1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My camshaft is pitted so I will have to replace it very soon
Should I buy an xr600r hotcam?

Are KentCams still in business ?
Can I get the cam reprofiled and reground? is it cost effective?
What is a reasonable cost of a new camshaft(my bike is an 88 Ro2)
Has anyone had dealings with other camshafts price availability thoughts!!

·
Registered
942 Posts
I know the xr650L cam fits as ive got one on my bike,
its exactly the same as the dommi cam shaft,
got mine of ebay usa ,for about half what I would have paid for a 10 year old dommi cam over here,
and this was like new off a bike that was only a couple of years old

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Nick always a pleasure to hear from you:p

I have looked on ebay there seems to be a lot of new ones (hotcams) to choose from
Stage 1 or stage 2
there lies a question, what would be your preference
your thoughts please

·
Registered
942 Posts
hi dave
,no first hand experience of hotcams,ive got a standard xr650L cam in my bike (same as the dommi cam) but from what ive heard with their stage 1 cam you'll loose a bit from the bottom end but gain a bit mid and top end,
not sure a stage 2 is available for the xr650L only the R model which is completely different

have managed to shoehorn the fcr pumper onto my bike ,not that straightforward its a very tight fit,had to make up a offset mounting boot and allsorts,
but it hasn't half given it a kick up the pants :p

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Nick
I have now found two camshafts on evilbay, both in the states.
Did you have to pay import/tax duty on your camshaft?
I have been very fortunate I am in contact with a really nice guy who is going to send me pix and details on how to fit my fcr carb "offset mounting boot and allsorts" sounds difficult but its only metal so it will do as I say:p

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hi Nick
I have now found two camshafts on evilbay, both in the states.
Did you have to pay import/tax duty on your camshaft?
I have been very fortunate I am in contact with a really nice guy who is going to send me pix and details on how to fit my fcr carb "offset mounting boot and allsorts" sounds difficult but its only metal so it will do as I say:p
cant remember if I paid import tax or not,bought a few things from the states and sometimes have to pay tax and sometimes I don't,dosent seem to be much pattern to it,
have you got yourself a fcr then? I think you'll be quite impressed it really does wake the bike up,mine was off a crf450x paid £125 for it,the standard dominator throttle cables hooked straight up and the choke cable fitted the dominator bar mounted lever :),
would describe making up the bits and bobs as more fiddly than difficult,but well worth the day in the shed

http://

·
Registered
34 Posts
New Honda XR650 XR650L Hotcam Hot Cams Stage 1 Cam | eBay

I bought this Hotcam and installed it in my '95 RD08 Domi. Not really noticable power shift, seems to be better in midrange. MUCH quieter now! :) No precomp wheel.

Picked up arms here:

Brand New 4pcs Arm Valve Rocker Honda XR NX GB XR600 XR650L NX650 GB500 | eBay

NB!! The adjusting screws are the wrong length for newer Domis and have to be exchanged for the older screws. Otherwise drops right in.

BTW, In Norway we pay 25% Norwegian vat, also on the shipping. Rip off...

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
In Norway we pay 25% Norwegian vat, also on the shipping. Rip off...
Its the same here in Denmark regarding importing from outside of europe.
I have a friend in the states who gets my parts for me and ships them and writes the value down as $50 and I have never been taxed.
Only problem with that is if the package goes missing you can only claim for $50 with the insurance.
I just had an exhaust stolen from outside my flat and now I have to claim from post denmark which will probably leave me out of pocket.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
cant remember if I paid import tax or not,bought a few things from the states and sometimes have to pay tax and sometimes I don't,dosent seem to be much pattern to it,
have you got yourself a fcr then? I think you'll be quite impressed it really does wake the bike up,mine was off a crf450x paid £125 for it,the standard dominator throttle cables hooked straight up and the choke cable fitted the dominator bar mounted lever :),
would describe making up the bits and bobs as more fiddly than difficult,but well worth the day in the shed

Hi nick, could you explain what this mod is as anything that can give my bike a bit more oompf sounds like a must do modification.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hi nick, could you explain what this mod is as anything that can give my bike a bit more oompf sounds like a must do modification.
certainly sir,the carb in my hand is a keihin fcr40mx a flatslide carb with accelerator pump,fitted to virtually all non fuel injected 450 mx bikes,
after reading all about fitting them to the xr650L here FCR-40MX Carb - Awesome Upgrade - XR600/650 - ThumperTalk came to the conclusion I needed to try this on my nx650 scrambler,
so went and bought myself a very clean carb off a crf450 ,getting it to fit in the dominator frame was a bit of a challenge,the frame side rails must be further spaced on the XRL also they are round and less bulky than the dominators square frame tubes,
so the carb couldn't just be fitted using the dominator carb to head boot,as the carb needed to be half inch lower to get between the frame tubes and canted slightly to the left ,so had to fabricate an inlet boot that repositioned the carb,not much room for error as its a very tight fit,
in my opinion it was well worth my effort,bike pulls much stronger all the way through the rev range,is more responsive and much smoother too,also the guys that have them fitted to their XR 650L's reckon they get more mpg too but ive not really had chance to test this yet

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
certainly sir,the carb in my hand is a keihin fcr40mx a flatslide carb with accelerator pump,fitted to virtually all non fuel injected 450 mx bikes,
after reading all about fitting them to the xr650L here FCR-40MX Carb - Awesome Upgrade - XR600/650 - ThumperTalk came to the conclusion I needed to try this on my nx650 scrambler,
so went and bought myself a very clean carb off a crf450 ,getting it to fit in the dominator frame was a bit of a challenge,the frame side rails must be further spaced on the XRL also they are round and less bulky than the dominators square frame tubes,
so the carb couldn't just be fitted using the dominator carb to head boot,as the carb needed to be half inch lower to get between the frame tubes and canted slightly to the left ,so had to fabricate an inlet boot that repositioned the carb,not much room for error as its a very tight fit,
in my opinion it was well worth my effort,bike pulls much stronger all the way through the rev range,is more responsive and much smoother too,also the guys that have them fitted to their XR 650L's reckon they get more mpg too but ive not really had chance to test this yet
I might have a go at this modification for my dommie,I need to see if santa will sort a carb out for me.
Was the inlet manifold from a dommie or a CRF or something you fabricated from scratch?

·
Registered
942 Posts
I might have a go at this modification for my dommie,I need to see if santa will sort a carb out for me.
Was the inlet manifold from a dommie or a CRF or something you fabricated from scratch?
fabricated from scratch,
used carbs are generally £100 - £150 I paid £125 for mine its off a '06 crf450x the same carbs will be used on nearly all the different 450 mx bikes,
I think for the price and the improvement it makes to performance its well worth doing,so long as you can make it fit,
just having a break from making an adaptor to fit the intake side of the carb so that I can fit a nice big k+n filter,

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Nick,
ball really rolling now,
FCR carb arrived today, stage 1 hotcam xr650L on its way ,do not know how long from usa , cam was a reasonable price however tax and import duty hiked up the price, head cleaned valves cleaned bit of valve lapping new valve stem seals,new cam chain on order (bike funds going down fast:mad:)

"so had to fabricate an inlet boot that repositioned the carb,":thumbup: from what please? will you be changing any jets? Ramair filter ?K&N?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
"so had to fabricate an inlet boot that repositioned the carb,":thumbup: from what please? will you be changing any jets? Ramair filter ?K&N?
When you do your fabrication of your boot , could you post some pictures as I fancy doing this mod to my dommie over the coming winter,(amongst other things):thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts