking of doing this myself this time, so need some advice as to how tech the procedure is. I'm usually quite handy with engines - gearboxes are beyond my experience that's why the other guy did the rebuild for me.

How far down the engine do I need to strip.
Can I get by with the engine in the frame.
Any known problems I'm likely to encounter.
Any idea as to the amount of time to do this job.(thinking of dedicating a weekend for the task).

Cheers Guys

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Hmmmm I've never delved this far into an AT engine, but do recall that the tensioner blades can get stuck.

(again from a poor memory, you can see and access the tensioners by removing the rocker covers and looking down the camchain)

It may be worth trying to inspect the tensioners before starting to strip the engine.

Treat yourself to a Honda workshop manual for the RD04, there's been a few on eBay recently.

Good Luck,and don't forget to take some pics and let us know how you get on.

Bob :thumbup:

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,081 Posts
Cam chain tensioners need the head off - quite easy to be honest and you can do it in situ. More than that you need the engine out.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
You don't need the heads off unless you replace the straight guide blades too - and these are usually okay.

Camchains and tensioners can be done in the frame. Both side cases need to come off (exhaust too for clutch side). The clutch basket needs to come out. The alternator rotor needs to come off which will need an M22 threaded bolt (I think) or an extractor. You'll need to drain the fluids too of course. I can do them in a day as long as nothing is seized or snaps when being undone. :rolleyes:

The first job would be to take the cam covers off and check out the tensioner wear indicators. If the wear indicators are on the limit or over, I'd be seriously questioning the guy who rebuilt the motor - particularly if he was paid for the job. I'd be asking what he based "looking okay" on.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Hard to believe your mechanic never did a proper measurement on the projection of the wedge at the top of the cam chain tensioner..on a so called rebuild. I would throw it back in his face.

Anyhow...here is a pic of the rear cylinder. As mentioned already the clutch baskets comes off...and the primary drive gear...and the little spocket it rides on before you can slip the chain down the tunnel. Any difficulty getting it past the guide blades then your heads may have to come off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts