Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Kymmy accepts no responsibility for this blondes c
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Xander, if you get a chance to do a winter camping trip, I wonder if you wouldn't mind giving us some feedback on your experience, i.e. how your sleeping bag, tent etc stood up to the temperatures, advice on what you would/wouldn't do again and so on, I've always found the reports from people on this forum a lot more useful than the "experts" !
now that i couldn't agree more with, i looked at a few companies to supply us a complete 'package' of gear to sell with the bikes for africa and could not believe the [email protected]~ocks some came up with, whats worse a few actually contradicted themselves and got there own figures wrong!!!... at the end of the day i dont trust marketing men over people who dont have a wage packet to fill from my purchase............. top thread, keep the ideas coming guys.:thumbup:

also be interested in anyones views on the colman 'exponent' range who is hands on with camping gear ( lol i'm not into cold and wet!!!).....

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
Re: camping in winter?

Xander, the grid for Llyn yr fan fach is SN 833 213. Not sure what your navigation is like but you will need to be able to. Not sure about the legalities but to be honest they are going to have to walk a fair old tab to get to you to tell you your not allowed to camp there.

The mid Wales campsite is at Tyllwyd farm SN 823 752
Cheers love..:D:D My navigation is pretty good.. (we like doing it to geocashing included).
Thanks again..

now that i couldn't agree more with, i looked at a few companies to supply us a complete 'package' of gear to sell with the bikes for africa and could not believe the [email protected]~ocks some came up with, whats worse a few actually contradicted themselves and got there own figures wrong!!!... at the end of the day i dont trust marketing men over people who dont have a wage packet to fill from my purchase............. top thread, keep the ideas coming guys.:thumbup:

also be interested in anyones views on the colman 'exponent' range who is hands on with camping gear ( lol i'm not into cold and wet!!!).....
A complete kit for Africa would be very hard.. as there is too many climates to deal with.. hot during day bloody cold at night and the water issue is the opposite.. (Snow camping I dont carry water.. just have a melt every morning for that days water.) Desert (hot or cold.. ) you need to carry all your water (min 5lt per day plus 50% days extra) ... so that adds a significant weight. In aus the bivi sac is the desert sleeper of choice (but this to keep bugs/night beasties at bay. I personally use my slick rock.. with no fly and bundle up..

As for suggestions ... (I always preach this..) Tents.. I dont like non-free standing tents.. it is a pain in the ass to get a pegged tent to stay up in bull dust.. or in rocky shale.. you cant get the pegs in.. i would go free-standing.. the "extra" weight you carry is worth it (and were can be talking grams difference here.. then you add back in the "sand pegs" and free standing wins by a lot)..

I dont have any experience with Colman 'exponent' range.. but Colman in general i have had nothing but issues with it. One field trip I was on (work) the uni suppled the students with colman gear it lasted until the first wind came up. I did not want to share a tent with students (the liability is too high) so i was using my own tent (slickrock).. i was the only one with a tent on the 4th day.. the lamps and stuff are okay but in my business are considered one week disposable. The stoves are very good. but i dont like gas. Gas is fastest cleanest ect.. but you have to carry the canisters in and OUT ... so on a long trip you start to have dead space.. and this jsut bugs me... I use either msr or primus. Primus is my new toy and new favorite, runs on everything.. from wine to gas, avigas to petrol. i ran it on skunked red wine, a few weeks back... just cus i could:drunken:.

Mats in the desert this you can use any thing.. In alot of ways the blue foam mat is easiest.. no punctures...

Problem with camping gear is that it is very subjective and what will work in one situation will not in an other..

I think i would source different bits from different places..I love this stuff so would be happy to discuss thing further...

·
They say I talk too much.
334 Posts

A complete kit for Africa would be very hard.. as there is too many climates to deal with.. hot during day bloody cold at night
I keep hearing that, the bit about the nights being very cold, and I've actually never experienced it. It greatly depends on the season. The nights I spent in the desert were all above 20 or even 30 degrees C.

Some people have a hard time believing that, because they've watched the Paris Dakar (which is ridden in winter!), and keep insisting that it always freezes in any desert at night... well I'm pretty sure I would have noticed as I was wearing very little except for a silk sheet! ;-)
Oh well, some folks can't handle it if reality gets in the way of all the wisdom they've gathered from watching the telly...

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts

;-)
Oh well, some folks can't handle it if reality gets in the way of all the wisdom they've gathered from watching the telly...
I TAKE REAL OFFENSE TO THAT>>
AS i said "A complete kit for Africa would be very hard.. as there is too many climates to deal wit" .. I have experienced both. hot nights and bloody cold nights in deserts too.. but when things are the same.. (e.g. hot days/nights or cold days/nights) it is far easier to only pack one kit...

you even quoted me on this.. (okay the grammar was poor but not that poor that you could not understand it... )

·
334 Posts

I TAKE REAL OFFENSE TO THAT>>
I wish you wouldn't, since I'm not talking about you at all.
AS i said "A complete kit for Africa would be very hard.. as there is too many climates to deal wit" .. I have experienced both. hot nights and bloody cold nights in deserts too.. but when things are the same.. (e.g. hot days/nights or cold days/nights) it is far easier to only pack one kit...

you even quoted me on this.. (okay the grammar was poor but not that poor that you could not understand it... )
I'm not disagreeing with you in any way.
I think you're misunderstanding me here.

I'm disagreeing with people who keep insisting that nights in the desert are always cold. I don't believe you're one of those people.

I'm sorry that I offended you. I didn't mean to and I don't understand how it happened. It's not always easy being on a foreign language forum.

·
Registered
376 Posts

OK, now that the thread had been hijacked for African camping, I will be camping in the Sahara in January, can any of you guys that seem to have experience with this, offer some advice on what kind of kit I should bring ?.

·
334 Posts

I will be camping in the Sahara in January, can any of you guys that seem to have experience with this, offer some advice on what kind of kit I should bring ?.
Nope, I only know about camping in the Sahara during summer :-X

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts

Not to claim any real hard experience here, but I've got a Coleman Quartz 3 tent and I like it. :)

Pretty solid thing, easy to set up, stands up to "a bit" of rain hammering down, and it fits in a small zega case together with my sleeping bag, mat, tarp, and petrol stove.

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
i ran it on skunked red wine, a few weeks back... just cus i could:drunken:.

quote]
I am disappointed in you,burning red wine:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Surly you could have found something else to burn(a caravan,rare trees,endangered wild life,little children anything but Red Wine):D

It's not always easy being on a foreign language forum.
Dont worry about it they always pick on me cause of my accent.If Xander gets out of hand i usally delete a few of his posts,50-100 would do for a start:D

Woops. Sorry.
Just noticed your sig the little mole,Krtek.What is his name?I remember him from tv when i was a kid:D :D

Xander chill out dude,i think you guys got a classic case of "Lost in translation" stuff going on:D :D :D Trust me on this,happens to me all the time:D :D

·
334 Posts
Just noticed your sig the little mole,Krtek.What is his name?I remember him from tv when i was a kid:D :D
I'm not sure he has one. I know him as Krtek, the Chzech word for Little Mole. Hence, my nickname.

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
I am disappointed in you,burning red wine:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Surly you could have found something else to burn(a caravan,rare trees,endangered wild life,little children anything but Red Wine):D
you know what skunked mean right?? :sign11::sign11::sign11:

and i was cooking the little children so that would not have worked!:toothy10::toothy10:

Dont worry about it they always pick on me cause of my accent.If Xander gets out of hand i usally delete a few of his posts,50-100 would do for a start:D
:mad::mad::mad:

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
:D
you know what skunked mean right?? :sign11::sign11::sign11:

and i was cooking the little children so that would not have worked!:toothy10::toothy10:

:mad::mad::mad:
Yep i do but!!!!! its still wine
Maybe you could have done little children in a red wine sauce with wild rice and fresh veggies:D :D

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
:D
Yep i do but!!!!! its still wine
Maybe you could have done little children in a red wine sauce with wild rice and fresh veggies:D :D
It was a Guinness and cracked black pepper sauce.. with mushroom risotto, and stir fried veggies.. the kids were dss so they needed about 4 hours in the pot to soften up.. but it worked out well in the end.....:twisted::twisted::D:D:D:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts