Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a weekend camping up at Paul & Marias (Takoda) for the XRV National

First time I've tried one of those Hi-Gear camp beds - the canvas and metal poles type from Go Outdoors for £10. It just fits in the Coleman Phad X3 tent diagonally and weighs 2.7kgs so not exactly light. I had a £3 Gelert foil-topped thin folding sleeping mat that was the exact same size as the bed. I used it under the sleeping bag. This also fits in the bed bag when packed away (I used it foil side next to me rather than the material side - have I done that right?)

I normally use a North Ridge Alpine self inflating mat that inflates to 4.5cm and this is very comfortable and packs small and light so I took this too in case I didn't get on with the camp bed

I was concerned with the legs rubbing on the ground sheet so I cut up some pieces of pipe lagging about 8cms each that I had lying around and they take up no room and minimal space in my other gear and weigh next to nothing. These slid onto the legs and protected the groundsheet and they stayed in place.

I have to say that these last few nights camping have been the most comfortable I have ever been. The pack size on the bed is not very big.

www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-4-leg-camping-bed-p143629

I stayed nice and warm and slept almost as good as being in bed at home. The compromise is the weight and having to lose space in the tent by having it diagonal in the sleeping area. But the good sleep means I'll be doing this again when I'm not off roading with gear. The North Ridge roll mat is 0.9kgs so if I did not have this I'm only taking and extra 2kgs and it fits in my dry bag with the rest of the stuff.

When I am on the roll mats I can sleep on my left side and some times on my back for a short time. On the bed I can sleep on both sides and on my back and be just as comfortable all ways.

Works for me

One happy camper:thumbup:

Note: BBcode and smileys are still usable.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Looks a lot like the camp bed we had in the army Paul circa 1980's.

Quite good if you padded out the base as the wire supports were a pain in the back, better than sleeping on the cold ground !

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Trying not to get too personal, can I ask what kind of size, shape and weight you are, I'm broad and in the past have often found them too narrow and this uncomfortable (similar but not this make) so (trying not to answer my own question) maybe I pop into the nearest GO myself and see if they will let me whack one out and give it a test run.
I like the price!

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No problem Shack

I am 6ft and weigh 92kgs = 14st 7ish in old money 45" chest 35" waist

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks a lot like the camp bed we had in the army Paul circa 1980's.

Quite good if you padded out the base as the wire supports were a pain in the back, better than sleeping on the cold ground !
Hi Stubbsie

These do not have anything under or touching the canvas - just the two poles running the length of the bed - the W shaped supports just plug into the 4 holes on each pole

Sorry I did not comprehend anything of what you were saying - I had my iPod on too loud and as wet as it was I wasn't able to take gloves off - hope you had a good ride back

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
I was seriously considering one of these for the National, but stuck with the airbed.

Thanks for the heads up, on my shopping list now :thumbright:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
187 Posts
The problem with the bed originally mentioned in this thread is the poles that form the side support along it's length flex where one slides into the next and eventually break the seam weld.
I know this as we had one and ended up throwing it out. it's fine if you are pencil thin and as light as a feather!

Graeme

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
thanks for the heads up, always like the look of fancy and expensive gear, but haven't got the pockets and a bit of a wriggle arse so would not have been a good purchase for me lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts